Attention Autohelm ST7000 Gurus!

Marcel Tromp

Hi Ian 0.05 sounds like neclectable when arriving at an atoll somewhere, I wish mine would be that accurate.
Marcel

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 at 4:09 am, eric freedman
<kimberlite@...> wrote:

I had that same problem with my autopilot course computer. Lee at Raymarine had me

Do a compass deviation correction while he was on the phone. I did it over and over again , and he kept saying that I was doing something wrong.

We finally agreed to have him check it out. Come to find out there was a loose resistor on the circuit board.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that they will fix an old course

computer currently.

Lee is the Guru of autopilots at Raymarine.

For that reason, I keep a spare on board.

When I need old Raymarine equipment I get it from eBay.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
Date: 2021-03-29 17:08 (GMT-05:00)
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Hi Ian,

I am puzzled. Do you expect the auto helm to keep you precisely on the rhumb line at all times or deliver you accurately to the way point. I would have thought the slight deviation which corrected you back to the rhumb line not exceptional. If you are using the auto function on the auto helm you can choose the response level. Set it high and the helm is continually adjusting to every swell induced swing with commensurate increase in battery drain. Set it lower and the adjustments are much less frequent and the boat will be allowed to respond to swells without the auto helm frantically trying to keep up. I wonder if your slight deviation could be a function of what response you have set.

Because I am more focused on wind and waves rather than precise way point course I almost always use the point the boat where I want to go and hit auto method, and off shore, wind steer. The wind steer function is brilliant as you can get your sail trim perfect and the boat maintains the correct angle. On a thousand mile passage a few miles to either side of the course is immaterial and easily corrected

On a different situation. Recently when I hit auto the boat would turn hard to port. Somewhat disconcerting. The problem was a corroded connection on the feed to the motor.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 March 2021 at 05:33 Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:

When I choose “Navigate” to a waypoint, the pilot steers the boat until it gets a 0.05 nm to 0.10 nm  XTE to port every time. Then it course corrects by heading to starboard until it gets back on the rhumb line. Takes about 5-10 minutes depending on the wind speed. Anyone with the same experience? Would it have to do with compass deviation? I am using a Raymarine E Series chartplotter.  Pilot is a rotary drive type.

Grazie tutti!

Ian
Loca Lola II
SM153

Ian Townsend

[...]

Brent Cameron

All autopilots work by utilizing a deviation from the current course over ground to the set course so it’s not surprising that it always does a (should be slight) turn to port as they need that deviation to be able to figure out the rate of change that they should be using to correct any deviation initially but it sounds to me like something isn’t right as it shouldn’t take that long to establish itself back on course.   Normally in waypoint mode, the AP gets confused if you have a significant cross track error but that is not the case here.

Does it track well in heading mode?  If you set a heading, let’s say 180˚, will it track well to that heading?  When you tell it to turn say 10˚ to port, does it line up quickly on 170˚ and track that well?  You should see it go promptly to that heading without any overshooting.  If that’s working well then your sensitivity to deviations (RESPONSE) and rudder gain (how fast it actually moves the rudder) adjustments are ok.   With Response, you generally want to keep it as low as the sea state will allow (reduces battery drain) to react to a change in course.  I’ve not seen it need to be set over a 2 except in really heavy seas.  Same thing for Rudder Gain… if the pilot is responding sluggishly to big deviations, then you might have to wind up the gain a notch.

You can check your AP compass by lining up on a known range and comparing your heading to the MAGNETIC bearing of your range (assuming you are on the line and pointed exactly down the range of course).  I wouldn’t get excited about a difference of a degree or two as your bow probably wasn’t pointed exactly at the range but if it’s out more than 4-5˚, you probably want to  make sure that your AP compass is recalibrated but before that, have a look to make sure nobody put something big and metallic (or electronic) near your gyrocompass as that could cause issues.

Calibrating your compass is easy to do in calm seas - you will be doing a BIG 360 turn so you need a bit of sea room for this.  You will also need to be able to steer in on a known bearing (like on a range) although in a pinch you can use your chart-potter’s GPS heading but that’s really a function of COG rather than boat heading.  Get the boat going about 2 knots in a straight line.  When ready, simply press and hold Standby for a second or so.  It should pop up “Adjust Compass”.   Now start a very slow turn taking 3 minutes to complete at least a full 360 degree rotation (so about 2˚/second).  When completed, your AP should show you how much deviation it corrected. (Anything less than about 15˚ is ok).  Now turn the boat onto your known bearing range making sure that the boat is not only on the bearing line but also that it is pointed directly down the line (I.e. not crabbing for current or the like) and then using the course change buttons adjust the displayed course until it agrees with your known bearing (remember to use the MAGNETIC bearing… not true when reading off the chart).  When you are happy with it, press standby for a second or so and you should be all set.

The ST-6000/7000 series of AP are great pilots and easy to configure properly.  It sounds like it is working hard to get to a course but you shouldn’t see anything like 5-10 minutes to establish a course from these as they should lock in within 1-2 cycles on either side of set heading within about 30 seconds at absolute worst case.

Brent

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

[...]