Silicone BT seals

Jose Venegas

Jose, do you still use the inner neoprene seals, too?
YES

Do you use RTV sealant to keep them in place?
I USED SILICON SEALANT

Any other tips?
Lubricate trunk with silicon grease periodically

karkauai

Thanks, Steve and Jose, fir the Pics abd description.
Jose, do you still use the inner neoprene seals, too?  Do you use RTV sealant to keep them in place?  Any other tips?

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Jose Venegas

Actually I am not sure which order works best. Either one should do the job
Only time will tell us
The important thing is to use a silicon RTV glue. This year, after 2 years I serviced the BT but I did NOT CHANGE THE SEAS.
I did glued the foam donut to the silicone seals to avoid it going up and down but I agree that it may not be needed

Jose Venegas

Four years and going strong

The two seals in series have the lips facing the sea. See pix

Dan Wilcox

Are the seals still available?  This is a constant problem I'm fighting.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM#86

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 12:32:45 PM EDT, Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

I can’t promise you the way I installed the seals is correct, but I can tell you that we have gone over 4000 miles since installation with zero water intrusion. The way you received the seals fitted together is not the way they are installed. Also, the seals will not be flush, but will be about 1/8” above the flat surface around them. Because of this, I attempted to contact cement the upper foam seal against the silicone seal, and that didn’t really work. I now have the foam seal free floating between the bottom of the motor and the top of the seal. It really just acts as a pad between the motor and the seals when the motor is in the down position. You do not need the foam seal to prevent water intrusion, as no water gets by the silicone seals. Another difference in the install is that I used a lot of adhesive RTV sealant (black) to firmly hold the seals in place, and have had no issues with the seals coming out. I also put a very thin coat on Moly-kote on the shaft of the thruster to make it move a bit easier through the 2 seals. see the attached picture for the orientation of my seals.

Prior to the installation of the silicone seals, we always had water getting in the boat in spite of servicing the thruster once a year. This is one of the better improvements I have made to the boat, and it has completely solved the water getting by the seals issue. Another benefit is that I see absolutely no reason to change the seals until you see some deterioration of the silicone, which I expect to be many years.

Good luck with the install.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Anchored in Poulsbo, WA

Stephen Davis

[...]

I need instructions on orientation of the bow thruster seals designed by Jose. I have a set, but haven't installed them yet.  Have others installed them with similar success as Jose has had?

Are there pics or schematic of them in place?

Thanks
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

william reynolds

Hi
Have you still got any of the BT seals you bought that wee designed by Jose?
If so, I'd like 2 if you still them.
Bill Reynolds
Cloud Street SM2K 331
Sain Martin

eric freedman

I usually keep the anchor untied until we get to sea.

You never know when the stuff hits the fan.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: William O'Toole <william@...>
Date: 11/9/20 8:12 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: "main@amelyachtowners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Leslie,
This is exactly what I was hoping to find. Had a friend that actually had the anchor (not secured) dislodge in a short choppy swell. As he described it, it was so unexpected, and the retrieving it while underway, was an experience balancing between terrifying and hysterically funny. Always said a boat can instantaneously turn anyone into looking like a complete idiot in a second.

Thanks again for the great samples. Reduces the folly factor!

--
William O'Toole
President
EcoNomics, Inc.
832 Camino Del Mar, Suite 1
Del Mar, California   92014
(858) 793-9200 Main Office
(858) 886-6657 San Juan Capistrano Office
(805) 331-9591 Cellular

On Nov 8, 2020, at 1:50 PM, Leslie Washburn via groups.io <washburn.leslie1@...> wrote:

William,

Here are a few samples that could be helpful.

