Insurance

Patrick McAneny

Eric, For a couple of hundred bucks ,I think it adds a significant safety margin in the event of a major leak,giving me time to deal with the issue. Along with that ,I feel good that I have a pump on board that I could lend to another boat in distress, taking on water . It could potentially save another boat from sinking as well as my own.
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River , Md.

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Sat, May 1, 2021 7:01 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Insurance

Pat,
Thank you. Good Idea !!!
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2021 9:00 AM

Eric , I bought the one you have the link to , the Tsurumi pump and it is 120v  ,which I will run off my inverter . The 45 gal./minute I quoted is from their chart at a 7 ft. head pressure. Not sure you can rely on any numbers produced by manufacturers ,but it does pump a hell of a lot of water . I think it could keep up with a broken  sea cock . It can handle 1/4" objects and has pumped our pond out ,where the bottom has leaves and crap ,dirtier than I hope my boat ever gets.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Fri, Apr 30, 2021 7:43 pm
Is this a 220 volt unit or do you run it off of an inverter?
The only issue I see with the one attached is the starting amps is 12.5.
It looks like a great pump ; however it does have an impeller..

Our AMFA bilge pump is a diaphragm pump . Last time I took it apart it was incredible what was inside of the pump including a few cable ties. I just wonder how resistant to clogging the electric one is..

The pumps I see on construction sites always seem to be diaphragm pumps.

Fair Winds
Eric

Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 3:21 PM

While on passage to the Caribbean a couple of years ago at about 3 am . I discovered about a foot of water under the floor boards by the nav station. Conditions had been rough for days and the bow thruster had been leaking obviously for some time. I had a household A/C submersible pump and that eventually pumped out the water ,but it clogged a lot with bits of paper etc. and only pumped thru a garden hose. That confirmed for me ,that I would always want to have an auxiliary pump on board ,just a bigger ,better one that can not clog. 
So I now have a A/C submersible trash pump, a trash pump is designed to pump high volumes of water while allowing  debris to pass thru and out the pump without clogging. The pump I bought pumps 45 gallons per minute thru a two inch hose. The cord is very long and the hose is 50 ft. long. This has the advantage of being able to locate the pump where needed. I could drop it over the side and put a lot of water on a fire as well. While I can't remember what I paid ,it was not more than $400.
I also have a water garden with ponds totaling 4000 gallons ,which I can now drain quickly with no clogging as opposed to hours with my previous pump clogging every few minutes. Goggle trash pumps. 
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River , Md.

To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm
The extra-large bilge pump requirement is becoming popular among insurance companies. It started with one "brilliant" underwriter. Frankly, I am waiting for the same "brilliant" or another expert to require watertight compartments.😀

I suggest that you buy a large-capacity submersible 24-volt Rule Pump and the required length of hose to be able to use the pump anywhere in your Amel. Maybe you can justify the few hundred expense to be able to pump out your water tank.
image.png

Image removed by sender.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 12:35 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:
Joerg,

I do not have a clause for a bilge pump requirement. My TopSail underwriter is 100% Great Lakes Insurance SE. It look like they subbed your policy to MRRSI.

This is an issue that has been bought up previously in this group. If I am to face the same clause, I would just install a secondary pump higher than the original (perhaps in the dry area just forward of the Amel drive) and splice the output hose with a Y valve past the primary pump. This way the original pump is still the primary and the secondary is there to match the insurance needs but would never be cycled. This could be done for about €150.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joerg Esdorn via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 5:06 AM

I just received a competitive quote from Topsail but it contains a condition that I need to have a bilge pump capable of 100l/minute.   The standard electrical pump on the A55 does 30l/minute only and it’s the same pump as is installed on most recent prior models.   Mark, did you have to install a bigger pump to get Topsail cover?  Cover is through  Great Lakes Insurance SE via Munich Re Risk Solutions Ireland (MRRSI).   

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

eric freedman

Pat,

Thank you. Good Idea !!!

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2021 9:00 AM

Eric , I bought the one you have the link to , the Tsurumi pump and it is 120v  ,which I will run off my inverter . The 45 gal./minute I quoted is from their chart at a 7 ft. head pressure. Not sure you can rely on any numbers produced by manufacturers ,but it does pump a hell of a lot of water . I think it could keep up with a broken  sea cock . It can handle 1/4" objects and has pumped our pond out ,where the bottom has leaves and crap ,dirtier than I hope my boat ever gets.

