C drive drain bolt

Dean Gillies

Hi Bill,
Understood, thanks for clarifying.

My use of the word "tight" was related to the bolt not being "loose" and therefore able to move around. When I did this job in 2019, I bought a number of different standard-sized bonded washers to try and get a "not-loose" position of the V-bolt which also lined up with the line-cutter.  I was unable to achieve that goal. The use of mastic as a sealant/fixing compound is required to ensure the bolt remains "not-loose".

This was another one of those classic boat projects which should take a couple of hours to complete, but extends to days waiting for washers to arrive by mail!

Cheers, Dean
SV Stella
A54-154       

eric freedman

Hi Paul,

Here is a page from McMaster showing sealing washers.

Scroll down the page

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/3499.

The drain bolt just has to be snug.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Osterberg
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2021 5:10 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] C drive drain bolt

Thank you Bill!
You are correct as always, but the washer in the bottom of the hole needs to be compressed i bit I assume? in that case some tightness is needed.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg

Thank you Bill!
You are correct as always, but the washer in the bottom of the hole needs to be compressed i bit I assume? in that case some tightness is needed.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Bill Kinney

It is important to understand that the O-ring seal on the drain plug does not work by being "tight." It works just by rubbing up against the outside of the hole that it fits in, and that fit does not not tighter by cranking harder on the nut.

O-rings seals--of any kind--rarely work better by making them "tighter". If they leak, it is usually because of scratches or other damage to the sealing face.  In almost all cases, squeezing harder does not fix the problem.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Dean Gillies

Paul, I could not get my bolt to align correctly and also be tight. I tried different washers etc. In the end I consulted the Forum and the common wisdom is to use mastic to seal the bolt in the correct position.
Cheers, Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Sent from my iPhone X

Paul Osterberg

I'm in the process of replacing the shaft bushing on my SM. How do you make sure the drain plug with the large slot for the line cutter is allaigned and firmly tighten at the same time? I was thinking of adding two washers instead of one at the bottom of the drain hole to be able to compress and also allaigne. Further use the old fashioned lin and paste instead of Teflon tape.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Lagos Portugal