--
Slavko
SM 2000

Germain Jean-Pierre

I never perform this task but I have heard the following from others who have.

You cannot remove the door unless you remove the dodger and most people refuse to do that. You can lift the door as far up as it can, affix it there so you can work on the surface and perhaps just sand and then recover with hi quality gloss epoxy paint would be my choice. Apparently, only the very bottom of the door remains covered by the sliders and this is not visible in normal use.

Good luck in your project.

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, New Zealand

On 4/11/2020, at 6:30 AM, Slavko D. <slavko@...> wrote:

I have very bad hutch door on my SM. Does not look nice at all. See photo attached. I am not sure how to get it better. Just sand it, put some epoxy and then several layers of UV protected varnish. Is this the way to go? I am going to boat tomorrow and will check if door an be taken out, or all the work has to be done on the boat.
Thank you.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
<TRRF7530.pdf>

FYI,

The companionway door cannot be removed. I found Chris Waelen in Jolly Harbour Boatyard, Jolly Harbour, Antigua. Chris works wonders with anything wood. I looked him up because he replaced the veneer on the companionway door of an Amel 54 with teak veneer. He does this job with the door in place.
Here is a photo:

The turnkey price is $300 US.
Contact Information
Anything Wood Boat Builder
+1 268-726-1690

I include all of this information because even if you are not in Antigua, I believe if you find a capable wood-working guy, you can probably match the quality and price.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 1:14 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
[...]

<TRRF7530.pdf>

Alan Grayson

Hi Slavko, we painted ours with awlgrip after sanding and fairing. It all has to be done in place but you can lift the door all the way to the dodger roof by removing a piece of plywood which stops the door raising all the way. It was a bit messy with the sanding dust but lots of plastic and tape keeps most of it outside.
Alan Grayson
SM 406 Ora Pai
Image.jpeg

Dan

Hi Slavko.
 I used veneer on mine. Mahogany
Good luck
Daniel
Mango 33 Sarqui

On Nov 3, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Alan Grayson <bazgrayson@...> wrote:

Hi Slavko, we painted ours with awlgrip after sanding and fairing. It all has to be done in place but you can lift the door all the way to the dodger roof by removing a piece of plywood which stops the door raising all the way. It was a bit messy with the sanding dust but lots of plastic and tape keeps most of it outside.
Alan Grayson
SM 406 Ora Pai
<Image.jpeg>

Ian Townsend

We did ours with African Mahagony veneer. Ordered thru Amazon. We did it in place, no door removal required.

Ian
Loca Lola II
SM 153
US East Coast

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Karen Smith

This topic come around about every year, I think!

Actually, the companionway vertical door most certainly can be removed, and without raising the dodger.  Ours is out right now for renewal of its varnish. Once you make a minor modification to the woodwork, removing it for maintenance is easy from then on.  For me, any reveneering  or even just refinishing job, done without removing the door from its tracks would be a half job.  Here is how it is done:

Using a very fine saw (a fine tooth blade in an oscillating multi tool like a Fein works well) cut off the inside of the track on the starboard side. Once the track is opened, the door can easily be removed for proper veneering or painting, or varnish, or whatever.  If this step is beyond your woodworking tools or skills, it’s worth hiring a good marine carpenter to do it for you.

Before cutting, remove  the screws that go into the wood from the cockpit, or you’ll have to cut through them. Not impossible, but annoying.

This part of the door track can be reattached with spacers of wood, plastic or metal to make up for the saw kerf. We installed ours with flush flat head screws we left visible on the inside, but you certainly could countersink and plug them if you wanted them hidden.  To keep the hatch as waterproof as it started you can run a bead of brown colored silicone to seal the saw kerf as you put it back together.  Although short of filling the cockpit with water, it would not make much difference.  Done with a bit of care, the whole process ends up being quite invisible to any but the most fastidious inspection.

We had a post about this some time ago with pictures. Here is a relink to it: https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/refinishing-and-repairing-the-super-maramu-companionway/

Giving credit where credit is due, this way of dealing with the companionway came as a suggestion from Joel Potter.

Bill Kinney
SM#160
Harmonie
Annapolis MD.

Jarek Zemlo

Slavko Hi,

I replaced my companionway door this August with a brand new made by boat carpenter. There was no problem with lifting the hard dodger and putting it back. You need 1 person to help you with lifting the dodger.
Jarek Zemlo
S/Y NOA BLUE

william reynolds

   There is another solution to the Hatch Door problem. If you lift the door and cut it off with a Fein tool at 20 inches, the lower section will come right out. Then you square off the cut on a table saw and epoxy thin teak faces on the cuts. Rejoin the two halves with a SS piano hinge  (on the inside face) and add a thin gasket between the two halves. The hatch now can be removed for refinishing or repair anytime with no fuss. You simply lift the door 20 inches, pivot the top section forward and remove the door. If additional security is desired, an additional  SS backing plate can be  installed in the inside of the door.  Now the hatch can be removed for painting or repair and replaced at any time.
 Bill Reynolds.
Cloudstreet SM2K 331