Galley sink drain

Alan Leslie

Hello Amelians,

This is actually an old topic, but I couldn't find any definitive answers.
For years we have been rinsing dishes and emptying coffee grounds in the cockpit to avoid fouling the grey water "tank", and I'm tired of that inconvenience.
Has anyone in the group installed a thru hull in a SM to drain the galley sink directly to the sea?
If so, where did you locate the thru hull, as it is almost impossible to have it on the centreline?
Did you have issues on stbd tack with water coming up through the drain?
Clearly any thru hull needs a valve to close it off, so that would solve that issue, but I also thought of having a 3 way valve so the drain could be diverted to the grey water tank when at sea.
Any advice/ ideas welcome.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Dennis Johns

Hi Alan, I have a Maramu so I don't know if this suggestion applies.  Our aft head sink drains to the sea in a thru hull port amidships.  Don't know where the SM aft sink drains but you might want to check if you can "T" your galley drain (with the 'Y" valve as you propose) into that aft drain line.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu 121

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 12:54 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul Guenette

Hi Alan,

I was onboard Rascal SM-404 a few years ago. One of the previous owners had installed a grey water sump kit, (like an off the shelf marine shower / grey water sump kit), under the galley sink which then was plumbed into a Y installed prior to hull the exit point of the main through hull. It was a simple set up which seemed to work well and did not require adding another through hull.

Paul
Aramis SM-444
Comox, BC, Canada

Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal <svrascal@...>

This is still the case on Rascal. Small grey water tank is still there  under the floorboards under the galley sink. The pump is mounted in the engine room and  so far it all works pretty well. I am still careful about what goes into it with regards waste etc (no coffee grounds and as little as possible with regards fine particles etc so not sure what difference it really makes to the overall grey water management across the two bilges.

The tank is very easy to clean and maintain. Being the new owner I am unable to comment on the impact on the main grey water bilge, but having cleaned out both bilges over the past month, I know which one I would rather clean out on a regular basis.

I understand the concerns about the integrity of the bulkheads and ho this could be jeopardised if the installation was not structurally sound.

Happy to send photos of the set up if required, and I am sure that previous owners will have their own opinions, as will other SM owners with far more experience of ownership than myself, but for me, for now it stays...

Nick
SM 404
SV Rascal
Antigua

I was onboard Rascal SM-404 a few years ago. One of the previous owners had installed a grey water sump kit, (like an off the shelf marine shower / grey water sump kit), under the galley sink which then was plumbed into a Y installed prior to hull the exit point of the main through hull. It was a simple set up which seemed to work well and did not require adding another through hull.

Paul
Aramis SM-444
Comox, BC, Canada

Alan Leslie

Thanks Nick,

Could you post some photos, I don;t quite understand how your system works.

Thanks
Alan
Elyse SM437

Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal <svrascal@...>

Alan

Apologies for the late response.

I hope there help, let me know if there is anything else that might help

Nick
SV Rascal
SM 404
Antigua

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 4:21 AM, Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Thanks Nick,

Could you post some photos, I don;t quite understand how your system works.

Thanks
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Thanks Nick,
Now I get it...interesting idea...
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Joerg Esdorn

Thanks for the post, Alan.  Good to be able to think about potential improvements if we cannot sail or even realistically plan sailing soon.   I am considering installing something similar on my A55 but the pictures are not clear to me since I’m not familiar enough with the SM.  How is the exit hose from the tank run - which seacock does it use?   I think it would be preferable to have a macerator pump deal with what goes into the tank so there is no issue with the usual kitchen residue like coffee grounds and, indeed, pasta going down the drain.

cheers Joerg

A55 #53 Kincsem
On the hard in Vigo, Spain

Alan Leslie

Hi Joerg,

It's not me, I haven't done it
If you track back the messages you'll see that It's Nick on RASCAL.
My guess is that his exit hose just goes where the standard galley sink drain goes into the grey water sump.
My idea was to go straight into the sea, but maybe a shower sump might be better and then pump out to the sea.
A macerator pump will just turn the waste into smaller pieces, it would still be in the grey water sump and that's what I'd like to avoid.
Anyway, good discussion, lots of ideas....keeps the mind working when I can't get near Elyse.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Joerg Esdorn

Freudian error, Alan.  I meant to ask Nick this question.  I’m thinking to use a macerator pump as is installed in the electrical toilets.  Those pump the toilet waste up into the black water tank.  So the kitchen waste could be pumped up as well and exit above the waterline.

Cheers. Joerg

Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal <svrascal@...>

Joerg,

Not sure I am the expert here, but here goes with my 10cents worth.

The hose from the sink bilge runs back through into the engine room. I assume that this is the original route, feeding into the grey bilge.

There is a bilge pump mounted on the engine Bay bulkhead that is triggered by the grey water bilge under the sink. This pump gulps the waste from the bilge and via a looping vertical and then heads across to  port, route, then enters the main grey water bilge outflow hose, via a “Y” connect and then out out the boat via the main grey water bilge hose.

It works ok, but I donot t put any solids at all down it.

I have cleaned both bilges in the past month. I sense that I will have to clean the sink bilge more often to prevent any odour from this. I have noticed that after 10 days on the hard it was pretty ripe, so have cleaned it again.

With regards the macerated idea. Not sure I am the expert, but intuitively I would be concerned that it would struggle to do the lift and pump out over such a distance. Again, I am the uneducated at such things, maybe in series with a bilge pump.

Hope this helps

Again, I’m not sure I’ll keep the solution I was presented. For now, it works, easier to clean , so it stays.... but I am very diligent about what goes in, much like I would be if the original / proper Amel SM setup.

Nick

SV Rascal
SM 404
Antigua

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 11:42 AM, Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313@...> wrThanks for the post, Alan.  Good to be able to think about potential improvements if we cannot sail or even realistically plan sailing soon.   I am considering installing something similar on my A55 but the pictures are not clear to me since I’m not familiar enough with the SM.  How is the exit hose from the tank run - which seacock does it use?   I think it would be preferable to have a macerator pump deal with what goes into the tank so there is no issue with the usual kitchen residue like coffee grounds and, indeed, pasta going down the drain.

cheers Joerg

A55 #53 Kincsem
On the hard in Vigo, Spain

Mark Erdos

Use a fine stainless strainer in the sink and pour a gallon of vinegar in down the sink periodically.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal <svrascal@...>

Thanks Mark,

I do use the filter in both sinks . Will try the vinegar route as well.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:33 AM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Use a fine stainless strainer in the sink and pour a gallon of vinegar in down the sink periodically.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Joerg Esdorn

Thanks much, Nick.  Joerg

Alan Leslie

Hi folks,

After all this discussion, my current idea is to use one of those shower sumps under the floor below the galley sink and plumb the outlet to a thru-bulkhead connector into the engine room, then run a hose from that to Tee into the bilge pump outlet hose near the thru hull.
That way we can pump the galley sink overboard without going into the grey water sump and also without putting in another thruhull.
If I ever get back to Elyse, that's what I'll do.....unless there's something I haven't considered which would make it a good reason not to....

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437