Passageway berth wall fabric cleaning advice

Paul Guenette

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on cleaning the fabric on the wall of the passage way berth.

I spent this past winter in the Pacific North West. While in Comox BC Canada I have been using a dehumidifier and also using the exhaust fan while using the propane stove to help reduce moisture in the boat.  Over the course of the last six months the fabric on the walls of the passageway berth has started to get a little discolored in some spots. Attached are a couple of photos.

I am wondering what products and methods of cleaning others have used on this fabric.

I appreciate your advice and feed back.

Thank you, Paul
Aramis  SM-2K  444
Comox, BC, Canada

Courtney Gorman

Start with Vinegar 50/50 mix with water soak well if that doesn’t work try Barkeepers Friend
Cheers

On Apr 25, 2021, at 6:14 PM, Paul Guenette via groups.io <paulguenette@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on cleaning the fabric on the wall of the passage way berth.

I spent this past winter in the Pacific North West. While in Comox BC Canada I have been using a dehumidifier and also using the exhaust fan while using the propane stove to help reduce moisture in the boat.  Over the course of the last six months the fabric on the walls of the passageway berth has started to get a little discolored in some spots. Attached are a couple of photos.

I am wondering what products and methods of cleaning others have used on this fabric.

I appreciate your advice and feed back.

Thank you, Paul
Aramis  SM-2K  444
Comox, BC, Canada
<Passage way berth 2 IMG_3625.jpg>
<Passage way berth wall 1 IMG_3626.jpg>

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Paul,

We have this problem as well.

Solved with a commercial product called Exit Mould.

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007

On 26/04/2021, at 10:14 AM, Paul Guenette via groups.io <paulguenette@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on cleaning the fabric on the wall of the passage way berth.

I spent this past winter in the Pacific North West. While in Comox BC Canada I have been using a dehumidifier and also using the exhaust fan while using the propane stove to help reduce moisture in the boat.  Over the course of the last six months the fabric on the walls of the passageway berth has started to get a little discolored in some spots. Attached are a couple of photos.

I am wondering what products and methods of cleaning others have used on this fabric.

I appreciate your advice and feed back.

Thank you, Paul
Aramis  SM-2K  444
Comox, BC, Canada
<Passage way berth 2 IMG_3625.jpg>
<Passage way berth wall 1 IMG_3626.jpg>

Mark Erdos

Hi Paul,

Using a spray bottle, I spray the fabric with a mild vinegar solution and use a scrub brush. Then, I shop-vac it dry. Repeat until clean. Afterward, rinse with plain water and shop-vac dry again. This method has removed almost all stains on Amel fabrics.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

I am looking for some advice on cleaning the fabric on the wall of the passage way berth.

I spent this past winter in the Pacific North West. While in Comox BC Canada I have been using a dehumidifier and also using the exhaust fan while using the propane stove to help reduce moisture in the boat.  Over the course of the last six months the fabric on the walls of the passageway berth has started to get a little discolored in some spots. Attached are a couple of photos.

I am wondering what products and methods of cleaning others have used on this fabric.

I appreciate your advice and feed back.

Thank you, Paul
Aramis  SM-2K  444
Comox, BC, Canada

John Clark

Hi Paul,
  a few years ago we sailed north and had same issue.  Cold weather makes a perfect incubator inside a warm boat.  For routine cleaning I too use a vinegar-alcohol solution but for tough mildew like this I recommend a product called X-14.  It has some kind of chlorine (not bleach) ingredient which wipes out the mildew.  Spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two, then wipe off.    I have used it on the vinyl fabric inside, leather and vinyl seats outside and on fiberglass with no trouble.  Other surfaces I cannot attest to.

Regards,  John Clark

Annie   SM #37
St Thomas, USVI

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 6:14 PM Paul Guenette via groups.io <paulguenette=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for some advice on cleaning the fabric on the wall of the passage way berth.

I spent this past winter in the Pacific North West. While in Comox BC Canada I have been using a dehumidifier and also using the exhaust fan while using the propane stove to help reduce moisture in the boat.  Over the course of the last six months the fabric on the walls of the passageway berth has started to get a little discolored in some spots. Attached are a couple of photos.

I am wondering what products and methods of cleaning others have used on this fabric.

I appreciate your advice and feed back.

Thank you, Paul
Aramis  SM-2K  444
Comox, BC, Canada

Paul Stascavage

Paul,

We spent much of this past winter in cold weather climates and that area was one of the first we noticed the mold stains.  We tried vinegar as well as many other products, but the only one that worked for us on that material, in a timely fashion, was Tilex (which contains a significant amount of bleach).  Spray it on with a good deal of ventilation and wait a few hours.  Dry the area with a fan to get rid of the bleach odors.  Repeat if necessary. That material is colorfast but the bleach will lighten the color a bit as it bleaches out old dirt and grime.  We had to treat the entire area to end up with a uniformly clean surface.

Something else that we found that works on fabric and carpet (but takes a good deal of time) is what piratical sailor (https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/fighting-mildew-mold-and-lichen) calls formula b:

2 tablespoons of baking soda
2 tablespoons of borax
1 tablespoon of trisodiumphosphate (TSP)

Mix in 1 quart of warm water with stirring.

What  worked for us on fabric and carpet is to spray the area with the formula b and let sit for a few days.  Come back with vinegar and a brush.  Repeat until the stains are completely gone, which could be 3 or 4 applications.

If you spent a good deal of time under those conditions, I suggest looking around the boat for other potentially impacted areas.

Cabinets, lockers, closets, under berths, etc. Any areas close to the hull is where there would have been excessive condensation and possibly a problem.

We just completed an extensive cleaning of the boat from stem to stern.  Feel free to email me (paul dot stascavage at icloud dot com) if you find your problem is more extensive than you thought and I will share what I have learned.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Exploring Brunswick, GA

www.RitaKathryn.com

Paul Guenette

Thank you for the advice and tips on cleaning the fabric.

I started first with a 50/50 mix of vinegar applying with a spray bottle. Using a soft brush, I worked it in to the fabric. I then let it set for a couple hours and then used a shop vac to remove a lot of the moisture. I waited till the fabric was totally dry and then I repeated this process.  After  three applications it now looks much better.

I am really grateful for  all the tips and ideas.

Much appreciated, Paul

Aramis
SM 444
Comox, BC, Canada