VHF Cable Replacement

Scott SV Tengah

Tom, I just got PL-259 connectors.

PL-259 to connect to the antenna - RG8x in between -  PL-259 to connect to the VHF.

I didn't hear great things about the screw on PL259 connectors, so I got the solder type. Get a few as you may screw up during your learning process. It's not difficult but you want to do it right. After I screwed on the PL-259 at the antenna, you will want to waterproof it.

The original Amel setup includes a junction at the base of the mast, inside the boat. That way, you can easily disconnect the coax if you want to remove your mast. I skipped that and if I need to remove my mast, I can cut the coax and add the junction later. For now, I avoid a junction and two more PL259 connectors.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 4:50 PM Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:
Hi Scott,

I have a SM and am replacing the VHF antenna. I bought a 5215, no cable. Can you give me specific info on what adapter you used? Does the adapter than hook up to RG-8X at the top? Or does the adapter come with sealed RG-8X that runs down to the base of the mast? I’m mostly concerned about minimizing connections at the top of the mast.

Thanks,
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Dec 13, 2020, at 12:44 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

I did the same. New RG-8X from new Shakespeare antenna all the way to the nav station. The original Amel way is to have a junction at the base of the mast, presumably so you can remove the mast without having to take out the antenna wire. If I ever need to remove the mast, I'll cut the coax and put the junction on.  Earlier I couldn't communicate with the admiral in a dinghy 300 meters away and now we can hear USCG broadcasts up to 200nm offshore.

Connection at the antenna was taped with self-amalgamating rubber tape and then covered with 3M electrical tape. I even zip tied the electrical tape for good measure.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

--
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Mark McGovern

Mark,

I replaced both at the same time.  I couldn't tell you if it "needed" to be changed out or not since I do not have the equipment to measure signal loss, but since I was upgrading the in-mast cable to much lower loss LMR-400-UF cable it just seemed counterproductive to leave the very high loss RG-58 cable in place.  I was running an NMEA 2000 backbone cable from the main mast to the nav station and new radar cable from the Mizzen to the nav station at the same time so I had the whole thing opened up anyway.  Actually still have it all opened up.

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Mark McGovern

Tom,

I just replaced my VHF and AIS antennas as well with the Shakespeare 5215.  The 5215 has a SO-239 connector on it.  That is a female connector so your cable will need the corresponding male connector called a PL-259 connector.  Your VHF Radio most likely has the same SO-239 connector on it so the other end of your cable will likely also need a PL-259 connector.

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Thomas Peacock

[...]

Wolfgang Weber <webercardio@...>

Hi Chris,
Did you check your antenna with a swr--meter before and after renovating the system?
Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162 Fort Lauderdale

Chris Doucette

My masts were down this summer - I used the old cable to pull new marine grade RG-8X.  The antennas I replaced with Shakespeares.  Gld I did- I broke open the old ones- they were corroded.  House wiring from mast step to radio was just fine.

Chris
S/V Amarok SM 385 Deltaville

Thomas Peacock

Hi Mark,

I am also in the process of replacing the VHF antenna. As they say, I’m not expert, but….

My understanding is that sea air can creep into anywhere. This is especially true where there are connections. Our SM has coax coming down the antenna, then connecting to coax that goes to the radio. My plan is to bypass the connection, and just run coax (connected at the antenna) in one piece all the way back to the radio, I guess about 80 feet of coax.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Dec 11, 2020, at 3:17 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

A question to those who needed to replace the VHF cable in the main mast: Did you also need to replace the VHF cable from the base of the mast to the rear of the radio?

Thanks.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper