Shore Power Breaker Trip - Problem apparently on the boat


Mark Garver
 

Two nights ago our shore power breaker tripped, so I shut all power circuits down on the boat and tried to reset it and got a spark and smoke at the shore power pedestal. Tried another pedestal so began to investigate on the boat. Found a problem, but since I don’t have a complete wiring diagram I’m kind of guessing as I go along. Does anyone know what this is or function of this? It appears to be where shore power comes in and out. There are a lot of burnt wires behind it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
S/V It’s Good
SM #105
Gloucester Point, VA


Alan Grayson
 

Hi Mark that is the auto switch over for shore power and Generator. It is a common fault after this long. I removed mine and put in a manual switch Which means I have to go into the engine room and manually switch over from generator to shore power on the rare occasions I go into a marina. I’ll hunt down the part number of the manual switch and post when I find it?Image.jpeg
And here is the new installation 
Image.jpeg
Regards
Alan Grayson
SM 406 Ora Pai
Brunswick, GA


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Garver via groups.io <mgarver@...>
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 10:37:00 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Shore Power Breaker Trip - Problem apparently on the boat
 
Two nights ago our shore power breaker tripped, so I shut all power circuits down on the boat and tried to reset it and got a spark and smoke at the shore power pedestal. Tried another pedestal so began to investigate on the boat. Found a problem, but since I don’t have a complete wiring diagram I’m kind of guessing as I go along. Does anyone know what this is or function of this? It appears to be where shore power comes in and out. There are a lot of burnt wires behind it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
S/V It’s Good
SM #105
Gloucester Point, VA


Chris Doucette
 


Mark,
 
I replaced the solenoid based shore-power Gen switch and landed on the exact BlueSeas switch Alan used- I don't like automagical switching, especially with the 50 /60 hz issue.  I also have an isolation transformer that will be going in very soon for the shore power.

In my case, I did not install the switch in the engine room, rather I ran the necessary AC  wiring to this box (now a junction box) to a location in the Gally next to the AC Panel and just above the Genset Start t so I can work everything AC from there.

Chris
SM 385 Amorak


Mark Garver
 

Thanks guys I know how I’m proceeding!

Fair Winds,

Mark
S/V It’s Good
SM #105
Gloucester Point, VA


On Nov 3, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Chris Doucette <amaroksailing@...> wrote:



Mark,
 
I replaced the solenoid based shore-power Gen switch and landed on the exact BlueSeas switch Alan used- I don't like automagical switching, especially with the 50 /60 hz issue.  I also have an isolation transformer that will be going in very soon for the shore power.

In my case, I did not install the switch in the engine room, rather I ran the necessary AC  wiring to this box (now a junction box) to a location in the Gally next to the AC Panel and just above the Genset Start t so I can work everything AC from there.

Chris
SM 385 Amorak


Germain Jean-Pierre
 

Hello Alan,

I extended the wires into the forward face of the cockpit locker and installed my manual selector above the Oban controls. 

Tidier and less faffing to get shore power connected. :-)

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain,Eleuthera, SM007, NZ


On 4/11/2020, at 5:21 AM, Alan Grayson <bazgrayson@...> wrote:


Hi Mark that is the auto switch over for shore power and Generator. It is a common fault after this long. I removed mine and put in a manual switch Which means I have to go into the engine room and manually switch over from generator to shore power on the rare occasions I go into a marina. I’ll hunt down the part number of the manual switch and post when I find it?
<Image.jpeg>
And here is the new installation 
<Image.jpeg>

Regards
Alan Grayson
SM 406 Ora Pai
Brunswick, GA


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Garver via groups.io <mgarver@...>
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 10:37:00 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Shore Power Breaker Trip - Problem apparently on the boat
 
Two nights ago our shore power breaker tripped, so I shut all power circuits down on the boat and tried to reset it and got a spark and smoke at the shore power pedestal. Tried another pedestal so began to investigate on the boat. Found a problem, but since I don’t have a complete wiring diagram I’m kind of guessing as I go along. Does anyone know what this is or function of this? It appears to be where shore power comes in and out. There are a lot of burnt wires behind it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
S/V It’s Good
SM #105
Gloucester Point, VA

<IMG_6212.PNG>
<IMG_6211.PNG>


Mark Garver
 

Thanks John Pierre, does anyone have the part number of the switch they used? I know Alan was going to try to locate it for me.

Thanks again everyone!

Mark
S/V It’s Good
SM #105
Gloucester, VA


On Nov 3, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Hello Alan,

I extended the wires into the forward face of the cockpit locker and installed my manual selector above the Oban controls. 

Tidier and less faffing to get shore power connected. :-)

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain,Eleuthera, SM007, NZ


On 4/11/2020, at 5:21 AM, Alan Grayson <bazgrayson@...> wrote:


Hi Mark that is the auto switch over for shore power and Generator. It is a common fault after this long. I removed mine and put in a manual switch Which means I have to go into the engine room and manually switch over from generator to shore power on the rare occasions I go into a marina. I’ll hunt down the part number of the manual switch and post when I find it?
<Image.jpeg>
And here is the new installation 
<Image.jpeg>

Regards
Alan Grayson
SM 406 Ora Pai
Brunswick, GA


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Garver via groups.io <mgarver@...>
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 10:37:00 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Shore Power Breaker Trip - Problem apparently on the boat
 
Two nights ago our shore power breaker tripped, so I shut all power circuits down on the boat and tried to reset it and got a spark and smoke at the shore power pedestal. Tried another pedestal so began to investigate on the boat. Found a problem, but since I don’t have a complete wiring diagram I’m kind of guessing as I go along. Does anyone know what this is or function of this? It appears to be where shore power comes in and out. There are a lot of burnt wires behind it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
S/V It’s Good
SM #105
Gloucester Point, VA

<IMG_6212.PNG>
<IMG_6211.PNG>


Chris Doucette