Topics

Installing a holding tank Amel Maramu

Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine

Hi everyone,

We're in the process of buying a 1985 Amel Maramu & were surprised to find there is no holding tank on it. 

Has anyone installed one in a Maramu? Did you do it yourselves or get a professional?  We're looking at costs, in the water or (I'm presuming it needs to be done whilst out of the water for a through hull)?

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 
Sea Love, Hull 161

James Watkins

I have Maramu hull 185 and while there was no holding tank in the forward head there was one in the aft head.  I had it done by a knowledgeable Amel person and can recommend hs contact.  I assume you are in the US?  

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Owner Act II Maramu hull 185

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 6:18 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Installing a holding tank Amel Maramu

Hi everyone,

We're in the process of buying a 1985 Amel Maramu & were surprised to find there is no holding tank on it. 

Has anyone installed one in a Maramu? Did you do it yourselves or get a professional?  We're looking at costs, in the water or (I'm presuming it needs to be done whilst out of the water for a through hull)?

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Dennis Johns

Hello Sarah & Trevor,

I have a 35 gallon holding tank installed in the port/aft cockpit lazarette (pretty sure you'll need to get it custom made).  Here are a couple of hints:
1)  I have runs from the forward and aft heads done in PVC.  Using a few 22 degree fittings, it is not too difficult to make the runs and you will never need to replace the very expensive "sanitary" hose when the stink becomes too much.  While you are at it, I suggest you run PVC in the anti-siphon loop as well.  These two actions will keep your heads and saloon from becoming an embarrassment.
2)  If you can heel the boat over in a slip (mast halyard to a cleat), the thru hull can be installed just above the water line.
3)  Be sure to install the macerator at the level of the drain.  Don't make the macerator draw the waste up from the bottom of the tank as it will quit on you before its time and replacing it is not fun if you aren't near a clean out station (ask me how I know this).
4)  Don't be cheap on the deck clean out cap.  The plastic cap will be exposed to UV rays for long periods of time and eventually will degrade to the point where you have to break it to do a clean out.

Good Luck

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 9:18 AM Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine <Ourbigboatyadventure@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 
Sea Love, Hull 161

Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine

Hi James,

Ahhh, no the boat is in the UK & we're currently in Portugal.  

Can I ask if it was timely, costly, and/or involved ripping the boat apart?  

We're heading back to the UK & will be living on board, so wondering how much of a headache it would be.

Thanks,

Sarah 

Sea Love, Hull 161

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 17:30 James Watkins via groups.io, <ewatk49734=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have Maramu hull 185 and while there was no holding tank in the forward head there was one in the aft head.  I had it done by a knowledgeable Amel person and can recommend hs contact.  I assume you are in the US?  

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

James Watkins

It required removing nearly
All of the forward head trim. A plastic unit that fit behind the panels which were replaced. I think I may
Have some
Pictures and will try
To find them

Best regards
Jim Watkins
Ps. Probably best to do this on direct email feather than the forum unless
Others are interested. 

On Monday, January 11, 2021, 7:13 PM, Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine <Ourbigboatyadventure@...> wrote:

Hi James,

We're heading back to the UK & will be living on board, so wondering how much of a headache it would be.

Thanks,

Sarah 

Sea Love, Hull 161

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 17:30 James Watkins via groups.io, <ewatk49734=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Alain Blanchard

Hello Sarah & Trevor,

I Just acquired a SM from 1995. There was no holding tank installed. I am currently in the process Of installing one based on a tuto (here attached)

Mine is the same but a 85 L. Here is a picture 

It just fit in (47.5 cm large).
I will come back to you if any issue 

Regards Alain
SM 146 - Gruissan (France)

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 11 janv. 2021 à 19:21, James Watkins via groups.io <ewatk49734@...> a écrit :

All of the forward head trim. A plastic unit that fit behind the panels which were replaced. I think I may
Have some
Pictures and will try
To find them

Best regards
Jim Watkins
Others are interested. 

Sent from Yahoo for iPhone

On Monday, January 11, 2021, 7:13 PM, Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine <Ourbigboatyadventure@...> wrote:

Hi James,

Thanks,

Sarah 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Andy Croney

Hi Sarah , hi Trev,

We have an older Maramu (#79) and installed a holding tank in the forward head - the boat does not need go come out of the water for this work , as it uses the same sea cock with a Y valve fitting - all the other necessary holes ( breather and pump out ) are above water .

I can send you some images if you want.

They are great boats for cruising and voyaging .

All the best

Andy and Fifi
SV Paladin
Sent from my iPhone

Ian Park

We have a holding tank in both heads, around 75 litres each. They were fitted by the first owner when the boat was fairly new. Go to photos and search Santorin holding tanks and you will see the installation there. 
I am not familiar with the interior of the Maramu, but the Santorin looks the same as the Super Maramu. We've lost the clothes hanging drying area as the tanks fit that space and the pipework does fill most of the alert side storage areas. The tanks are visible but not unsightly. The pros are that all maintenance is easy, access to valves, macerator pump tank interior access ( not pleasant but useful!) and of course the tank level reader.
I haven't spotted it yet, but somewhere there is a schematic of the pipework and tank dimensions.

