Watermaker #photo-notice

Susan Commarato

Can anyone tell me what type of oil is in the high pressure gauge of the watermaker? It’s a Watermaker HR BY4. I’m  on a friends boat and he has a leak.
S/V Rochelle
2007 Amel54
Thanks
Susan

michael winand

I would think it is glycerine
Michael  Nebo  sm251

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 at 11:40 am, Susan Commarato via groups.io
<sueisnuts@...> wrote:
Can anyone tell me what type of oil is in the high pressure gauge of the watermaker? It’s a Watermaker HR BY4. I’m  on a friends boat and he has a leak.
S/V Rochelle
2007 Amel54
Thanks
Susan

Arno Luijten

Hi, I had the very same problem. I bought some special oil that goes into these gauges. I found the cap on the top of the gauge parished. So I put some tape over it, but it kept loosing oil so I gave up on it and bought a new one.
Be aware that once you start taking the panel apart to replace the gauge you will most likely find more parts that need replacement also because of the taking apart.

This is the oil I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0HVY8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Matt Salatino

I believe mineral oil can be used.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 14, 2021, at 8:40 PM, Susan Commarato via groups.io <sueisnuts@...> wrote:

Can anyone tell me what type of oil is in the high pressure gauge of the watermaker? It’s a Watermaker HR BY4. I’m  on a friends boat and he has a leak.
S/V Rochelle
2007 Amel54
Thanks
Susan

Karen Smith

These gauges might be filled with either glycerine, mineral oil, or food grade silicone oil.  Basically, something inert, that if it leaks into the water side of the gauge will not be toxic.  If the "oil" in the gauge dissolves in water--it is glycerine.  I can't think off hand of a quick and easy test to differentiate mineral oil from silicone oil.

My preference for a watermaker pressure gauge would definitely be glycerine.  Mineral oil and silicone oil would destroy the membranes if they ever leaked into the water side even if they did not poison the resulting drinking water.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Arno Luijten

FWIW:

The chance the oil will find its way to the membranes is very small as the pressure gauge is way downstream relative to the membranes. At the control panel there is no connection between the salt water flow and the product water flow.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121