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Our AMFA bilge pump is a diaphragm pump . Last time I took it apart it was incredible what was inside of the pump including a few cable ties. I just wonder how resistant to clogging the electric one is..

Fair Winds

Eric

While on passage to the Caribbean a couple of years ago at about 3 am . I discovered about a foot of water under the floor boards by the nav station. Conditions had been rough for days and the bow thruster had been leaking obviously for some time. I had a household A/C submersible pump and that eventually pumped out the water ,but it clogged a lot with bits of paper etc. and only pumped thru a garden hose. That confirmed for me ,that I would always want to have an auxiliary pump on board ,just a bigger ,better one that can not clog. 

So I now have a A/C submersible trash pump, a trash pump is designed to pump high volumes of water while allowing  debris to pass thru and out the pump without clogging. The pump I bought pumps 45 gallons per minute thru a two inch hose. The cord is very long and the hose is 50 ft. long. This has the advantage of being able to locate the pump where needed. I could drop it over the side and put a lot of water on a fire as well. While I can't remember what I paid ,it was not more than $400.

I also have a water garden with ponds totaling 4000 gallons ,which I can now drain quickly with no clogging as opposed to hours with my previous pump clogging every few minutes. Goggle trash pumps. 

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Sassafras River , Md.

To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

The extra-large bilge pump requirement is becoming popular among insurance companies. It started with one "brilliant" underwriter. Frankly, I am waiting for the same "brilliant" or another expert to require watertight compartments.😀

I suggest that you buy a large-capacity submersible 24-volt Rule Pump and the required length of hose to be able to use the pump anywhere in your Amel. Maybe you can justify the few hundred expense to be able to pump out your water tank.

image.png

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Joerg,

I do not have a clause for a bilge pump requirement. My TopSail underwriter is 100% Great Lakes Insurance SE. It look like they subbed your policy to MRRSI.

This is an issue that has been bought up previously in this group. If I am to face the same clause, I would just install a secondary pump higher than the original (perhaps in the dry area just forward of the Amel drive) and splice the output hose with a Y valve past the primary pump. This way the original pump is still the primary and the secondary is there to match the insurance needs but would never be cycled. This could be done for about €150.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joerg Esdorn via groups.io

I just received a competitive quote from Topsail but it contains a condition that I need to have a bilge pump capable of 100l/minute.   The standard electrical pump on the A55 does 30l/minute only and it’s the same pump as is installed on most recent prior models.   Mark, did you have to install a bigger pump to get Topsail cover?  Cover is through  Great Lakes Insurance SE via Munich Re Risk Solutions Ireland (MRRSI).   

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Patrick McAneny

Pat
SM Shenanigans

Fair Winds
Eric

Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River , Md.

image.png

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Joerg,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

eric freedman

https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Tsurumi-Pump-HS2-4S-62-Water-Pump/p7023.html

Fair Winds

Eric

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Sassafras River , Md.

image.png

Image removed by sender.

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.

Joerg,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Mark Erdos

I guess I might already be in compliance if the insurance clause were to appear on my policy. I already have a pump like this to empty the water tank. It also has a rubbery 2” 30’ hose so I can pump over the side. It is labeled as emergency pump and stores nicely in a tote bag.

I am not sure if this would meet the insurance requirement or not, since it is not a full time automatic bilge pump. I wonder if the policy specifies this must be the case?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 8:18 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification

image.png

Joerg,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Patrick McAneny

Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River , Md.

image.png

Joerg,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

image.png

Joerg,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Mark Erdos

Joerg,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

I just received a competitive quote from Topsail but it contains a condition that I need to have a bilge pump capable of 100l/minute.   The standard electrical pump on the A55 does 30l/minute only and it’s the same pump as is installed on most recent prior models.   Mark, did you have to install a bigger pump to get Topsail cover?  Cover is through  Great Lakes Insurance SE via Munich Re Risk Solutions Ireland (MRRSI).   

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Joerg Esdorn

I just received a competitive quote from Topsail but it contains a condition that I need to have a bilge pump capable of 100l/minute.   The standard electrical pump on the A55 does 30l/minute only and it’s the same pump as is installed on most recent prior models.   Mark, did you have to install a bigger pump to get Topsail cover?  Cover is through  Great Lakes Insurance SE via Munich Re Risk Solutions Ireland (MRRSI).   

