companionway

Eloi Bamberg

Hey,
The sliding hatch of the companionway of our SM2K is rather difficult to move, does anybody know what to do to make it slide again smoothly?

Eloi
SM2K 426
Canet en Roussillon

Steven Nieman

Hi, I rubbed  the sliding part and the sliders with a candle. Worked very well.

Kindest Regards,

Steven
SM redline # 476

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 23 feb. 2021 om 23:30 heeft Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hey,
The sliding hatch of the companionway of our SM2K is rather difficult to move, does anybody know what to do to make it slide again smoothly?

Eloi
SM2K 426
Canet en Roussillon

Bill Kinney

Eloi,

I assume you mean the part of the companionway that slides horizontally.  Over time, with many openings and closings, the fiberglass surface wears down, and it touches in places it shouldn't which adds a lot of friction.  If this is the case, you'll need to build up the material a little bit, and make it slipperier. Fortunetly, this is not hard.

You'll need remove the sliding part of the hatch by removing the metal brackets at the front of the track, the entire hatch will then pull out into the cockpit. Add a layer of slippery material to the bottom of the moving part of the hatch where it touches the boat below it.  Use something like this: UNMW PE Slide Tape. I think the 1/2 inch (12.5 mm) width is right, but you'll want to check that. You might have to add two layers of tape if your hatch is especially worn.  If you can find the tape in thicknesses greater than 5 mil that would be even better.

We did this about 4 years ago, and the hatch still moves like it is sliding on ice.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

I like 3M Silicone Lubricant - Dry Version. You will find many uses for it. But be sure that the rubber scraper seal at the bottom of the door is not sticking and folding over. If it is, use this same spray to lubricate the face of the door.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:40 PM Steven Nieman <stefnieman@...> wrote:
Hi, I rubbed  the sliding part and the sliders with a candle. Worked very well.

Kindest Regards,

Steven
SM redline # 476

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 23 feb. 2021 om 23:30 heeft Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hey,
The sliding hatch of the companionway of our SM2K is rather difficult to move, does anybody know what to do to make it slide again smoothly?

Eloi
SM2K 426
Canet en Roussillon

Eric Freedman

I use a dry silicone like sailkote or a similar 3m product both on the rubber gasket on the vertical part of the companionway as well as the sliding hatch.

The hatch needs to be sprayed in the tropics twice a year.

It is used mostly for the foil tracks on the sails as it is not a wet lubricant and does not attract dust.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Hi, I rubbed  the sliding part and the sliders with a candle. Worked very well.

Kindest Regards,

Steven

SM redline # 476

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 23 feb. 2021 om 23:30 heeft Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hey,
The sliding hatch of the companionway of our SM2K is rather difficult to move, does anybody know what to do to make it slide again smoothly?

Eloi
SM2K 426
Canet en Roussillon

Jarek Zemlo

Hi

is it possible to get the rubber scraper (for the companionway) from AMEL or other source?

Regards
Jarek
NOA BLUE

PAOLO CUNEO

Hi all,
I solved the problem of the excess friction of the vertical sliding part against the bottom rubber scraper with the application of common talcum powder, with the advantage of avoiding anything oily or sticky
Bests
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

Inviato da iPad

When others have checked with Amel, they were told no, but things always seem to change. I would check.
This may help you.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 2:33 AM Jarek Zemlo via groups.io <noa_blue=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi

is it possible to get the rubber scraper (for the companionway) from AMEL or other source?

Regards
Jarek
NOA BLUE

Giovanni TESTA

Hi to all,
...in PDF. " Pay attention to the rubber weather strip and do not allow it to fold under itself when lowering the door"... solution: talcum powder on black rubber/teak surface. Very easy and effective.
Fair winds
Giovanni Testa
sv EUTIKIA SM 428

Il 24/02/2021 14:35, CW Bill Rouse ha scritto:
When others have checked with Amel, they were told no, but things always seem to change. I would check.
This may help you.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 2:33 AM Jarek Zemlo via groups.io <noa_blue=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi

is it possible to get the rubber scraper (for the companionway) from AMEL or other source?

Regards
Jarek
NOA BLUE

Barry Connor

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
I have been sanding, cleaning this door for months after the 2nd Captain put some teak stain on to make it look pretty. Building my muscles lifting it up and pushing it down.
The talc de toilette powder is great.
Really makes it worth reading all posts.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Le Marin,  Martinique

On Feb 24, 2021, at 10:49, Giovanni TESTA <giovannitesta53@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you everybody,
I meant the horizontal part but it is good to know that talcum helps on the rubber seal. I have anyway to re-varnish the wooden parts. Afterwords i will try the sliding tape

regards

Eloi
SM2K 426