In my previous boat I had stainless steel tanks. Avoid s/s for holding tanks!!

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96 North Wales (UK!)

Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine

Thanks for the information Ian.  Thats interesting to know that you can have them installed without ripping the heads apart.

Kind regards,

Sarah 

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021, 08:36 Ian Park, <parkianj@...> wrote:
We have a holding tank in both heads, around 75 litres each. They were fitted by the first owner when the boat was fairly new. Go to photos and search Santorin holding tanks and you will see the installation there. 
I am not familiar with the interior of the Maramu, but the Santorin looks the same as the Super Maramu. We've lost the clothes hanging drying area as the tanks fit that space and the pipework does fill most of the alert side storage areas. The tanks are visible but not unsightly. The pros are that all maintenance is easy, access to valves, macerator pump tank interior access ( not pleasant but useful!) and of course the tank level reader.
I haven't spotted it yet, but somewhere there is a schematic of the pipework and tank dimensions.

In my previous boat I had stainless steel tanks. Avoid s/s for holding tanks!!

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96 North Wales (UK!)

Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine

Hi Jim,

We'd be interested in seeing the pictures if that's possible.  You can use the email address at the top to send anything through to. 

If there's a lot we can share a folder on Dropbox.

Thank you for your help, its really appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sarah & Trev

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, 18:21 James Watkins via groups.io, <ewatk49734=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Have some
Pictures and will try
To find them

Best regards
Jim Watkins
Others are interested. 

Sent from Yahoo for iPhone

Hi James,

Thanks,

Sarah 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Aras Grinius

I actually have a schematic of a holding tank designed by Amel.  When I get home from work, I would gladly post it .  The tank should fit both Sharki's & Maramu's since the forward head are about the same dimensions.

Aras
S/V FIASCO
Sharki #163 1988

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 12:18 PM Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine <Ourbigboatyadventure@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 
Sea Love, Hull 161

--
Aras Grinius

Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine

This would be really useful,

Thank you so much 😀😀

Sarah & Trev

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021, 12:29 Aras Grinius, <aras.grinius@...> wrote:
I actually have a schematic of a holding tank designed by Amel.  When I get home from work, I would gladly post it .  The tank should fit both Sharki's & Maramu's since the forward head are about the same dimensions.

Aras
S/V FIASCO
Sharki #163 1988

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 12:18 PM Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine <Ourbigboatyadventure@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 
Sea Love, Hull 161

--
Aras Grinius

Philippe BELLOIR

You can see two differents solutions, and the way to install (but in french)

Fair winds

Philippe

De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] De la part de Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine
Envoyé : lundi 11 janvier 2021 18:18
À : main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Objet : [AmelYachtOwners] Installing a holding tank Amel Maramu

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Gregory Shea

Does anyone know where you can buy the tanks shown in Phillipe's post. I have one of those tanks and wanted to replace it but the only retail source I could find was Accastillage Diffusion. Unfortunately, they no longer carry them. My research says they are still manufactured but I couldn't find a retailer. Any suggestions?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Philippe Belloir <pbelloir@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 10:46 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Installing a holding tank Amel Maramu

Fair winds

Philippe

De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] De la part de Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Philippe BELLOIR

The tank was made by BONAR Plastics  http://www.bonarplastics.com/

….

Philippe

De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] De la part de Gregory Shea
Envoyé : mardi 12 janvier 2021 17:25
À : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Objet : Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Installing a holding tank Amel Maramu

Does anyone know where you can buy the tanks shown in Phillipe's post. I have one of those tanks and wanted to replace it but the only retail source I could find was Accastillage Diffusion. Unfortunately, they no longer carry them. My research says they are still manufactured but I couldn't find a retailer. Any suggestions?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Philippe Belloir <pbelloir@...>
To:
main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Fair winds

Philippe

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Dennis Campbell

Hey Sarah and Trevor
Similar to Jim Watkins reply our holding tank is located behind the cupboard trim in the front head. It is a simple installation custom made from 316 s/s and fitted with a 'full' indicator light. Plumbing is simple with gravity dump valve and deck mounted pump out fitting.
Best ... Dennis Maramu #178

Gregory Shea

Phillippe, 
I couldn't find it in the Bonar product catalogue. Are there some other categories I should look for?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 2:15 PM

….

Philippe

De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] De la part de Gregory Shea

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

To:

Fair winds

Philippe

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161

Bill Fletcher

Look at plasticsupply.com or national supply they both have a large assortments of marine holding tanks. 

MARAMU sn 179

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 6:09 PM Gregory Shea <gmshea@...> wrote:
Phillippe, 
I couldn't find it in the Bonar product catalogue. Are there some other categories I should look for?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 2:15 PM

….

Philippe

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

To:

Fair winds

Philippe

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev 

Sea Love, Hull 161