VHF antennae replacement

Thomas Peacock

Hi Kris,

There was a nice thread on this earlier this year which outlined what you need. We used a Shakespeare 5215 36 inch antenna. Available from most larger on-line chandleries, as well as (no surprise) Amazon.

We elected to run the RG-8X non-stop from the bottom of the antenna all the way to the VHF unit, not creating a connection at the base of the mast. If we ever pull the mast, we would just cut the VHF connector off and pull those 12 feet or so of cable inside the salon with the mast, then put another connector on when the mast goes back up. The only weak point then is the connection to the antenna, which requires a lot of love to make weather proof for many years. We took a butane food torch to the top of the mast to heat shrink the connection.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On May 2, 2021, at 5:35 PM, Kiana <skisail07@...> wrote:

We are looking to replace our vhf antennae atop the mast of our 2002 SM 2000.  Does anyone once have a good source in the US? Does anyone know the make and model?

kind Regards
kris
s/v Kiana
hull #362