SAMPLE #1

<image002.png>

SAMPLE #2

1 Before leaving marina / moving vessel
Anchor chain/line • Chain & line. Chafe ?
Anchor winch • Does it work/ handle available ?
Cockpit drain • Is it clogged ?
Compass light • Check it at night
Engine belts • Tight ? Worn ? Aligned ?
Engines • Inspection for leaks etc Spares
EPIRB • In date?
Fire extinguishers • In date / Charged
Flashlights • Do they work ? Spare batteries
Handheld instruments • Batteries good? Do they work?
Hatches • Do they close 100%. Handles, knobs etc
Instruments • Turn them on to check ?
Lifelines • Visual inspection for breaks etc
Lights • Interior, exterior & Nav lights. Spare bulbs.
Lockers • Make sure they lock shut.
Man-over-board gear • Check quick release and condition
Navigation lights • Easy to check at night
Outboard engine • You have spares ? Does it work ?
Ports • Do they close 100%. Handles, knobs etc
Radios • Batteries ? Do they work? Licenses ?
Safety equipment • Valid date ? Ready for use ?
Stanchions • Are they solid ?
Toilets • In good working order ? Holding tank OK ?
Clean Propeller • Dive and check
2 Before long ocean passage
Cockpit drain • Is it clogged ?
Compass light • Check it at night
Engine mounts • Visual inspection. Are they secure ?
EPIRB • In date?
Expiry dates • Ship papers/radio licences etc.
Fire extinguishers • In date / charged
Flashlights • Do they work ? Spare batteries.
Gas bottles • Rusty? Are they secure? Change hose ?
Odour?
Gas locker • Is vent hole plugged?
Handheld instruments • Batteries good ? Do they work?
Lifelines • Visual inspection for breaks etc
Liferaft • In date? Secure ? Accessible ?
Lights • Interior, exterior & Nav lights. Spare bulbs.
Man-over-board gear • Check quick release and condition
Navigation lights • Easy to check at night
Rigging • Visual inspection from top to bottom.
Roller furlers • Rinse, grease, visual inspection.
Free running ?
Safety equipment • Valid date ? Ready for use ?
Sails • Stitching. Chafe
Ship's papers - Visas • Complete
Stanchions • Are they solid ?
Wind vane • Check it out before you need it
3 Daily
Gas leak • Is there any odour near/under the stove/
pipes?
4 Weekly
Bilges • Is there water/ fuel present ?
Fuel leaks • Fuel in the bilge/ around the tanks ?
Underwater leaks • If salt water in bilges check all fittings
5 Monthly
Batteries • Acid level ? Clean terminals ?
Deck leaks • Check chainplates/hatches/ports etc. ?
Electrics • Run everything to make sure it works.
Spare fuses.
Engines • Inspection for leaks etc Spares
Fire extinguishers • Positions, mounting, in date ?
Flashlights • Do they work? Spare batteries ?
Gas locker • Is vent hole plugged?
Pumps • Do they work? Handles for manual pumps
Toilets • In good working order ? Holding tank OK ?
Seacock • Open / Close / Check movement

