SM 2000 Mizzen Spreader Deck Light

Jeff Williams

Hi All,
I'm trying to replace the mizzen deck spreader light bulb (suspect it has burnt out).  I've seen that people have replaced this with LED....but that's not my question.

When trying to remove the bulb it looks like everything is rusted together.  I can see 2 screws on each side of the bulb, but they are completely rusted and the entire housing is crumbling.  It is an Aqua Signal housing.'

My question is:  is there a diagram for how this fixture is put together?  I'm suspecting I'm going to need to keep turning and pulling the rusty parts and it is going to all come apart.  Should I just pull it all out and figure out how to rebuild it after?

Thanks!
Jeff
s/v Spruzzo SM#379

Gary Silver

Edited

Jeff, Are you referring to the cockpit area light mounted on the forward aspect of the mizzen mast, or are there actually spreader lights on the mizzen mast spreaders? If the later is the case I don't believe spreader lights were standard on SMs.  At least spreader lights weren't standard thru hull # 335 and I suspect the same for # 379.  Others might have information on post # 335 hull numbers.  A photo would be helpful.

All the best,  Gary S. Silver, M.D.  , until recently the original and only owner of s/v Liahona   Amel SM 2000 # 335, Puerto Del Rey Puerto Rico

Jeff Williams

Hi Gary,
I was referring to the cockpit area light mounted on the forward aspect of the mizzen mast.

The old bulb housing was very rusted along with the internal mount for the bulb.  I've ordered a new bulb but am not 100% sure how to mount it inside the housing.
It is a 50W PAR36 bulb, not LED.
Jeff

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 6:03 AM Gary Silver via groups.io <garysilver=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Jeff, Are you referring to the cockpit area light mounted on the forward aspect of the mizzen mast, or are there actually spreader lights on the mizzen mast spreaders? If the later is the case I don't believe spreader lights were standard on SMs.  At least spreader lights weren't standard thru hull # 335 and I suspect the same for # 379.  Others might have information on post # 335 hull numbers.  A photo would be helpful.

All the best,  Gary S. Silver, M.D.  , until recently the original and only owner of s/v Liahona   Amel SM 2000 # 335, Puerto Del Rey Puerto Rico

scentstone

Hi Jeff,

I hope it helps but you'll see on this page the reference used by Amel on your boat which is Aquasignal.

It's nos available with an (expensive) LED bulb which you'll see on this page.

https://www.svb24.com/en/aqua-signal-kiel-led-floodlight-white.html

My two cents is that, after some years the small teeths which hold the buld wouls be fragile (as well on your main mast light = same brand, same bulb, different model) and it would be a great idea to change it for a brand new.

Lift you up, use a drill to remove "rivets" and install the new.

Kind regards

Fred
S/V ScentStone
SM2K#375

Karen Smith

We had to replace ours as well.  The housing cracked and there was no way to keep the bulb in place after the old one crashed and shattered on deck.  We had no luck at all finding USA distribution for that particular AquaSignal model light fixture.  We managed to source the LED version of the entire fixture on eBay through a supplier in Lithuania, of all places.

I added some silicone to help secure the bulb in place.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
(Boat’s in Charleston, we are in Antigua wrapping up a delivery)