Security Alarm system)Anxhor Alarm

Billy Newport

I looked at a GOST system last year for my old boat but at 14k installed, I stopped looking. I just self installed a Ring security alarm on my Amel 55. A spotlight battery wifi camera in the cockpit looking AFT, a contact sensor on the rear lazerrete and cockpit door and then PIR motion sensors in fwd cabin, main cabin and captain berth (easier than hatch contact switches). It's a pretty clean install, all wireless, sirens are inside on the base unit and the spotlight camera. I mean, it works and works offline but for video snapshots you'd need an LTE hotspot type thing which is what I do. For 500 bucks, not bad.

Mark Erdos

Hi Kent and Iris,

If in an iffy anchorage, I use a simple motion sensor and alarm. These are often marketed as gate or driveway alarms. They are battery operated, inexpensive and effective. We have only felt the need to use it a few times (Caribbean Islands). I temporarily place the motion sensor near the companionway in the cockpit and the alarm is in the aft cabin. When not used it is stored without the batteries in it. This allows us to sleep soundly at night.

If I remember correctly, I purchased this from Harbor Freight in the USA for US$15.00

We also have an motion sensor light under the arch. This is not really for security but more so for when we arrive back at the boat (on anchor) after dark and forget to leave a light on. I guess it may work as a deterrent.

In re to products such as the GOST, I really do not see any value since in order to monitor the vessel when away, both the boat and the person need internet connectivity. Since we use our phone most of the time for internet, if the phone is with us, the boat has no internet. Internet connectivity is an ongoing challenge in remote areas.

For an anchor watch we use the watch function built into our Nobel Tech Time Zero software on the ship’s computer. This can be activated with one click. Also, very easy to adjust the swing circle. This works without the need to run the monitor (power hog). The computer draws minimal amps and the speakers are very loud. This is always on if we are on a mooring or the hook.

We  have also used a free anchor watch app called DragQueen. Very easy to use and set up. It requires the tablet to be plugged into a USB port all night and uses the GPS in the tablet rather than the ship’s GPS.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us