From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Karen Smith via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2020 9:18 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Sea Chest Clog Alarm

Thanks, all!

I was not looking to install one, just get a feel for the setpoint.  A minimum setpoint of -200 mbar gauge (80 inches of water) tells me what I need to know.  That's a significantly higher vacuum setpoint than I expected.  I would have thought something like 20 instead of 200.

For our raw water system, (which is a lot simpler than a later model SM) the AC units quickly shut down on high pressure if there is insufficient water, the genset quickly shuts down on high exhaust temperature if it lacks water. Adding a high wet exhaust temperature alarm to the main drive engine will cover pretty much all the cases.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Miles

Hi Eric,

I am sold on this and I am getting one.  Where did you take the power from?  Is yours 12V or 24 V (I guess that these questions have one answer).  Did you need a longer wire?

As always, thanks.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm 216,  in Le Marin, Martinique

michael winand

I have a vetas  one installed. You can use the sensor from a car thermo fan switch. I have it located at the water injection point in the exhaust system.
It will activate before the engine alarm.
Michael Nebo sm251

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 at 7:29 am, Miles
<milesbid@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

I am sold on this and I am getting one.  Where did you take the power from?  Is yours 12V or 24 V (I guess that these questions have one answer).  Did you need a longer wire?

As always, thanks.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm 216,  in Le Marin, Martinique

eric freedman

Hi Miles,

Order one with both wires about 15 feet long, 24 volts. The stock setup comes with a short negative wire to be attached to normal engine wiring and a long positive wire.

I just ran mine along the wiring running across the forward end of the engine room with all the other wires and up into the port locker and along the back of the area where the rotary autopilot is usually mounted. I mounted the alarm enunciator in the wall of the companionway where the nameplate is mounted. There are plenty of places to pick up 24 volts near that position. If you hot wire it just put a small fuse in line with the unit. It’s a 1 hour project for 1 person.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

http://www.borelmfg.com/singraw.pdf

I am sold on this and I am getting one.  Where did you take the power from?  Is yours 12V or 24 V (I guess that these questions have one answer).  Did you need a longer wire?

As always, thanks.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm 216,  in Le Marin, Martinique

eric freedman

I did not bother to wire my sensor into the ignition switch, It is always on .

The photo attached was my motivation for installing the sensor.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

I am sold on this and I am getting one.  Where did you take the power from?  Is yours 12V or 24 V (I guess that these questions have one answer).  Did you need a longer wire?

As always, thanks.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm 216,  in Le Marin, Martinique

Ian Park

I bought one from NASA, the boat instrument manufacturer. Cost @£82.00 including sensor which cable ties to the exhaust pipe. Easy to fit.
In Denmark last summer I neglected to turn the raw water seacock back on after cleaning out the strainer. Motored to fuel berth and filled up, started the engine again and within 15 seconds the exhaust alarm reminded me of my error! Saved my raw water pump impeller and seals plus a load more serious stuff. Should be a standard fitting for any boat especially in a weed prone area.

Ocean Hobo

Hi all,

I had the Borel exhaust manifold alarm. Fortunately, I never needed it. I heard that Borel is no longer making them.

But, anyway, if I had it to do over again, this is what I would buy:
image.png
This comes with 4 sensors and can be used to monitor exhaust temperature, as well as, battery temperature and alternator temperature. It comes with an external alarm and you program alarms for each sensor. With all of the battery issues caused by overcharging and boiling, if I were going to install a temperature alarm, this is what I would buy.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 2:10 AM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
I bought one from NASA, the boat instrument manufacturer. Cost @£82.00 including sensor which cable ties to the exhaust pipe. Easy to fit.
In Denmark last summer I neglected to turn the raw water seacock back on after cleaning out the strainer. Motored to fuel berth and filled up, started the engine again and within 15 seconds the exhaust alarm reminded me of my error! Saved my raw water pump impeller and seals plus a load more serious stuff. Should be a standard fitting for any boat especially in a weed prone area.

Ocean Hobo

eric freedman

I just called Borel,

They are still in business and sell the alarm.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

I had the Borel exhaust manifold alarm. Fortunately, I never needed it. I heard that Borel is no longer making them.

But, anyway, if I had it to do over again, this is what I would buy:

image.png

This comes with 4 sensors and can be used to monitor exhaust temperature, as well as, battery temperature and alternator temperature. It comes with an external alarm and you program alarms for each sensor. With all of the battery issues caused by overcharging and boiling, if I were going to install a temperature alarm, this is what I would buy.

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.