5 piece stuffing box

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill, I had the same problem and did the same. After a tightening or two in time to come I will add the third.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 26 April 2021 at 10:23 Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

Also with the dual caveats that this might be confusing, and that this is a report of success, NOT advice...

Like many Amel owners, when it was finally time to repack our rudder I was very frustrated with the fit of the standard packing.  No matter how hard I worked it, with all the tricks that have been discussed here--and a few more--I could not get the packing compressed enough to get enough threads on the plastic nut engaged to properly torque it down.  Applying all the torque I could without stripping threads wasn't enough: It leaked in a seaway.

With another passage coming up quickly, and fresh out of ideas and time, I was getting desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Figuring that doing nothing wasn't an option, I tried the last thing I could think of:  I ripped out the top piece of packing, and tightened the nut down hard on the remaining two.  Success!  No leaks--not a drop--even in some pretty rough sailing.  Two well fit, tightly compressed rings of packing did a much better job of keeping the ocean on the outside of the boat than three lightly compressed rings.

I am not at all sure this is a satisfactory long term solution, but it got us where we needed to go and kept us dry. I have ONE more trick up my sleeve that I want to try on this.  I'll report back here if it works...

Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Hollywood, Florida, USA

Bill Kinney

Eric,

When all else fails.. GET A BIGGER HAMMER!

The only thing I missed was the Molycote! Surprising, considering how much I love and use that stuff.

I am going to try using Western Pacific Trading's dripless packing. I have always had great success with that in prop shaft applications. I expect that 2 rings of standard packing with about 8mm of dripless packing in between will be a pretty good, and nearly permanent, solution.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, Florida, USA

eric freedman

HI Bill.

I use a piece of PVC pipe probably 2 inch. I take a small sledge hammer and with molycote the inside walls of the stuffing box I pound each piece of packing one at a time  in place.

This works for me.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Double Face Sledge Hammer, 3 lb Head Weight, 1 3/4 in Head Width, 15 1/4 in Overall Length

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Bill Kinney
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2021 6:23 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] 5 piece stuffing box

Also with the dual caveats that this might be confusing, and that this is a report of success, NOT advice...

Like many Amel owners, when it was finally time to repack our rudder I was very frustrated with the fit of the standard packing.  No matter how hard I worked it, with all the tricks that have been discussed here--and a few more--I could not get the packing compressed enough to get enough threads on the plastic nut engaged to properly torque it down.  Applying all the torque I could without stripping threads wasn't enough: It leaked in a seaway.

With another passage coming up quickly, and fresh out of ideas and time, I was getting desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Figuring that doing nothing wasn't an option, I tried the last thing I could think of:  I ripped out the top piece of packing, and tightened the nut down hard on the remaining two.  Success!  No leaks--not a drop--even in some pretty rough sailing.  Two well fit, tightly compressed rings of packing did a much better job of keeping the ocean on the outside of the boat than three lightly compressed rings.

I am not at all sure this is a satisfactory long term solution, but it got us where we needed to go and kept us dry. I have ONE more trick up my sleeve that I want to try on this.  I'll report back here if it works...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, Florida, USA

Bill Kinney

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, Florida, USA

Giovanni TESTA

...perfect Mark ! I had some doubts, with your pics all clear ;-)) many thanks  Giovanni

Il Lun 19 Apr 2021, 20:31 Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> ha scritto:
Giovanni,

In the USA, this is a very common home plumbing pipe that can be found in pretty much every hardware store anywhere in the country.  You can also get it on online on Amazon and eBay and MRO sites like McMaster-Carr and Grainger.  Search for "2" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe".

Pics of Nominal 2" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe:

Then I remembered I have calipers.  Measurements might be off a bit as it's hard to hold a caliper in one hand a take a pic in the other:

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark McGovern

Giovanni,

In the USA, this is a very common home plumbing pipe that can be found in pretty much every hardware store anywhere in the country.  You can also get it on online on Amazon and eBay and MRO sites like McMaster-Carr and Grainger.  Search for "2" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe".

Pics of Nominal 2" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe:

Then I remembered I have calipers.  Measurements might be off a bit as it's hard to hold a caliper in one hand a take a pic in the other:

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Giovanni TESTA

Mark,
many thanks, may I have a pic ? I have some problems to find the same here...
For C-Drive is very important to have the right dimensions.
Giovanni Testa
sv EUTIKIA  SM 428

Il 19/04/2021 12:52, Mark McGovern ha scritto:
Giovanni,

I just repacked my rudder stuffing box and found that the same piece of PVC pipe that I use to seat the C-Drive seals works well to help seat the packing material in the stuffing box.  I also used a 1/4" (6mm) piece of hardwood to seat the packing.

