Where do you send the grey water from a washing machine?

JB Duler

Hello,

We are rebuilding the whole plumbing system.

1. For the washing machine, where do you send the grey water? In the bilge and then you pump it out? There is an used thruhull above the water line with a sea cock. Any of you sending the grey water above the water line. If you heel on the wrong you run the risk of sending sea water inside the washing machine. Not good. If you close the sea cock you run the risk of a memory lapse and running the washing machine through a closed sea cock. Not good either.
What is your setup?
2. Fresh water pump: is 6GPM, 60 PSI too much pressure?

Thks!
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Juan de Zulueta

Hello John,

On the Super Maramu the water of the washing machine goes into the bilge.
By the way the lye will help clean the bilge.

Juan de Zulueta
+33680895892
sent from my Ipad.
SM#32
Ophelie X

Le 20 janv. 2021 à 13:34, JB Duler <jbduler@...> a écrit :

Hello,

We are rebuilding the whole plumbing system.

1. For the washing machine, where do you send the grey water? In the bilge and then you pump it out? There is an used thruhull above the water line with a sea cock. Any of you sending the grey water above the water line. If you heel on the wrong you run the risk of sending sea water inside the washing machine. Not good. If you close the sea cock you run the risk of a memory lapse and running the washing machine through a closed sea cock. Not good either.
What is your setup?
2. Fresh water pump: is 6GPM, 60 PSI too much pressure?

Thks!
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Ian Townsend

On our SM, the washing machine grey water goes from the drain pipe to a tee in the hose that runs aft to the bilge in the engine room. It works perfectly. The washing machine you have might be different but ours does not require a fresh water pump with PSI above 30.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153

On Jan 20, 2021, at 12:33 PM, JB Duler <jbduler@...> wrote:

Hello,

We are rebuilding the whole plumbing system.

1. For the washing machine, where do you send the grey water? In the bilge and then you pump it out? There is an used thruhull above the water line with a sea cock. Any of you sending the grey water above the water line. If you heel on the wrong you run the risk of sending sea water inside the washing machine. Not good. If you close the sea cock you run the risk of a memory lapse and running the washing machine through a closed sea cock. Not good either.
What is your setup?
2. Fresh water pump: is 6GPM, 60 PSI too much pressure?

Thks!
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

John Clark

Right the gray water bilge in the engine room, not under the floor in the galley.  ;)

John Clark
SM 37 Annie
St Thomas USVI

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 1:43 PM Juan de Zulueta <jdezulue@...> wrote:
[...]

Karen Smith

Nothing to add on the drain arrangements, the normal bilge is where it should be going.  On the question about the water pressure, it is useful to remember that all of these machines are designed for, and mostly used with normal household water systems.  Pressures from 25PSI to close to about 80 PSI are "normal" for city water systems, although I have seen higher pressures in some places, close to 100 psi.  Anything I'd expect to see on the boat should be well within the design range.

Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...>

Since all the gray water on Aquarius is piped into the bilge,  and then pumped out.  For the washing machine, I would say that it's a good thing.  Good flow of soapy water to clean out the bilge water a bit.   The only thing I might want to change is to route the sink straight out of the boat.

All the best,

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K262

JB Duler

Thanks all for the advice. That helped me pushing back.
I had to fight and nail with the yard, they wanted to drill another hole in the hull :-)
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco