Topics

Sq. footage of hull

Craig Briggs

Interesting that the Delos crew seem not to know that Amel has always used a barrier coat inside the gelcoat such that blisters are not an issue. After sand-blasting, which may have compromised the gelcoat/barrier coat they then applied 3 layer$ of barrier coat. Oh well, belts and suspender$ and suspender$ and suspender$. Great that a blog can handle the budget.
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Sheriffdep

Edited

SV Delos has a good video for measuring the sq footage of the SM2k bottom and they used 9 gal of primer "I think"for their bottom. Around 705sqft. One layer grey, one white, and another grey. Then they used a new tech type spray on coating for the anti foul.  But that video is SV Delos Bottom Work in Grenada and that will tell you exactly how much they used, I just haven't watched it in awhile.  Hope this helps, in reading what others put you have several options for sizes.

Pat,

I can tell you that the many times we painted the bottom, it took most of a 20-liter pale (available in most parts of the world). We painted 2 full coats and a 3rd on the waterline, keel, skeg, and rudder.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 2:00 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Pat,

I don’t know the sq ft but, I have always estimated 4 gallons for three coats. Also, I add an extra gallon for extra paint at the water-line and downward about one foot. Total: 5 gallons.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

I am buying Interprotect 2000 and I want to order the correct number of gallons to do three coats. Does anyone know how many sq. feet the hull is on a SM ? If I ever knew I have forgotten.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mark Erdos