SAMPLE #3
ON DECK
  • Anchors are shackled and seized to rode, and there is some means of securing them to bow-roller / deck-chocks (or below deck) once you leave confined waters
  • Bitter end of anchor rode is secured to boat below decks
  • Chain hawsepipe is as watertight as possible
  • Deck storage cans for water and fuel are well-lashed
  • Deck-mounted dinghy is tightly lashed
  • Outboard motor is securely stowed on pushpit, in deck locker or elsewhere on deck where fuel cannot leak into boat
  • Outboard fuel securely stowed on deck or in a sealed deck locker
  • Rubber gaskets on hatches and opening ports are sound
  • Hatches and ports shut and dogged, hatch-covers fitted as appropriate
  • Deck-filler caps for fuel and water properly done-up and o-rings in good condition
  • Cockpit drains are clear and draining freely
  • Washboards are sound and handy (ready to fit when needed)
  • Lifeline connectors are in good condition and properly done up
  • Lifelines/stanchions are strong enough to support a heavy crewmember’s weight
  • Stanchions are secured with pins or bolts in their bases; bases are bolted securely through deck (not screwed)
  • Sharp knife stowed close to cockpit for emergency rope-cutting
SAILS
  • all sails inspected for rips, holes and broken stitching on seams
  • batten ends securely fastened and in good condition
  • sail slides in good condition (none worn, broken or sun-damaged)
  • Roller headsails furl freely and top swivel is working properly
  • Headsail hanks working freely
  • Comprehensive sail repair kit on board, plus spare sailcloth and strong adhesive for major ‘instant’ repairs
REEFING
  • Roller reefing lubricated and handle stowed in appropriate place
  • Slab reefing lines working and chafe-free
SPARS
  • No metal-fatigue, corrosion or chafe on load-bearing fittings such as mast crane and shroud tangs
  • Spreaders are secure at inboard end and correctly angled
  • Anti-chafe on spreader-ends to prevent damage to sails
  • Wooden spars inspected for shakes or areas of softness around fittings
RIGGING
  • Bosun’s chair is in good condition and stowed somewhere accessible in case of emergency
  • Rigging wire is sound: no broken strands, particularly around terminal fittings
  • Shackle-pins (aloft & on deck) firmly done up and seized
  • All shackles, terminals, turning blocks and mast fittings inspected for fractures, wear and pitting
  • Sheaves turn freely
  • Split-pins/rings in all rigging screws or turnbuckles (aloft & on deck)
  • Exposed split-pins are taped to prevent snagging of sheets, sails or passing legs
  • Rig is correctly tensioned: mast is in column and leaning neither to port or starboard
  • Chainplates inspected for cracks or corrosion
  • Hacksaw plus spare blades on board (for emergency rigging removal), and bull-dog clips for a jury rig
STEERING
  • Rudder has no excessive play
  • Wheel steering: cables are properly tensioned, lubricated and protected from interference by gear stowed nearby.  Inspect for broken strands.
  • Tiller is sound (no splits or cracks) and firmly secured to rudder stock
  • Self-steering is correctly set up
  • Emergency tiller has been tested and crew know how to find, rig and use it
HEAVY WEATHER GEAR
  • Trysail and storm jib have been hoisted and checked for condition, sheeting angles, tack strops etc
  • Rode, turning blocks and anti-chafe assembled and accessible for sea-anchor/drogue
  • Storm boards accessible for windows and skylights
DOWN BELOW
  • Seacocks are working freely; skin fittings in good condition
  • All through-hulls have tapered softwood bungs attached by lanyard in case of skin-fitting failure
  • Flexible piping is secured to through-hull fittings with double hose-clamps.  Hose clamps in good condition
  • All siphon-breaks and breathers clear and working
  • All movable items are stowed in lockers, fastened or lashed in place
  • Fiddles are in ‘offshore’ position
  • All drawers and locker doors have catches to prevent them flying open at sea
  • Lee cloths/boards for bunks are strong and have adequate fastenings
ENGINE
  • Overheat alarm/light is working
  • Drip tray under engine is oil-free
  • Fuel tanks are full
  • Fuel sumps and filters checked for water and diesel fungus
  • Oil is clean and topped up
  • You have enough spare oil on board for at least one oil-change
  • Cooling water through-hull and strainer are clear of blockages and growth
  • Drive belts inspected for condition and correct tension
  • Stern gland adjusted and lubricated
ENGINE RUNNING CHECKS
  • Cooling water is pumping
  • Throttle control and gear-shift are working correctly
  • No excessive vibration
  • Ammeter/voltmeter shows alternator is charging
POWER GENERATION
  • You have sufficient means of generating power to run navigation lights, house lights, instruments and any other appliances you wish to use at sea
  • Batteries are holding a charge
  • Batteries are securely contained in boxes clear of bilge-water
  • Battery terminals are clean, free of corrosion, and cables securely connected
  • Electrolyte level correct in battery cells (if not, top up with distilled water)
