Machine shop in Tahiti

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hello Everybody,

Can anyone recommend a good machine shop in Pape'ete for rebuilding the outhaul gearbox? Has anyone had this done in Tahiti before? The bronze worm gear has likely been sheared by the steel worm. The unit is a Leroy Somer.

Asking for a friend who is currently on passage from NZ to Tahiti on a Super Maramu.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

Porter McRoberts

There is plenty of support there. You can buy all the replacement seals and bearings at Tahiti Roulement. And plenty of folks who can help. Scott, have the number of your Russian engineer?

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS
A54-152

On Jan 27, 2021, at 1:03 PM, Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hello Everybody,

Can anyone recommend a good machine shop in Pape'ete for rebuilding the outhaul gearbox? Has anyone had this done in Tahiti before? The bronze worm gear has likely been sheared by the steel worm. The unit is a Leroy Somer.

Asking for a friend who is currently on passage from NZ to Tahiti on a Super Maramu.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

Scott SV Tengah

Have you friend reach out to me and I can set him up with the Russian. That guy is cheap and knows the lay of the land.

He can also look up the Societies compendium written by fellow cruisers. A few companies listed there. There's a local who lived in NZ for many years and speaks great English. Haven't used him but hear good things. He's in the doc.

Technimarine could maybe do it but $$$$$ and you might not get what you pay for.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69