Water coming in at portside from a previous wrong repair

VICTOR MOLERO

Hello all.
 A few yeras back, while in the marina a strong storm caused a collision of my SM with the boat moored to our portside. It was repaired but since then we have noticed water in the kitchen, right under the stove. I think that I have finally found from the inside what the source of water may be (only when it rains), and seems to be on the fibreglass. Does anyone have any recomendation to fix this? Should I just put a patch of fibre glass on top of the affected area inside the boat, or should I do something also at the outside (by the rubrail)? I am attaching some pictures. Any recomendation will be more than welcome.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

Victor,

I believe that you should get a professional opinion/survey.

I suggest that you ask the most qualified person I know.
Olivier BEAUTE / ATLANTIC YACHT SURVEY
32 avenue des Corsaires
17000 LA ROCHELLE
Tel: +33 546 522 147   Mob: +33 674 028 243
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 7:09 AM VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...> wrote:
Hello all.
 A few yeras back, while in the marina a strong storm caused a collision of my SM with the boat moored to our portside. It was repaired but since then we have noticed water in the kitchen, right under the stove. I think that I have finally found from the inside what the source of water may be (only when it rains), and seems to be on the fibreglass. Does anyone have any recomendation to fix this? Should I just put a patch of fibre glass on top of the affected area inside the boat, or should I do something also at the outside (by the rubrail)? I am attaching some pictures. Any recomendation will be more than welcome.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Hello Victor,

I agree with Bill to get a professional opinion!  But, I do have some comments and would like to know if they make sense.

1.  Do not let anyone patch this from the inside.  This will continue to allow water to get into the fiberglass.  This repair would just be an infected bandaid causing more problems in the future.  You need to find the place where the water enters.

2.  Once you find the place where the water is entering - grind it down, pour lots of alcohol down the crack, then put some Creek Crack cure down it.

3.  Then a few layers of fiberglass, then some Gelcoat.

4.  I would not seal from the interior.  This might trap some moisture in your fiberglass causing more problems in the future.

Just something to think about.

Best,

Ken Powers
Aquarius

VICTOR MOLERO

Great advice, Ken.
I appreciate your comments.
Following Bill's recommendation, I wrote to Olivier. I'll see what he says about it.
Best.
Victor