Topics

Bottom paint

Patrick McAneny

The bottom of my keel is going to be sand blasted in a few day,I will immediately apply several coats of Petit Rustlok ,followed by several coats of barrier coat and then a couple of coats of bottom paint. I have used Sea Hawk Biocop before and their Cukote also. They say to compare it to Micron CSC ,which is like $80 Gal. compared to $210. for Cukote ,big difference when you are talking about six gallons. Has anyone used CSC and would they use it again? I need a paint good for salt and fresh water,any recommendations.
BTW , the new rub rails are being shipped today ,for you owners that were part of the group purchase.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Craig Briggs

Hi Pat,
Regarding your keel blasting and refinishing, I'd recommend you review Joel's "classic" post #2960 (and 2964 and 2116). (Just type the number in the "Msg #" box above.)

Plus you could review this Petit Technical Bulletin specifying only one coat of Rustlok, followed within 1/2 to 2 hours by three coats of Petit High Build Epoxy Primer, then fairing as needed with 7050 EZ Fair, then two coats of antifouling with a Petit product.

Note the Technical Bulletin does not call for any barrier coat, because, of course, this is cast iron, not fiberglass.

Joel's posts advise to stick to one manufacturer's system, so if you start with Petit, stay with Petit. And the key to all is to get the first coat (Rustlok) applied within minutes after sandblasting.

Good luck with the project - and thanks for arranging the new rub rails - I'm picking mine up tomorrow.
Best,
Craig -- SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Patrick McAneny

Craig , I was just reading that page this morning,yet elsewhere they suggest a min. of three coats of Rustlok. The Petit tech guy this morning said that I don't need to use a barrier coat ,but it would provide more protection from water penetration, maybe their high build primer is a barrier coat. I already have Interlux 2000 ,so probably go with that . Three coats of rustloc and three barrier coats and two paint coats ,should be good .
[...]

Pat,
You're right - their Technical Bulletin says one coat and their Product Data Sheet says three minimum. Also says don't let anything dry before the next coat until you've got the High Build Epoxy primer on (first coat, I'd assume.)
Their words suggest the Rustloc is the water proof part, so a specific barrier coat seems redundant, plus there is no fiberglass to protect from osmosis.
Good luck with it.

Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Patrick McAneny

Craig, Three coats have to be better than one ,and the barrier coats can only  help to keep the keel dry ,plus it provides a better bond for the bottom paint . Looking at Petit Premium HRT ,the manager at a local marina has gotten 3 yrs. and only $129. Gal.