Topics

Adjusting Ultraflex steering cables?

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Scott, I think someone has already said this but adjusting the cables to remove play is simple. Same method as used to adjust brake cable on a bicycle. My cables have over 50,000 miles and are fine.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 17 December 2020 at 00:16 "Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)" <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hi Scott,

Glad to hear that worked for you. For the other part you mentioned, unless the free play is excessive, I wouldn't worry too much. I've never investigated that part, but perhaps you could unbolt it from the stringer and rotate it 90deg to change the wear points and see if the play is any better. Not sure what replacement parts are available. If the steering is smooth and the cables move free and easy through the full range of motion, then you should be fine.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
New Zealand

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020, 6:39 PM Scott SV Tengah < Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Also Olivier - what do you think about the play on the flange/joint where the cable goes through the stringer? We have put a bit over 20 thousand nautical miles on it, so I assume this is a wear item that may just need replacement? Or is there an adjustment procedure?

A bit gun shy now, so figured I'd ask what may be a simple question vs. risk breaking something else!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

[...]

Beaute Olivier

Hello Carina,

the cables are not available from AMEL, but as ULTRAFLEX is still in business, you should be able to order from them or from a representative.

Olivier.

On Sunday, December 13, 2020, 09:38:16 PM GMT+1, CARINA HAMMARLUND <syultimo@...> wrote:

Hi Olivier,
can these cables be ordered? I heard that they are no longer available...
we also need to change the steering cables before we take off again in a couple of years
--
Carina
SV Ultimo

CARINA HAMMARLUND

Hi Olivier,
can these cables be ordered? I heard that they are no longer available...
we also need to change the steering cables before we take off again in a couple of years
--
Carina
SV Ultimo
Amel 54 No 165

Scott SV Tengah

Also Olivier - what do you think about the play on the flange/joint where the cable goes through the stringer? We have put a bit over 20 thousand nautical miles on it, so I assume this is a wear item that may just need replacement? Or is there an adjustment procedure?

A bit gun shy now, so figured I'd ask what may be a simple question vs. risk breaking something else!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Scott SV Tengah

Thanks Olivier.

I used the method Mike suggested and the eye was easily rotated back to the right position.

With the quadrant disconnected, I rotated the helm end to end and thankfully there is zero resistance. Hopefully I dodged a bullet.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020, 03:57 Beaute Olivier via groups.io <atlanticyachtsurvey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Scott,

what you describe is frightening and the lesson is: Don't let anyone work on your boat unless they know what they do, and try to get all the informations you can before letting them do.
That's what this forum is very good at: exchanging informations between novices and old salts who have been dealing with issues.

Adjusting the steering cables should be piece of cake...

I'm afraid your cable(s) are now partly uncoiled: the strands may be a bit untwisted, which may put a bit of resistance in their sheaths.
While the cables are disconnected at the quadrant end, you should turn the wheel from one end to the other, many many times, to try to get the eye terminal back to flat-original position.

If you feel a lot of resistance while doing this, then this means the cables are permanently damaged, and it may be time to order and install a new pair.

Tell us what happens after you try the above.

Good luck.

Olivier.

On Friday, December 11, 2020, 07:35:17 AM GMT+1, Scott SV Tengah <scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Mike,

That did the trick, thanks!

Now onto the new problem. It seems that one of the "joints" that cables go through has developed a lot more play than the other. See attached photo.

Can this be rebuilt easily? If not, is this an Amel specific part or something I can buy from ultra flex?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020, 17:54 Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:
Hi Scott,

On my SM#23, the pole is threaded at the end and the eye fitting is screwed onto it. This allows for proper orientation and positioning of the eye so it can mount correctly with the vertical bolts of the quadrant. Maybe yours was over tightened when someone was working in it? If you can hold the pole and keep it from rotating, perhaps you can back the eye fitting off?

Or maybe my system is totally different than your A54... Figured I'd mention it just in case it helps.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
New Zealand

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020, 2:26 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
As these things go, it's never as simple as you expect.

Someone worked on it and tried to rotate the internal cable, with the toggle eye on the end. I surmise they rotated it multiple revolutions. This was their ill informed way of trying to adjust the cable tension. Now this internal cable's eye has set in a resting position that is 45 degrees off from vertical. That, of course, does not align with the vertical bolt on the steering quadrant. If I try to rotate the eye back, it will rotate but will bounce back to 45 degrees from vertical as soon as I release tension. If I rotate it a full 360 degree revolution, it clicks but keeps the same non-vertical resting orientation.

I emailed ultraflex and they said to just temporarily twist the eye and put the bolt in. Not comforting that we'd have that constant rotational tension as the cable moves in and out. They also suggested if I really wanted to align it, I could "Disconnect the cable from both ends and you should be able to push the shaft in and out while you turn the cable if you want it to move back into place." Not sure exactly what that means.

Any ideas from those who have more experience with this system on how I can get this fixed without damaging the cables? Do I simply twist the eye, install it and a few hundred sea miles will untwist the cable and orient it correctly?

-Scott

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 9:27 AM Scott SV Tengah via groups.io <Scott.nguyen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you Olivier! Exactly what I was looking for.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Beaute Olivier

[...]

in order to tension the cables' sheaths, you need to turn the threaded tubes clockwise when looking to portside.
Before this, you need to undo the big nut of each cable while you hold firmly the threaded tube with plyers.
Once released, mark the tubes with a blade in order to know how much you turn. Both tubes must be turned of the same amount, usually between 1 and 2 turns.
The best way to assess how much you need to turn is to have someone at the helm and someone at the quadrant.
Turn the wheel of a quarter of a turn, watch the quadrant and mark the position, then turn the wheelslowly the other way until the person at the quadrant says STOP as soon as he sees the quadrant move. Then you knwo how much slack you have on the wheel circumference. 5 cm is acceptable and necessary. 10 cm and more is too much.
Your goal is to turn the tubes until you have only 5 cm slack on the wheel.

Hope this is clear.

it's just like when you adjust the tension on your bicycle brake cable sheath.

Olivier

On Friday, November 20, 2020, 08:25:21 AM GMT+1, Scott SV Tengah <scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have Ultraflex M61 ft 25 82 steering cables on my A54 and they're in need of adjustment. I believe these are the same cables in the SM. There's a bit too much play and well, Olivier's purchase survey stated that I should tighten them. Additionally when using the linear AP, there's a bit of a clunk that I've isolated to the steering quadrant end of the cables. The steering rack end is totally quiet.

Has anyone successfully tightened these cables? If I try to turn the large bronze nut, entire assembly rotates and it seems the cable does seem to tighten a bit momentarily.  But because black jacketed portion of the steering cable also rotates, once I remove my wrench from the large bronze nut, the entire assembly rotates back to the previous position.

I took the steering quadrant off and tried to rotate the end "toggle" that attaches to the quadrant, but that too will rotate back to the previous position if I try to tighten it.

Any help appreciated!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69