Best Video projector for SMs

Brian Riggs

Edited

Hello Amel SM 2000 Owners,

Since I am only an Amel hopeful in the next few short years, I almost never post. I do however read everything you post.

While I am still bound to the land, I'm interested in purchasing a video projector that will work for both the house and the yacht. In the SM2000, there is a small storage area directly above the two drawers at the center of the dinette port side where the projector could me placed to aim at a retractable screen hung over the settee to starboard. I My questen are as follows:

1. What is the length, height and depth of the little storage area above the two drawers above and port of the dinette?
2. As owners, what are your thoughts about this? Have you found other solutions better than this plan? (I specifically don't want to mount a television to the bulkhead wall.)

I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Very respectfully,
Brian K. Riggs
Future Amel Owner

Jose Venegas

We installed an Epson proyector in that spot that my son gave us as a present
The image is excellent and fills a large screen hanging at the level of back rest of the couch
We connected the sound to a Bose system and it feels like a movie theater
If I was starting from scratch I would find a proyector that gave a smaller image but it was a present and it is great to watch movies

Robert Linley

Try a Mirroir projector. I use mine at home, on patio and on boat. Easy set up and will stream from PC, ipad or stick.

On Apr 7, 2021, at 8:05 AM, Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas@...> wrote:

We installed an Epson proyector in that spot that my son gave us as a present
The image is excellent and fills a large  screen hanging at the level of back rest of the couch
We connected the sound to a Bose system and it feels like a movie theater
If I was starting from scratch I would find a proyector  that gave a smaller image but it was a present and it is great to watch movies

karkauai

I am currently working on this project now.  Wilk post pics and description when I'm finished.
Kent
SM 243 Kristy
St Michaels, MD USA

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Scott SV Tengah

Brian,

Do you remember my setup when you came aboard? Can't recall the projector model right now, but I have it setup on port side on the shelf. I cut out the "fiddle" on the shelf to allow the projector to sit flat and then used the old metal bracket that previously held the DVD player to secure it.

On starboard, I have a 72" (1.82m) screen that is normally stored away and unroll it up UP and attach to a hook that I screwed into the underside of the roof.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYrnUrhO0E/?igshid=6pwfw1dw6h51

That was an earlier iteration before I attached a hook to the underside of the roof.

This is of course on a 54, but I'm guessing it would work on a SM.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Brian Riggs

Thank you to all who have replied so far!

Scott, I do remember your setup aboard Tengah, and that's what really started me thinking about purchasing something that would work for both. I thought this sounded fun from the first day I saw it.

Kent, I'm really interested in what your finished project looks like. If you're aboard KRISTY, would you be able to provide measurements of the opening including the depth?

Robert, I'll search into Miroir projectors.

Jose, good point about focal length of the lens. This was something I was planning to estimate with a throw of somewhere in the +/-10 to 11 feet range. The plan has been to incorporate audio into the house system. Audio is actually my strength. I'm no stranger to large venue concerts from an audio engineering perspective.

Very respectfully,
Brian K. Riggs
Future Amel Owner