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Billy,

After multiple quotes and sticker shock, Bill helped me find Manifest Marine.  Elliott (540-834-8435) took the time to understand where I was planning to spend the next 12 months and quote a policy that matched my needs.  We are paying less than your original policy and are covered for the East Coast to Bermuda.  This works fine for us in the near term, and we save some bank.  Maybe worth a call to him.

Matt
SV Talia 
SM#208

eric freedman

Hi,

What model Amel do you have?

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Billy Newport
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 10:39 PM

I got my surprise from Boat US today. I'm moving my Amel from NJ to NJ, literally 20 miles to a different marina and my annual premium went from 3.7K to 11.4K. No good reason for this rise, "crime", "could be more exposed to weather" etc. Shopping around now.

Billy Newport

I got my surprise from Boat US today. I'm moving my Amel from NJ to NJ, literally 20 miles to a different marina and my annual premium went from 3.7K to 11.4K. No good reason for this rise, "crime", "could be more exposed to weather" etc. Shopping around now.

william reynolds

Here is the information on Netherlands Insurance. I worked with Anell Brown and her direct email is  Anell.brown@...,gd
The cruising limits are  - "Worldwide"
 I've owned boats and airplanes for over 40 years and have been very careful in my dealings with insurance, maintenance, storage and purchase/sales dealings.  I did lots of research before I chose this policy.
Be prudent and make your own decisions.

Netherlands Insurance Company (WI) Ltd
Netherlands Building,
Grand Anse, P. O. Box 880,
St. George’s, Grenada, West Indies.
Voice +1-473-444-3012
Fax +1-473-444-2853
E-mail info@...

Cheers
Bill Reynolds
Cloudstreet
Amel SM2K 331

Arno Luijten

I wonder why they want to hold on to their original connection with Holland after they "became wholly independent?"

Simple – see attached.

Best Regards Teun
SV AMELIT  A54  #128 

And you stick such a sticker above a embossed BMW logo????

OMG

Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121

Slavko Despotovic

Hello,

I asked my agent for info regarding the insurance  and his answer is that he has checked with Pantaenious and there will be no change to insurance for my boat. All my boats had/have Slovenia flag,  this is EU since 2004. Maybe I need to add that I have insurance with them since 1996 when I bought my first boat. I had one claim that was solved fast. That was in 2001.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

JB Duler

Eric,

I agree with you. There are no financials, no valid auditors, no AM Best nor S&P rating.Even having Lloyds as a reinsurer means nothing. They are notorious to fight claims.

Think for a second: most insurance companies and reinsurers are trying to diversify risks in a different parts of the world, so when a catastrophic incident occurs (hurricane, earthquake) they are OK.

Now this company has ALL its business in ONE location.

The answer: write more business, offer better terms, hoping there will be no claims. You know how that ends.

Large commercial shipping companies have brokers to place their business. They don't place that business with phony insurance companies, or their professional liability would first on the line if that company goes belly up.

But one day claims occur, and the business folds.

Every state in the US, every country in Europe has financial regulators that exist to protect the consumer. They monitor constantly assets and liabilities. They limit by law the risky assets to avoid fluctuations of outcomes, and they monitor reserves by cross referencing what actuaries provide.

Despite all of that, regulators get tricked by insurance companies. But if that happens (and it does happen a lot in the US), the insurance company is placed in receivership, and there is an actual fund that exists to protect policyholders, and that fund is fed with taxes levied from insurance companies.

There are no such thing in Granada.

FYI, David Marchant had uncovered what was the Ponzi scheme at First International Bank of Grenada.

Remember, if it is too good to be true, it probably is not. Don't buy shabby insurance, it will prove to be a waste a money when you need it the most.

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Mark Erdos

I’m glad I’m not the only person who thought this might be a little bit fishy. I tried to find out info on the company but other than their webpage, it is like they don’t exist. Because they underwrite their own policies, there are no AM Best or Standard & Poor's ratings to understand how financially sound the company actually is. I too was also perplexed they do not name the London based re-insurer. For all we know it could be Joe’s Fish ‘n Chip Shoppe.

