Super Maramu rudder filled with water

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Dear all,

Our boat is out of the water at the moment and when we removed the zincs, a lot of water drained out. I seem to remember that there should be a drainage hole at the bottom of the rudder, is that correct? Or do we have another problem?

Best regards,
Helen and Kostas on “Meditation “, SM 29 of 1990

Dominique Sery

Hello,
There is a hole at the bottom of my rudder (A54).
When we lift the boat the sea water flows through this hole.
Dominique

Your SM had a drain hole at the bottom of the rudder. The hole must be clogged or someone filled it in.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:35 AM Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello,
There is a hole at the bottom of my rudder (A54).
When we lift the boat the sea water flows through this hole.
Dominique

Scott SV Tengah

Helen,

If I had to guess, the hole at the bottom of your rudder is plugged with debris. Stick a screwdriver in there, rotate it around and it should loosen up any debris. Pour some water into the opening around the middle rudder/skeg bracket to help flush out the debris while you're doing it.

Hope that helps.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Hi thanks everyone, we’ll look for the drainage hole!!

On 4 Mar 2021, at 6:39 PM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Helen,

If I had to guess, the hole at the bottom of your rudder is plugged with debris. Stick a screwdriver in there, rotate it around and it should loosen up any debris. Pour some water into the opening around the middle rudder/skeg bracket to help flush out the debris while you're doing it.

Hope that helps.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Helen and Kostas,
As others have said there is a drain hole in the bottom of the rudder. The rudder is hollow and the drain hole is in the bottom near the front. Over time, particularly if you spend time in muddy estuaries the rudder can fill with mud. Get a hose and push water up into the hole having first opened the hole with a screwdriver/
egards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 05 March 2021 at 04:03 Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi <helenmi57@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

Our boat is out of the water at the moment and when we removed the zincs, a lot of water drained out. I seem to remember that there should be a drainage hole at the bottom of the rudder, is that correct? Or do we have another problem?

Best regards,
Helen and Kostas on “Meditation “, SM 29 of 1990

Ralf Schroeder

Hi Amelians,

is this hole only on the sm or is normaly on a amel and so on my sharki too - normaly?

Best Regards
Ralf

SV Baghira, Sharki #42

marklesparkle59

Ralf, Sharki #96 Sea Hobo has a hole in the bottom of the rudder.

Mark Porter
Sea Hobo
Sharki 96
Cargreen YC