It´s time to introduce ourselves.

Martin Birkhoff

It´s time to introduce ourselves.
We are Anke and Martin Birkhoff from Worpswede in Germany. Homeport of our Amel is Bremen, Germany.

We started our sailing careers in 1978 (Anke) and (1985) Martin. Since 1998 we spent our time sailing SV “Just do it” a bilge keel 39 feet Reinke Super 11. This is a double chine aluminum design of German engineer Kurt Reinke. Sailing areas have been Baltic Ocean and North Sea. From 2004 to 2009 we made a circumnavigation including Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. Here it happened after meeting Mariolina Rolfo and Giorgio Adrizzi and their Amel "Saudade III" in Ushuaia that we decided if we ever would buy a GRP design it has to be an Amel.

In 2016 we changed to our 54 Mago del Sur (ex Bronwyn owned by Robin Griffith who did a circumnavigation with her from 2011 to 2013). During the last years she got a refit and now she is ready to start milemunching again. Ok, there are still one or two repairs to be done ...

Anke and I are landscape architects. She is civil servant in the Government of Bremen, I Martin had run my own company for environmental impact studies and landscape architecture.

We plan to sail the Med in 2021 and leave for Caribean waters end of the year. Than continuing through the Panama Chanal and heading South to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego again. To be continued …

Martin

SV Mago del Sur – 54#40

Welcome, Martin and Anke,

 We spent three years in Chile on Pen Azen including two seasons ( 2003 and 2005) in and around the Beagle Channel and also got to know Mariolina and Giorgio and their wonderful cruising guide ( we even feature with a small entry in their second edition ).

 Very envious of your going back! An Amel is the perfect boat for those waters.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

[...]

A very cordial welcome to Anke and Martin.

I hope you enjoy our group as much as we do.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 7:08 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
[...]

Roque

Wow!! The bar keeps going up!!

Welcome Anke and Martin

Roque
Attika A54 #117
Paraty Brazil

Em ter., 8 de dez. de 2020 às 12:02, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> escreveu:

[...]

Mark Garver

Welcome aboard! I am sure you will find this group to be an incredible source of information and inspiration.

Mark and Jennifer Garver
S/V It’s Good
SM #105

On Dec 8, 2020, at 10:14 AM, Roque <ediroque@...> wrote:

Wow!! The bar keeps going up!!

Welcome Anke and Martin

Roque
Attika A54 #117
Paraty Brazil

Em ter., 8 de dez. de 2020 às 12:02, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> escreveu:
A very cordial welcome to Anke and Martin.

I hope you enjoy our group as much as we do.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

[...]

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Dear Anke and Martin and Dear Judy and Ian, I'm very happy to find you in this glorious group.
I remember perfectly about you and also for me nostalgia for that remote corner of earth is always very strong. After almost 30 years of cruises, I keep thinking that an Amel was the best choice I could do and if I ever change Saudade III will be for another Amel!
A great hug and good navigations wherever you are!

Giorgio Ardrizzi
sy Saudade III - Sharki #1
Sainte Anne - Martinique

Mohammad Shirloo

Welcome Anke and Martin;

I’m sure you will get to enjoy and appreciate your Amel, as much as we do. It is great platform for exploration, adventure, relaxation and access to remote areas. Looks like you have already checked off a few of these on your previous expeditions.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

Wow, what a surprise, Giorgio,

we never expected to meet you this way. How are you and Mariolina? Nice to hear that you are sailing “Saudade III” still today. Now you can recognize your long lasting influence to our decisions!

Dear Amelians, reading Giorgios unexpected email and your welcoming responses makes us feel like joining a family.

Georgio, in 2007 we continued north from Ushuaia, had to cancel our trip to Juan Fernandez island due to cracks in our mast support and to head for Higuerillas, Chile. After finishing the repairs we sailed the Chilean and Peruvian coast northbound, visited Galapagos and continued to French Polynesia. From Tahiti Anke had to return to Germany in June 2008. The Government refused to extend her leave and she decided not to quit her job. I promised to sail back “Just do it” to Bremen within 12 month. I returned via Red Sea and Med but failed the promised time. “Just do its” arrived in her homeport in October 2009. By the way, after our first proof while sailing Anke and I continued the proofing process some 6 further years. After ten years of proofing we decided this should be sufficient and married in 2015.

We still keep your Patagonian Guide and it will guide us during the next years for sure. We still keep the Atlas Hydrografico de Chile too. Rich memories and useful.

Martin and Anke
SV Mago del Sur – 54#40

Dean Gillies

Welcome to the Amel group!

I visited Bremen many times with business in the nineties and noughties, although so many times in the wintertime.  A bit cold at this time!
Jan and I live in Australia but our 54 is in Scotland right now. We also are planning a crossing of the pond, supposed to be happening just about now, but I suspect it may be 2022 before we are able to do this.

Wishing you fair winds and following seas with Mago del Sur.

Dean & Jan Gillies
SV Stella A54-154

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Dear Martin and Anke, thank you for telling me your story since we last said goodbye in the Beagle waters.
We still stay until 2011 and after 16 years, with big sadness, we returned to Buenos Aires.
In that time we worked 3 seasons in Italy on a beautiful Solaris 72.
In Uruguay we did some important works to Saudade III and then we navigate two years in Brazilian waters to finally get in 2018 to the Lesser Antilles.
This year we were blocked at Martinique because of the pandemic. We would always intend to find a nice SM 2000, but with this situations of uncertainty we prefer to stay in standby for the moment.

In 2016 after a year of hard work, the third edition of our Patagonia nautical guide came out, ready to corrupt the tropical dreams of some sailor, persuading him to go to Polynesia passing through the classic route!
So far no one who has taken that decision has ever complained, indeed several of them have regrets of not to be stayed longer in that waters!
Congratulations for your new 54, Mago del Sur (wow, what evocative name!), a magnificent yacht that certainly will give you so much satisfaction!

We stay in touch and who knows if there is an opportunity to cross our routes again.
A big hug to you and Anke and fair wind.

Giorgio Ardrizzi
sv Saudade III - Sharki #1

Il Mar 8 Dic 2020, 17:03 Martin Birkhoff <mbirkhoff@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Welcome Anke and Martin, welcome on aboard to this great group,

I’m sure you will enjoy and appreciate your new Amel, as much as we do.

We are cruising with our 54 in the Med and we winterize in Spain right now. We had the plan to cross the Atlantic this winter, but the virus delayed our plan. We started our cruising-live 5 years ago in New Zealand and spend some time in the Pacific and Asian waters. We are dreaming to go back to the Pacific after spending some time in the Med last 2 years.  Our plan is to leave the Med end of 2021 for Caribean, same as you. Maybe we will meet somewhere coming year. Where are you based right now?

Wishing you fair winds with Mago del Sur.

Ruedi & Sabina Waldispuehl-Trazza

SY WASABI

A54#55

MMSI: 269322000

Call Sign: HBY3811

Martin Birkhoff

Thanks  for your welcome, Ruedi and Sabina

Since some two month we are staying in Cherbourg, France.
We plan to sail to La Rochelle with the next suitable wheather window to get our problems fixed. Repairs will need some weeks. Hopefully we are able to continue to Portugal in February

Martin

SY Mago del Sur - 54/40