Volvo penta D3 110 I-D

Hans-Joerg Wildhagen

Hello, looking for some troubleshooting tips for my Volvo penta on my 55#13

After replacing the starter battery the engine doesn't start. May be my last try to start the engine with the old starter battery was damaging the pcu. I measure at pin B32 only 10.5 Volt. All the relays and fuses are ok.

In the engine room I find a box 12 and 24 Volt with Murphy Relais. I think this is for the two alternators.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Hans
SY Wasabi
Isla Bastimentos

Mark Erdos

Hans,

When you say it doesn’t start, can you be more specific. It doesn’t crank or it cranks and will not fire?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Hello, looking for some troubleshooting tips for my Volvo penta on my 55#13

After replacing the starter battery the engine doesn't start. May be my last try to start the engine with the old starter battery was damaging the pcu. I measure at pin B32 only 10.5 Volt. All the relays and fuses are ok.

In the engine room I find a box 12 and 24 Volt with Murphy Relais. I think this is for the two alternators.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Hans

SY Wasabi

Isla Bastimentos

Hans-Joerg Wildhagen

Hi Mark
Thanks for the response.
Hope you and your wife are well in Tahiti.
The engine doesn't crank.
I turn the key to position 1.
The leds flashing around and the ventilator starts.
When all LEDs are out I turn the key to position 3 and nothing is happen. The ventilator stopps too.
BR Hans

Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> schrieb am Mo., 5. Apr. 2021, 15:54:

[...]

I am not very familiar with Volvo but Yanmar have a fuse in the panel. Is the starter getting getting voltage when the key is turned to crank?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Hello, looking for some troubleshooting tips for my Volvo penta on my 55#13

After replacing the starter battery the engine doesn't start. May be my last try to start the engine with the old starter battery was damaging the pcu. I measure at pin B32 only 10.5 Volt. All the relays and fuses are ok.

In the engine room I find a box 12 and 24 Volt with Murphy Relais. I think this is for the two alternators.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Hans

SY Wasabi

Isla Bastimentos

The D-3 start cycle is commanded by the Volvo Computer. It is very likely that you need a Volvo mechanic with Volvo diagnostic software loaded on his laptop to plug into the computer.

You can get some D3 Fault Codes by following this (Snippet from a page from my Amel Book) and using this file from my Yacht School Amel Book Supplements:
Snippet from my book:

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 9:24 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill

Thank so much for your help. It was the emergency switch which was not closed. So no full power for the pcu. But still some power like 10,2 Volt from other components
Unbelievable
Nothing is in the wiring chart from Volvo penta
BR
Hans
SY Wasabi

CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> schrieb am Di., 6. Apr. 2021, 10:10:

[...]

Of course. That should have been my first suggestion.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021, 3:35 PM Hans-Joerg Wildhagen <carpediemsail@...> wrote:
[...]

Scott SV Tengah

I had the exact same problem on our 2900nm passage from Hawaii to Tahiti. Imagine being in the doldrums and being afraid your engine is going to die!

https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topic/77988991

The Volvo replacement switch is around 60 euros and since it's not sealed, will fail again. I plan to use a spade connector and stuff it with silicone grease. The emergency stop switch on my D3-110C is kind of in the path of the intake fan airflow. Not a great design.

I suggest all D3 owners check their emergency stop switch. Mine has been intermittent for 3 years.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69