Isolation of hull inside Amel54 or AmelSM - and hatches etc.

Ian Park

Electric blanket is AC powered working off the inverter.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96

Nicolas Klene

Hello Ian
I like the idea of an electric blanquet , is yours AC or DC ?
Nick
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

Peter Forbes

Good morning Carina,

Long time since we net in St Lucia!

Were the two webasto heaters installed when you bought your 54 or did you fit them? Can you send me a photograph of what they look like?

I would love to retrofit eberspacher or webasto but am afraid of the cost.

Best wishes

Peter

Peter Forbes
Carango Amel 54 #035
La Rochelle
00447836 209730

On 5 May 2021, at 04:35, CARINA HAMMARLUND <syultimo@...> wrote:

Hi Alexander,
We just lived our second winter on the boat in Sweden, without any major problems. We have two webasto heaters, one just for the after cabin and one for the rest of the boat. We do experienced some condensation but we open up the floor hatches now and then when we leave the boat for a couple of hours to let the air flow.

we also pulled out the madras a couple of centimeters in the guest cabin so it’s not tight to the hull.

A dehumidifier is a great help to keep the condensation in control.
this winter we experienced -22 C for about ten days without feeling cold inside, the heaters really makes it cozy.

in summer this is not a problem at all...

welcome up north!
--
Carina
SV Ultimo

CARINA HAMMARLUND

[...]

Alexander,
We've cruised the Mediterranean, Caribbean and the Baltic and Scotland in our Santorin. We live in North Wales where we keep the boat at present.
The Eberspacher keeps the boat warm enough and the aft cabin is no colder than anywhere else. Amels are particularly well insulated on the deck and keep the heat in well. Condensation is an issue from hatches and anywhere on the sides of the hull. We have insulated our wardrobes to stop clothes getting damp and mouldy.
A dehumidifier is the best friend in keeping the boat dry.
We find the aft cabin pretty cosy. But in cold climates get an electric blanket for all the bunks. They use very few amps and are a real boon.

Ian
'Ocean Hobo' SN 96

Hi Alexander,

 We spent three seasons in Chile, including two based in the Beagle channel. We didn't find problems with the cold or condensation. What proved useful were:

  1. The curtain in the cockpit
  2. A good pair of warm slippers
  3. Hot water bottles for your bed  ( the whole of our aft cabin is a large bed which Amel built for us when the boat was new ). Good duvets.
  4. Heating--we have an Eberspacher ( wonderful), reverse aircon ( no great heat but very useful for ventilating the boat ) plus two domestic fan heaters, 2 and 3 kw. With all three systems  going you have 10,000 Btu----too much after about 10 minutes, but great for instant warmth
  5. We did add bubblewrap to the inside of the hatch in the main saloon
  Beyond that, wrap up warm !

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece