From: eric freedman <kimberlite@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Sat, May 1, 2021 7:01 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Insurance

Pat,
Thank you. Good Idea !!!
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2021 9:00 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Eric , I bought the one you have the link to , the Tsurumi pump and it is 120v  ,which I will run off my inverter . The 45 gal./minute I quoted is from their chart at a 7 ft. head pressure. Not sure you can rely on any numbers produced by manufacturers ,but it does pump a hell of a lot of water . I think it could keep up with a broken  sea cock . It can handle 1/4" objects and has pumped our pond out ,where the bottom has leaves and crap ,dirtier than I hope my boat ever gets.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

JB Duler

Eric,

I agree with you. There are no financials, no valid auditors, no AM Best nor S&P rating.Even having Lloyds as a reinsurer means nothing. They are notorious to fight claims.

Think for a second: most insurance companies and reinsurers are trying to diversify risks in a different parts of the world, so when a catastrophic incident occurs (hurricane, earthquake) they are OK.

Now this company has ALL its business in ONE location.

The answer: write more business, offer better terms, hoping there will be no claims. You know how that ends.

Large commercial shipping companies have brokers to place their business. They don't place that business with phony insurance companies, or their professional liability would first on the line if that company goes belly up.

But one day claims occur, and the business folds.

Every state in the US, every country in Europe has financial regulators that exist to protect the consumer. They monitor constantly assets and liabilities. They limit by law the risky assets to avoid fluctuations of outcomes, and they monitor reserves by cross referencing what actuaries provide.

Despite all of that, regulators get tricked by insurance companies. But if that happens (and it does happen a lot in the US), the insurance company is placed in receivership, and there is an actual fund that exists to protect policyholders, and that fund is fed with taxes levied from insurance companies.

There are no such thing in Granada.

FYI, David Marchant had uncovered what was the Ponzi scheme at First International Bank of Grenada.

Remember, if it is too good to be true, it probably is not. Don't buy shabby insurance, it will prove to be a waste a money when you need it the most.

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Mark Erdos

I’m glad I’m not the only person who thought this might be a little bit fishy. I tried to find out info on the company but other than their webpage, it is like they don’t exist. Because they underwrite their own policies, there are no AM Best or Standard & Poor's ratings to understand how financially sound the company actually is. I too was also perplexed they do not name the London based re-insurer. For all we know it could be Joe’s Fish ‘n Chip Shoppe.

I still run into the occasional FaceBook post or cruiser who is highly recommending Edward Williams Marine Insurance because they have a cheap policy with no limits and low deductibles. One quick Google search is all it takes to reveal they are a know scam and for some reason still in existence. But, they have a great webpage.

I hope for Bill Reynolds’s case Netherland is sound. I wonder Bill if you can share more info about them. It would be great to find a place who can help the dilemma many are facing trying to get a policy. Sorry to be so skeptical, Bill.

www.creampuff.us

I wonder why they want to hold on to their original connection with Holland after they "became wholly independent?"

Simple – see attached.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

In Storage on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 23, 2021 15:01:52

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

 as a subsidiary of a Dutch insurance company, the company has since become wholly independent."

I wonder why they want to hold on to their original connection with Holland after they "became wholly independent?"

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 3:51 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill can you please share their contact information

On Apr 22, 2021, at 10:22 PM, william reynolds <sail23692@...> wrote:

We reinsured  last year with Netherlands Insurance, based in Grenada with offices in Holland. NO underwriters. They are the carriers, insurers and underwriters.

They have insured large international commercial vessels for many years and have only recently offered policies to recreational vessels. They have no history with hurricane losses.We visited their offices on Well St. in Grenada and we were impressed with the professionalism of the company.  The rates  are a bit higher but  the coverage is excellent with 2  million liability, 10% of insured value for personal effects and no exclusion for lightning strikes. The deductible is fixed at 2% and 4% (yes that's 4%) for named storms. Navigational limits are worldwide!

It's well worth looking into.

Bill Reynolds

Cloudstreet SM2K 331.

amelforme

Or as my friend and Dutchman Gunter Van den Berg, who I sold a Maramu to decades ago would say, “ You ain’t much if you ain’t Dutch”.

All the best,

Joel

           JOEL F. POTTER ~ CRUISING YACHT SPECIALIST, L.L.C.

                                         The Experienced AMEL Guy

UNSURPASSED AMEL MARKETING EXPERIENCE AND PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE

                                  Office 954-462-5869  Cell 954-812-2485

[...]

eric freedman

“wholly independent and presently boasts a majority of local shareholders.

Netherlands currently serves the insurance needs of over 3,000 individuals, families and businesses in Grenada and Antigua and is well known for quick, efficient service and prompt settlement of claims”.

This quote from their website gives me pause. They also say that they are reinsured by a London Based company without naming the name.  If I were reinsured by Lloyds, I would certainly mention it. They have 3,000 clients on 2 islands. They also provide homeowners insurance  , and auto.

They are funded by mostly local investors.

I would be skeptical of their claims process and experience in Insuring offshore vessels. I certainly would not want to wind up like Alexandre of Nikimat.

Fair Winds

Eric