GALLEY
  • Galley-strap securely fastened, and strong enough to take a heavy crewmember’s weight
  • Stove has adequate fiddles to retain pans/kettle in rough seas
  • Gas bottles properly stowed; gas alarm working
  • Gas bottles, valves, piping and stove checked for condition
  • Sufficient food and stove-fuel on board for anticipated passage-time plus safety margin
  • All dry stores in waterproof packaging or containers
  • Rough weather provisions (snacks, instant meals etc) easily accessible
WATER
  • All water tanks topped-up and caps securely in place
  • Tank plumbing checked for leaks
  • Flexible water bladders protected against chafe
  • Manual fresh water pump working
  • Pressure water pump system turned OFF
  • Toilets tested and free of leaks
FIRE
  • Extinguishers are in good condition and mounted in places they can be accessed easily during an engine or galley fire
  • Engine fuel shut-off valve located and tested
  • Bucket stowed in cockpit or lazarette for use in engine-room fire or emergency bailing situation
  • Fire blanket is easily accessible (not buried in a locker)
LEAK MANAGEMENT
  • You have at least 2 bilge pumps on board, one of them manual
  • Bilges and limber-holes are clear of debris (so will not block pumps)
  • Manual bilge pump hose is fitted with a strainer
  • Manual bilge pump is strongly mounted and working efficiently, with handle easy to access in emergency
  • Electric bilge pump working (including float switch and panel light)
  • Electric bilge pump switched to ‘AUTO’
  • Bilges are dry (to allow monitoring of leaks underway)
  • Rudder tube and gland checked for leaks
  • All areas of bilge are accessible in case you need to inspect at sea
  • Crew are aware that head valves must be closed immediately after use
NAVIGATION
  • GPS is working and securely mounted
  • GPS waypoints double-checked for co-ordinate accuracy and datum discrepancies
  • Compass is correctly adjusted, with deviation card on board
  • Nothing metal or magnetic (tools, aerosol cans, radio, cameras) stowed near compass
  • Log, depth-sounder etc correctly calibrated and barometer set
  • Sufficient chart coverage of planned and contingency routes, as well as pilotage information
  • Plotting tools (pencils, dividers, parallel rules/protractor etc)
  • Hand-bearing compass and binoculars are secure but accessible
  • Relevant tide tables on board
NIGHT SAILING
  • Compass light working
  • Chart table light and galley light screened to avoid blinding watch-keepers
  • Waterproof torches (with fresh batteries!) available for use on deck or in emergency
VISIBILITY
  • Mast-head lights are working
  • Navigation lights are working (fore and aft); and positioned so they cannot be obscured by sails
  • Back-up navigation lights (battery) in case of electrical system failure
  • Powerful torch or portable spotlight within reach of cockpit (to draw attention to your boat when a collision is possible)
  • Fog horn is working
  • Adequate radar reflectors in place
RADIO
  • Radios functioning and signal checked
  • all crew are familiar with distress procedure (and/or instructions are taped near radio)
  • you have up-to-date frequencies and times for weather broadcasts
SAFETY
  • A jack-line of adequate breaking strain is securely rigged between cockpit and foredeck both sides (for clipping harness tether onto)
  • Deck is sufficiently non-skid, particularly the coachroof, foredeck and around the mast
  • You have sufficient hand-holds along the side-decks (if not, rig temporary ones using rope or webbing)
  • EPIRB tested, and batteries are in date
  • Liferaft is in date, large enough for the number of crew, and stowed securely in an accessible position
  • Liferaft tie-downs checked for sun-damage and chafe
  • Sufficient harnesses, tethers and lifejackets for the number of crew: all in good condition and located for easy access underway
  • Danbuoy, lifebuoys, upside-down lights etc firmly mounted and ready for deployment
  • A good supply of flares (the necessary number in date) stowed in waterproof containers
  • Waterproof ‘grab kit’ stowed for easy accessibility, containing useful items for liferaft or dinghy survival at sea
  • All crew are familiar with your Man Overboard procedure
CREW WELFARE
  • First aid kit: check adequate and waterproof
  • Offshore medical kit is comprehensive, with drugs in date, and waterproof
  • Do-it-yourself medical handbook onboard
  • Seasick pills, sun-block and painkillers easily accessible
  • Drinking water bottle handy to cockpit
  • Sufficient warm clothing, bedding and foul weather gear for all crew
  • Watch system and galley rota organised

SAMPLE #4

every day CHECKLIST

Chafe Detection - At least once a day we walk around the deck to check for chafe on the items listed:

  • Anchor ties
  • Pole guys and control lines
  • Jib/Yankee /Staysail sheets
  • Main halyard
  • Mainsheet
  • Reefing lines
  • Dingy tiedown lines
  • Jerry container tiedown lines
  • Mainsail at spreaders if we are off the wind'
  • Mainsail, Jib, Staysail tacks
  • Roller furlers
  • Main boom goosenecks
  • Windvane control lines