Topics

How to prime fresh water on an Amel 55, anyone?

Billy Newport

We turned off the fresh water pump from the DC panel and let a tap run which lowered the water pressure to 0 before doing some plumbing work today. I expected that when I turned back on the fresh water pump breaker, the pump would repressurize the circuit but turning on the breaker didn't do anything. The fresh water pump isn't starting.

How do I get the fresh water system going again? The Amel manual has very little if nothing about it or at least than I can find.

Any help apprec,
Billy

Amel 55#56

Matt Salatino

If it’s anything like our 50, there is a lever on the pressure switch plumbed into the fresh water pump. Turn the breaker on, then lift the lever. The pump should start. This might or might not prime the system. If it does, fine. If not, put a hose from the dock into the hose outlet. We have one in the cockpit and by the bow locker for the anchor wash. This will pressurize the system. Then you’re back in business. As soon as the system is pressurized, remove the dock hose. Things should now work.
Don’t ask now I know this....:-)

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 27, 2020, at 6:02 PM, Billy Newport <billy@...> wrote:

We turned off the fresh water pump from the DC panel and let a tap run which lowered the water pressure to 0 before doing some plumbing work today. I expected that when I turned back on the fresh water pump breaker, the pump would repressurize the circuit but turning on the breaker didn't do anything. The fresh water pump isn't starting.

How do I get the fresh water system going again? The Amel manual has very little if nothing about it or at least than I can find.

Any help apprec,
Billy

Amel 55#56

John Clanton

Billy,

On the output side of the pump (where the pipes come in and go out), there is a pressure switch which turns the pump on and off as the pressure dictates.  When the pressure goes down to zero, there is a safety function on the pressure switch which keeps it off.  I am not on the boat now and so cannot provide photos, but have experienced what you are talking about.

The pressure switch mechanism is a grey plastic box about 3” by 3” by 3”, and has the Square D (manufacturer) logo on the top.  On the right side, of the pressure switch mechanism, towards the base of it, is a small chrome/stainless steel round rod/lever that when pulled up, will manually start the pressure pump, and after a moment or two, it will maintain the pressure normally.

Specific instructions (from memory) are:

  • Be sure all the water taps are closed.
  • Turn the 24v water pump breaker on (you won’t see a light illuminated until the pump actually turns on).
  • Go down into the engine room and put your hand on the right side of the grey Square D pressure switch.  With a flashlight, you can probably look at the lower right side of the pressure switch and see the chrome lever.
  • Pull the lever up, it only needs to move a half inch or so, and the pump should engage.
  • On my boat, there is a pressure gauge on the top of the pump that shows the pressure in the freshwater circuit downstream of the pressure pump.
  • If you hold the lever up for 5 -10 seconds, the system should engage normally without you needing to keep holding the lever.

This is all that should be required to get the system back into “normal” mode.  Both the pump and the pressure switch are very reliable, and shouldn’t need to be adjusted or rebuilt for 10+ years.

That being said, anytime the system is drained/relieved of pressure, the manual lever will have to be engaged to get the pump re-engaged.

Best of luck.

John W. Clanton

S/V Devereux, A55, No. 65

Currently in Antibes, France

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited.

The switch on the side of the Square D pressure switch is to turn ON the pump motor when circumstances prohibit the motor from turning on. I do not see who this will help in priming. The OEM pump on the 50 and 55 are self-priming. To prime turn, the pump ON at the DC panel and open the galley tap. It might take a few minutes.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 6:14 PM Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes, but if the pump is running, there is no need to move the over-ride switch on the side of the Square D pressure switch.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 6:18 PM John Clanton <jclanton@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill, my fw pump isn’t self priming. It’s easy to prime, but needs help if the lines go empty.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 27, 2020, at 9:57 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Do yo add water?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020, 9:03 PM Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes,

On Sep 27, 2020, at 10:41 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

John and Matt were correct.  Moving the switch on the d square reprimed the system.

Billy Newport

Thats a good tip with the hose to re-pressurize/reprime also.

Matt Salatino

It works, even if you fill from a bucket, but if pressurized water, remember to remove it, as it will keep the pressure switch turned off.