ULTRA anchor 45KG or 35KG

Germain Jean-Pierre

Amel Gang,

We have an Ultra 35kgs on ours.

NEVER dragged in 4 years of living largely on anchor.

Very pleased

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, Opua, NZ

On 19/02/2021, at 9:23 AM, Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas@...> wrote:

Bill,
The only time I would be worried about having a very heavy anchor is if I need to leave an anchorage in a hurry and have to bring it up by hand because the windlass malfunctioned.
The 35 kg digs in so much that it needs some help from the engine to dislodge.  Ultra’s manufacturer gives a warranty of up to a CAT 2 for the 35 Kg in an Amel  SM2000

Jose Venegas

Bill,
The only time I would be worried about having a very heavy anchor is if I need to leave an anchorage in a hurry and have to bring it up by hand because the windlass malfunctioned.
The 35 kg digs in so much that it needs some help from the engine to dislodge.  Ultra’s manufacturer gives a warranty of up to a CAT 2 for the 35 Kg in an Amel  SM2000

Jarek Zemlo

Hi,
finally I decided for SPADE and it fits without any modifications.

Jarek
NOA BLUE

Dominique Sery

Hello,
In Greece, at anchor with strong winds, I skidded several times with the anchor provided by Amel (Wasi 30 kgs), I then replaced it by a Rocna 55 kgs which fits perfectly in the bow fitting.
Perfect hold tested up to 50 knots of wind at anchor.
No regrets, I sleep much better!
Dominique
Irko A54#16 currently Kilada Greece

Karen Smith

We would suggest that no sailor EVER woke up at 02:00 as a squall rolled through the anchorage and worried that their anchor was too big...

Our boat came to us with a 40kg Rocna as the primary anchor, we increased that to a 47 kg Mantus and would never go back. If I could have figured out a way to fit a 55kg anchor I probably would have used that!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

VICTOR MOLERO

It took no more than an hour. You just need the tool. See pic.
image.png

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Very nice !

Thank you for this valuable information.
Could you also tell me if this modification is difficult to do and if it requires particular skills.
It took you how many hours of work to make it.
Thank you again for this precious information

JL MERTZ

CottonBay

SM316

Le 10/02/2021 à 17:00, VICTOR MOLERO a écrit :

Hello. I bought and installed the Ultra 45 kg. See pictures, and let me know if you need any more information.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

VICTOR MOLERO

Hello. I bought and installed the Ultra 45 kg. See pictures, and let me know if you need any more information.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Hello Jarek,
I'm changing my anchor on CottonBay and I was thinking of putting on a 45 kg Ultramarine.
It seems that it does not fit. Could you tell me how you managed to get it through/over  the rollers (photos?)
Merci beaucoup
JL MERTZ
CottonBay
SM316

Jarek Zemlo

Victor Hi,

many thanks for the pictures.
All the best

Jarek Zemlo
NOA BLUE

VICTOR MOLERO

Hello Jared.
All I dd was to cut part of the fibre glass under de bow pulpit inox plaque. With just that centimeter in the aft part and also another cut of fibre and inox in the outer forward side, the shank of the anchor fits perfectly well. I am sending picture. If you need more explanations, let me know.
Victor

VICTOR MOLERO

Hello Jared.
All I dd was to cut part of the fibre glass under de bow pulpit inox plaque. With just that centimeter in the aft part and also another cut of fibre and inox in the outer forward side, the shank of the anchor fits perfectly well. I am sending picture. If you need more explanations, let me know.
Victor

El jue., 14 ene. 2021 23:42, Jarek Zemlo via groups.io <noa_blue=protonmail.com@groups.io> escribió:
Victor Hi,
Thanks and would appreciate if you could send some pictures of modifications done on the bow roller for fitting 45KG Ultra.

Jarek Zemlo
NOA BLUE

Jarek Zemlo

Victor Hi,
Thanks and would appreciate if you could send some pictures of modifications done on the bow roller for fitting 45KG Ultra.

Jarek Zemlo
NOA BLUE

Jarek Zemlo

Martin,
many thanks for the chain explanations.
Best regards
Jarek Zemlo
NOA BLUE

Martin Birkhoff

Hello Jarek,
our chain was delivered by WASI. I am not sure if they manufactured it in their company or if it was produced by Wälder. I think it was done by Wälder. We bought the chain in 2002 and sailed in tropical waters in 2005, 2008 and 2009. In 2006 and 2007 we spent our time in Argentina and Chile with moderate water temperatures.
The chain is still in use today without any problems or signs of corrosion.
We never had any problems in tropical waters, no rust, no pitting. During long periods in the locker some parts of the chain showed small spots with a light film of initial rust but it was polished by the ground as soon as the chain was in use again. These spots never showed deep rust or pitting. In our opinion there are only two options for tropical waters: chromox or traditional galvanized steel.

Martin

SV Mago del Sur - 54 # 40

Jarek Zemlo

Hello Martin,
how long do you have chromox from Walder Germany? Any issues with rust especially in tropical waters?

Jarek Zemlo
NOA BLUE

Martin Birkhoff

I forgot to mention, upt to know we have no experience with the Ultra.

Martin
SV Mago del Sur
54 # 40

Martin Birkhoff

Hallo Jarek,
we have the 45 kg Ultra connected to a chain 13 mm, steel material code 1.4462 (Duplex or Cromox), working load 88.5 kN, breaking load 177 kN made by Ketten-Wälder, Germany. Connector is the original Ultra Flip Swivel by Ultra Marine.
The original chain 10 mm , same material, is fixed to an 30 kg Bügel anchor both made by WASI, connector is an WASI powerball.

We made best experiences with the latter system on our circumnavigation done with a 12 m aluminum sloop. Except one little aspect: the tiny little grub screws of these power-balls are made of stainless steel 1.4401 (316) meaning the threads of these screws corrode in warm water. You have to have a look on them and change them from time to time.

Martin
SV Mago del Sur
54 # 40

VICTOR MOLERO

Hello again. I have the WASI 10 mm that came with the boat, but I am planning to change it for the Cromox 10 mm. since I want 100 m. rather than the 70 that I currently have.
Victor

Jarek Zemlo

Thank you all for information and advice. Could you share what type of chain (size, material, break load) you use for 45KG and 35KG. I like to keep 8mm but go for stronger 8mm G70 with 70KN break load (less weight on the bow)
Look forward to your reply
Jarek Zemlo
NOA BLUE
AMEL SM#201