Fresh Water Pump

Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal <svrascal@...>

Sadly my four week in Marco gave up today. Circuit board literally exploded as I was about to leave Antigua.

Impressive performance up until this.

Shame ....

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 11:27 AM, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:

A number of owners have used the Marco pump with great success and when operating they are fantastic however; I would not make a general recommendation for Marco.  We have a dual pump system for redundancy that is approximately 2 ½ years old.  Each of the original pumps has been replaced once under warranty and I have purchased a third pump very recently to replace one of the warranty pumps; a total of 5 pumps in 2 ½ years.  Parts are currently on order to repair the pile of parts presently sitting in a box.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Ian Townsend

Just wanted to circle back on my experience since starting this thread. We installed a Shurflo Aqua King II 4 gpm variable pressure (up to 55 PSI/3.8 bar) self-priming diaphragm type pump. No need for an accumulator tank and took no time to install. After six weeks, we are quite satisfied with the performance. We do not expect it to last as long as the other kinds of more expensive kit mentioned in responses from various owners (though some say their Aqua King has provided many years of service). But that also means we can carry one or two spares aboard and still be ahead. Those spares will likely be 3 gpm capacity as per Bill Kinsey's suggestion.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153

On Jan 23, 2021, at 5:36 PM, Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie@...> wrote:

Jérémy,

I'll second Bill R.'s opinion, that TF Marine pump is top notch. Very expensive, and lasts forever.

Replacing the original pump is usually done because fo the difficulty in parts sourcing. Diaphragm pumps are usually cheaper than other types of similar capacity. I have had poor luck with them--but have not used every brand by any means.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Karen Smith

Jérémy,

I'll second Bill R.'s opinion, that TF Marine pump is top notch. Very expensive, and lasts forever.

Replacing the original pump is usually done because fo the difficulty in parts sourcing. Diaphragm pumps are usually cheaper than other types of similar capacity. I have had poor luck with them--but have not used every brand by any means.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Jim Anderson

Hi Jeremy, I replaced the fresh water pump on SM384 with this Sure-Flow pump 9 years ago and it has performed flawlessly. It automatically varies its speed depending on demand, and pumps up to 5 gallons/minute and 55 psi. It is also quieter than the original one, and you can eliminate the hard-to-adjust spring/screw pressure switch. I left the factory accumulator tank in place but it is also not necessary. I bought 2, since it was in-proven but the spare is still sitting in a locker. Jim SM384 Sirena Azul Seattle

Jérémy
That pump from TF is a very good pump.
Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 5:51 AM Jérémy Lajotte, <jeremy@...> wrote:
Hello,

I don't have a freshwater pump in the Super Maramu I just bought (The previous owner lived in the port, the pump broke and he just took it out). So one of the first jobs I'm going to have to do on this vessel is to install a new pump!

I believe I read somewhere that Amel is now installing TF Marine HA 80 pumps with a 5L butyl tank as a replacement for a broken pump in these vessels. Does anyone have this model on board?

Hydro-A Compact Water Pressure System

What are the reasons or motivations for switching to the diaphragm pump?

What are the main complaints you have about the original pump that make you look for a different type of pump as a replacement?

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

Jérémy

Le 16/01/2021 à 18:41, Ian Townsend a écrit :
We would like to convert to a diaphragm type fresh water pump. We are looking two options right now.  Shurflo Aqua King II 4.0 gpm (55 PSI sealed switch, shutoff at 3.8 bar, ) and Seaflo Series 54 5.0 gpm (adjustable switch).

1. Is there another pump you have experience with that you would recommend?
2. Given the old FEIT/AMFA pump was 15/30, should I even consider the Aqua King with set cutoff PSI of 55?

Many thanks.

Ian
SM153
Bahamas

Jérémy Lajotte,

[...]

Stephen Davis

I agree with Bill regarding the Marco pump. We have had one for several years now, and consider it to be much higher quality than most of the other pumps available.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Port Townsend, WA

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Ian,
in July 2018 we replaced the failing fresh water pump to a Marco UP6 25 PSI. Since then it is working without any problems and there is sufficient pressure on all tabs and outlets (dish washer, washing machine, showers including the stern shower).

Martin Birkhoff

Mago del Sur - 54#40

Karen Smith

I know it violates your stated desire for a diaphragm pump, but I think the Marco gear pumps are the cat's meow.  I think you'd be happy with a #3 or a #6.

They are simple, robust, quiet, and very compact with continuously variable speed so supply pressure is constant.  We have had one for almost 5 years, and haven't needed to work on it yet.  A spare parts kit of a shaft seal, motor brushes, and a few gears and they should go almost forever.

I personally would not go to a 55 PSI pump.  That is just an invitation to waste water.  We are very happy with a steady 25PSI.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Thomas Kleman

We have the aqua king 2 and love it. Good pressure with both showers going. Very reliable in that we've been full time live-aboards for 10 years and I've replaced it once.......with a spare I seemed to acquire in 2012.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422

Gary Wells

I don't think I'd go with 55psi.  I've had both 25psi and 40psi ParMax 4's on board for the past seven years.
They are not super-long lived (but then again, they get ~lots~ of hours on them) and they don't like continuous duty (definitely not for 15 minutes straight).
Having said that, I can certainly recommend them because they are widely available, relatively inexpensive and a breeze to swap out with those snap fittings.

The 25psi experienced some notable flow rate drop when using more than one day faucet, but the 40psi model remains pretty steady in the shower with the washing machine going and another tap in use.

Gary W.
former owner and still Loving it :)

Matt Salatino

SeaFlo is generally quick to fail Chinese-made.
I’m sure other pumps are made 8n China, but SeaFlo is made to a price point..... Do some research on reviews of the different brands.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jan 16, 2021, at 12:41 PM, Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:

We would like to convert to a diaphragm type fresh water pump. We are looking two options right now.  Shurflo Aqua King II 4.0 gpm (55 PSI sealed switch, shutoff at 3.8 bar, ) and Seaflo Series 54 5.0 gpm (adjustable switch).

1. Is there another pump you have experience with that you would recommend?
2. Given the old FEIT/AMFA pump was 15/30, should I even consider the Aqua King with set cutoff PSI of 55?

Many thanks.

Ian
SM153
Bahamas

Arnold Mente

Hello,

I change last year to Jabsco PAX MAX 24V. Cheap, working well, spare parts easy to get. I take a second on Bord.

Best
--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203