I still run into the occasional FaceBook post or cruiser who is highly recommending Edward Williams Marine Insurance because they have a cheap policy with no limits and low deductibles. One quick Google search is all it takes to reveal they are a know scam and for some reason still in existence. But, they have a great webpage.

I hope for Bill Reynolds’s case Netherland is sound. I wonder Bill if you can share more info about them. It would be great to find a place who can help the dilemma many are facing trying to get a policy. Sorry to be so skeptical, Bill.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Teun BAAS
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 12:03 PM

Bill,

I wonder why they want to hold on to their original connection with Holland after they "became wholly independent?"

Simple – see attached.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

In Storage on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 23, 2021 15:01:52

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 14:54

Courtney:https://netherlands.co.gd

From their website: "Netherlands Insurance Co. (W.I.) Limited is a general insurance company registered to conduct insurance business in Grenada and Antigua. Originally established in August 1992
 as a subsidiary of a Dutch insurance company, the company has since become wholly independent."

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 3:51 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill can you please share their contact information 

On Apr 22, 2021, at 10:22 PM, william reynolds <sail23692@...> wrote:

We reinsured  last year with Netherlands Insurance, based in Grenada with offices in Holland. NO underwriters. They are the carriers, insurers and underwriters.

They have insured large international commercial vessels for many years and have only recently offered policies to recreational vessels. They have no history with hurricane losses.We visited their offices on Well St. in Grenada and we were impressed with the professionalism of the company.  The rates  are a bit higher but  the coverage is excellent with 2  million liability, 10% of insured value for personal effects and no exclusion for lightning strikes. The deductible is fixed at 2% and 4% (yes that's 4%) for named storms. Navigational limits are worldwide!  

It's well worth looking into.

Bill Reynolds

Cloudstreet SM2K 331.

amelforme

Or as my friend and Dutchman Gunter Van den Berg, who I sold a Maramu to decades ago would say, “ You ain’t much if you ain’t Dutch”.

All the best,

Joel

JOEL F. POTTER ~ CRUISING YACHT SPECIALIST, L.L.C.

The Experienced AMEL Guy

UNSURPASSED AMEL MARKETING EXPERIENCE AND PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE

Office 954-462-5869  Cell 954-812-2485

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 6:03 PM

Bill,

Simple – see attached.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io

From their website: "Netherlands Insurance Co. (W.I.) Limited is a general insurance company registered to conduct insurance business in Grenada and Antigua. Originally established in August 1992
 as a subsidiary of a Dutch insurance company, the company has since become wholly independent."

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 3:51 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

We reinsured  last year with Netherlands Insurance, based in Grenada with offices in Holland. NO underwriters. They are the carriers, insurers and underwriters.

They have insured large international commercial vessels for many years and have only recently offered policies to recreational vessels. They have no history with hurricane losses.We visited their offices on Well St. in Grenada and we were impressed with the professionalism of the company.  The rates  are a bit higher but  the coverage is excellent with 2  million liability, 10% of insured value for personal effects and no exclusion for lightning strikes. The deductible is fixed at 2% and 4% (yes that's 4%) for named storms. Navigational limits are worldwide!  

Bill Reynolds

Cloudstreet SM2K 331.

eric freedman

“wholly independent and presently boasts a majority of local shareholders.

Netherlands currently serves the insurance needs of over 3,000 individuals, families and businesses in Grenada and Antigua and is well known for quick, efficient service and prompt settlement of claims”.

This quote from their website gives me pause. They also say that they are reinsured by a London Based company without naming the name.  If I were reinsured by Lloyds, I would certainly mention it. They have 3,000 clients on 2 islands. They also provide homeowners insurance  , and auto.

They are funded by mostly local investors.

I would be skeptical of their claims process and experience in Insuring offshore vessels. I certainly would not want to wind up like Alexandre of Nikimat.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Mohammad Shirloo
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 5:58 PM

Hi Eric;

We’re having the same insurance issues for the Med. I contacted Netherlands Insurance today and received a quick response with application forms to fill, which I have sent back. Here’s the link to their contact website and contact information:

https://netherlands.co.gd/#contact

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of eric freedman via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 2:55 PM

Hi Bill.

Also, what is their contact info?

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Courtney Gorman via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 4:51 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Bill Reynolds

Cloudstreet SM2K 331.

Teun BAAS

Bill,

Simple – see attached.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Bill Reynolds

Cloudstreet SM2K 331.