In the USA a piece of nominal 2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe about 10 inches (~250mm)long works well.  The dimensions of 2" Schedule 40 PVC are as follows:

OD:  2.375 inch/60.3mm
ID:  2.047 inch/52mm
Wall Thickness: 0.154 inch/3.9mm
Length: 10 inch/250mm 

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark McGovern

Giovanni,

I just repacked my rudder stuffing box and found that the same piece of PVC pipe that I use to seat the C-Drive seals works well to help seat the packing material in the stuffing box.  I also used a 1/4" (6mm) piece of hardwood to seat the packing.

In the USA a piece of nominal 2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe about 10 inches (~250mm)long works well.  The dimensions of 2" Schedule 40 PVC are as follows:

OD:  2.375 inch/60.3mm
ID:  2.047 inch/52mm
Wall Thickness: 0.154 inch/3.9mm
Length: 10 inch/250mm 

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Giovanni TESTA

Perfect, Eric thanks!

Il dom 18 apr 2021, 18:09 eric freedman <kimberlite@...> ha scritto:

Hi Giovanni,

Sorry, I am not on Kimberlite now.

Please send me a note about May 16 and I will get you the dimensions.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Giovanni TESTA
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 5:19 AM

Hi Eric,
which is, please, the diameter, length and thickness of this PVC pipe.
Many thanks, Buon Vento
Giovanni Testa
SV EUTIKIA SM 428

Il 18/04/2021 01:10, eric freedman ha scritto:

I forgot to mention that I purchased a short piece of PVC pipe.

I use the same piece of pipe to tighten the packing when I change it, and also install the lip seals in the C drive.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of eric freedman
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2021 7:08 PM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] 5 piece stuffing box

I didn’t want to confuse the group, but I have had a 5-ring stuffing box for years.

The only modification that I made besides making the stuffing box taller is I made it wider. On my stuffing box there is an L shaped stainless-steel plate to hold the nut in place. While under way it is difficult to remove the two screws that hold the plate in place. By making the stuffing box in a wider diameter, and a longer L shaped plate I can easily remove the plate and tighten the nut a bit.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Thomas Kleman
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2021 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

I think when you have a problem with the stuffing box, it is less likely to be the nut than the box itself. The spares you need are the packing material and this: take a stuffing box nut, wrap the threads in teflon tape, immerse it up to the top of the threads in a resin/hardener mix in a circular mold with the nut hole sealed, and voila- you have a 20 mm stuffing box penthouse to attach to the top of your stripped old stuffing box. Holds 5 rings of material and can be installed in the water (just don't take that last ring out). Three screws and 5200 work well to attach; just let it set before pounding down the material.

eric freedman

Hi Giovanni,

Sorry, I am not on Kimberlite now.

Please send me a note about May 16 and I will get you the dimensions.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Giovanni TESTA
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 5:19 AM

Hi Eric,
Many thanks, Buon Vento
Giovanni Testa
SV EUTIKIA SM 428

I use the same piece of pipe to tighten the packing when I change it, and also install the lip seals in the C drive.

Fair Winds

Eric

I didn’t want to confuse the group, but I have had a 5-ring stuffing box for years.

The only modification that I made besides making the stuffing box taller is I made it wider. On my stuffing box there is an L shaped stainless-steel plate to hold the nut in place. While under way it is difficult to remove the two screws that hold the plate in place. By making the stuffing box in a wider diameter, and a longer L shaped plate I can easily remove the plate and tighten the nut a bit.

Fair Winds

Eric

I think when you have a problem with the stuffing box, it is less likely to be the nut than the box itself. The spares you need are the packing material and this: take a stuffing box nut, wrap the threads in teflon tape, immerse it up to the top of the threads in a resin/hardener mix in a circular mold with the nut hole sealed, and voila- you have a 20 mm stuffing box penthouse to attach to the top of your stripped old stuffing box. Holds 5 rings of material and can be installed in the water (just don't take that last ring out). Three screws and 5200 work well to attach; just let it set before pounding down the material.

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Eric,
Many thanks, Buon Vento
Giovanni Testa
SV EUTIKIA SM 428

Fair Winds

Eric

Fair Winds

Eric

eric freedman

Fair Winds

Eric

Fair Winds

Eric

eric freedman

Fair Winds

Eric