In mast furler - Brake - Amel 54 + top cap
the top cap was a real problem and appr. 2 hours work.
Finally, I hung the lower end of the pipe under the boom so that the top cap is at the bottom. Then carefully place a screwdriver between the cap and tube and - as carefully as possible with a rubber mallet - hit it down step by step. The top cap is glued in with silicon or something similar. So this is not a good, but possibly the only, treatment method and the edges no longer look good. But the biggest mess was the motor. There was no water in it, but it was full of gear grease, 2 permanent magnets had come loose and stuck to the rotor, others were loose to the stator, many edges broken. So, if your in mast furler keeps stopping again and again, this can be a good reason.
But the brushes were - contrary to my assumption - ok :-).
Hope it helps.
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette Luperon, Dominican Republic
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
We went through the same exercise 3 years ago. Only managed to remove the bottom cap, using a similar method. Couldn’t do the top cap no matter how hard we tried.
Some permanent magnets had come loose and had to be reglued. The break was functional but upon testing after everything was put back together, still misbehaved and felt like it was still applying some level of break while the motor ran. The break itself is an electromagnetic clutch and can be somewhat adjusted for friction, but we never found the amount suitable for the motor to be 100% happy.
We eventually got a replacement unit from Amel when we reached martinique.
Hope that helps,
On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 at 01:46, Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:
I have had the same issue those motors are regularly back ordered mine took 2 months during this same time period two years agotoggle quoted messageShow quoted text
On Nov 27, 2020, at 3:53 PM, Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote: