Furuno GP 150 - no Lat/Lon to VHF

Wolfgang Weber

Dean,
thank you for the diagram. As I see the GP 150 has no longer a connection, the new GPS is wired to the junction box and gives data to all instruments etc.
I hope I  can manage to do this. I  ordered the  Tri Nav  GPS, because I  would like the  system is working on 3  satellite systems and should give a good accuracy of the position of the boat and the important thing is I hopefully will have it in 3 days - not in june from china.
Thank you for the help - perhaps I will need more, when  doing/starting the repair.
You all stay healthy - Wolfgang SY ELISE Amel 54 #162 Fort Lauderdale /Playboy Marina  ( who named this Marina ????)

Dean Gillies

and this is the diagram of my system showing how it is wired ...

https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files/FURUNO%20Electronics/Stella%20Instrumentation%20Diagram%20April%202019%201.0.pdf

Dean Gillies

Hi Wolfgang,
The digital yacht product you mention will do the job, but it does other functions too, which you may or may not want. It is rather expensive if you simply want a GPS device to produce NMEA1083 data and nothing more.

If you type "GPS Antenna 0183" unto the US Ebay site you will find them starting at $30-40 each. They look like the picture below.
There are lots available from China. I struggle with finding local (US) sources on the US EBAY website, maybe because I'm in Australia.
These are old technology devices, and should be very cheap to buy. Buy two. I paid $75AUD for two in 2019.
You only need to provide 12V power to it and connect the data output wire to your radios etc in place of the original broken output data wire from your GP150.
Good luck
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Wolfgang Weber

Thank you all, phantastic , I have hope to get it fixed. I dont want to have technicians on board who start a  De-,Amel-isation !
I add the information from Stephane G / Pochon La Rochelle.
I think the best and easiest way is to add an extra GPS NEMA 0183 .
I found  online  TriNav GPS 160 NEMA 0183 - good choice ?
Perhaps Dean and Arno may send more informations ?
Thank you very much
Wolfgang SY ELISE Amel 54 #162 Playboy Marina /Fort Lauderdale

Wolfgang,

I agree with Dean: "Buy a GPS antenna with NMEA outputs and mount it behind the chart table panel. Use this to feed the radios directly. I did this when Furuno told me they could not fix my GP150 output drivers."
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 12:05 AM Dean Gillies <stella@...> wrote:
Wolfgang,
I had exactly the same problem. The output drivers of the GP150 failed, but otherwise the unit seems to work ok, and displays the correct latlon on the screen. As Stephane says, the Furuno system switches automatically to use the latlon provided by AIS on the network, BUT this does not go to the other peripherals like the radios which are fed by the GP150 NMEA outputs directly.
Furuno cannot repair the GP150, and will offer you the newer model - which does not fit in the cutout!
Other options are
1. Configure the Furuno MFD at the chart table to output latlon data on one of its unused data outputs, and wire this to the radios. I did this on Stella as a first step while I waited for Furuno to repair the GP150.
2. Buy a GPS antenna with NMEA outputs and mount it behind the chart table panel. Use this to feed the radios directly. I did this when Furuno told me they could not fix my GP150 output drivers. This gives better redundancy than 1.

Let me know if you have further questions and I can dig out my notes and assist further.

Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Dean Gillies

[...]

Sent from my iPhone X

Arno Luijten

Hi Thomas,

That is funny, that box used to reside behind the right fauteuil on our boat before I replaced most of the nav stuff.

Arno

Sv Garulfo

Wolfgang,

If your A54 is anything like ours, there is a junction box behind the navnet3D screen at the chart table that distributes the NMEA from the GP-150 to the VHF&SSB. If neither are showing lat/lon, it could be a bad connection in that junction box or at the GPS output (data 1, for me). Or it could be the GP-150 that’s not longer broadcasting NMEA on that output.

Do you see lat/lon on your hydra? If yes, the GP-150 still outputs NMEA to the data3 port (again, according to the setup on Garulfo).

In fact, for us, the navnet3D shows lat/lon thanks to data2 output from the GP-150.

So i think you could just have a bad connection at data1 of the gp-150, or at the junction box that distributes that output to the vhf/SSB.

It doesn’t explain why the radar overlay does not work though. It sounds like something different.
It does not explain the speed issue on autopilot. Do you see SOG in hydra and navnet3D ? Do you see STW in hydra / navnet3D ?

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Huahine, French Polynesia

On 1 May 2021, at 14:23, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Wolfgang,

I assume that you do not have GPS SOG but probably have SOW (Boat Speed as reported through the B&G Hydra.

It sounds like the likely cause is the Furuno GP-150 which is no longer made. I did a quick search for a used one and did not find one. I think the best thing for you to do is get a Furuno technician onboard. I do not have a recommendation, but with a search on Google and on Furuno Dealer Search (https://www.furunousa.com/en/company/find_a_dealer) I see there are many.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 6:47 PM Wolfgang Weber <weberamel54@...> wrote:
Hello to the group,
2. problem : Starting my Nav-electronics :  Furuno GP 150 ( no failure),  Autopilot   ( later - no speed data), Navnet 3 D ( shows Lat/Lon and  plotter working; Radar ? overlay not working), VHF and SSB ( no Lat/Lon).
Stephane G. from Pochon /La Rochell was very helpful and send a wiring schema and  his suggestion was that GP 150 NEMA output of GPS (LAT/Lon) did not work and that Navnet 3 D received Lat/lon from  FA-50 AIS.
Question : Hardwarefailure ? change GP-150 ?
Any recommendation for  electronic/Furuno in Fort Lauderdale ?
Thankyou very much!
Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162

Arno Luijten

Hi Wolfgang,

You are correct to assume the GP150 has no connection to the Navnet 3D system. I just made a major update to my system and this is how I know.
The GP 150 only feeds the VHF and in your case the SSB. I have heard of cases where the output driver of the NEMA0183 output failed. As Bill said the GP 150 is no longer available and if it were, it is very expensive as it is a SOLAS certified GPS.
However there is some good news as the GP150 has three outputs for GPS data and at least one of them is still unused in the default Amel installation. You may be able to use this output as alternative. I know this because I used that output to feed the EPIRB I have on the boat (Some fancy ACR thing).
You may need to alter the config of the GP150 to get the output to work in the way required.

For your information I also made a connection between the fast-heading output of the NavPilot 500 to the input NMEA input of the B&G H3000 CPU. On my boat Amel forgot to do that so the H3000 CPU had no way to calculate the ground wind (wind direction relative to the north). This enable you to plot a graph on the H3000 graphic display to see the wind direction changes over time.

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121