Security Alarm system)Anxhor Alarm

Billy Newport

I looked at a GOST system last year for my old boat but at 14k installed, I stopped looking. I just self installed a Ring security alarm on my Amel 55. A spotlight battery wifi camera in the cockpit looking AFT, a contact sensor on the rear lazerrete and cockpit door and then PIR motion sensors in fwd cabin, main cabin and captain berth (easier than hatch contact switches). It's a pretty clean install, all wireless, sirens are inside on the base unit and the spotlight camera. I mean, it works and works offline but for video snapshots you'd need an LTE hotspot type thing which is what I do. For 500 bucks, not bad.

Mark Erdos

Hi Kent and Iris,

If in an iffy anchorage, I use a simple motion sensor and alarm. These are often marketed as gate or driveway alarms. They are battery operated, inexpensive and effective. We have only felt the need to use it a few times (Caribbean Islands). I temporarily place the motion sensor near the companionway in the cockpit and the alarm is in the aft cabin. When not used it is stored without the batteries in it. This allows us to sleep soundly at night.

If I remember correctly, I purchased this from Harbor Freight in the USA for US$15.00

We also have an motion sensor light under the arch. This is not really for security but more so for when we arrive back at the boat (on anchor) after dark and forget to leave a light on. I guess it may work as a deterrent.

In re to products such as the GOST, I really do not see any value since in order to monitor the vessel when away, both the boat and the person need internet connectivity. Since we use our phone most of the time for internet, if the phone is with us, the boat has no internet. Internet connectivity is an ongoing challenge in remote areas.

For an anchor watch we use the watch function built into our Nobel Tech Time Zero software on the ship’s computer. This can be activated with one click. Also, very easy to adjust the swing circle. This works without the need to run the monitor (power hog). The computer draws minimal amps and the speakers are very loud. This is always on if we are on a mooring or the hook.

We  have also used a free anchor watch app called DragQueen. Very easy to use and set up. It requires the tablet to be plugged into a USB port all night and uses the GPS in the tablet rather than the ship’s GPS.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of karkauai via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 10:06 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Security Alarm system)Anxhor Alarm

Hi everyone, I hope this finds everyone happy and safe...and sailing!

I want to install an alarm sysrem, and wondered if anyone has installed a GOST sysrem?  I found the system that Bill R used and recommends, but was looking at all options.

If anyone has a GOST system, I'd be interested in your experience.  Any other systems anyone uses?

Also, what anchor alarms are you using?  Our B&G Zeus doesn't allow us to mark the anchor position without going through a lot of mental gymnastics, Alarm zones only sound when you enter the zone.   Others we've tried as cell phone apps aren't much better.  Some security systems have the ability to track the vessel if it is stolen, and that got me wondering if it could also be used as anchor alarm.  My old "The Capn" nav program allowed me to draw an alarm zone based on length of rode, which could be set to alarm when you left the zone.  It was really easy, but haven't found anything like that since.

Thanks for any thoughts and/or help.

Be safe

Have Fun

Sail Fast
--
Kent & Iris

KRISTY

SM243

I agree. We used the same app.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Thu, May 27, 2021, 8:41 AM Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I use an iPhone app called Anchor Alarm.  It shows the boat on Google or Satellite map and permits me to draw a zone within which the boat can move without the alarm sounding.  It works great.  I believe it costs a few bucks.  Check it out!   

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem # 53
Vigo, Spain

Joerg Esdorn

I use an iPhone app called Anchor Alarm.  It shows the boat on Google or Satellite map and permits me to draw a zone within which the boat can move without the alarm sounding.  It works great.  I believe it costs a few bucks.  Check it out!   

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem # 53
Vigo, Spain

Patrick McAneny

Eloi, I have often thought I would like to add a louder alarm,I appreciate the info.
Thanks Much,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, May 26, 2021 5:12 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Security Alarm system)Anxhor Alarm

Hi Patrick,
Glad you managed to finish your repairs. 
On the Zeus 3s plotter you have an alarm output on the power cable, it is the blue wire, max 1 A for a buzzer or with a relay you can switch what you want. 
regards,
Eloi
SM2K 426 RedLion

Eloi Bamberg

Hi Patrick,
Glad you managed to finish your repairs. 
On the Zeus 3s plotter you have an alarm output on the power cable, it is the blue wire, max 1 A for a buzzer or with a relay you can switch what you want. 
regards,
Eloi
SM2K 426 RedLion

Patrick McAneny

I had not thought about this before this post ,we set an anchor alarm with our AIS when conditions warrant it  . It just occurred to me ,had I set the radar alarm when three rental catamarans  anchored 100 yards upwind of me ,it may have woken me before the 47 ft. one drug down on me two yrs. ago at 4 am.. I am now finally getting my repairs finished next week. I lost 11/2 yrs. of use and hundreds of hrs. of work and aggravation ,because Dream Yacht Charters rents boats to anyone with a credit card. To date they have refused to reimburse my ins. co. Panteanius or me my deductible ,even with a signed document by the other guy excepting full responsibility. I will in the future have my radar on if there is a rental cat anywhere around.
Is there anyway to amplify an alarm on a B&G plotter?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans 

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, May 26, 2021 2:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Security Alarm system)Anxhor Alarm

Hi Kent, Vesper Watch mate
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 27 May 2021 at 06:07 "karkauai via groups.io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

That's interesting, Danny.  What brand?  My AIS  is incorporated into my B&G Zeus.

Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent, Vesper Watch mate

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 27 May 2021 at 06:07 "karkauai via groups.io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

That's interesting, Danny.  What brand?  My AIS  is incorporated into my B&G Zeus.

Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

karkauai

Thank you Mohammad, I'll check it out.
Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

karkauai

Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Bernd Spanner

I use my iPhone and or ipad. Apps available and never failed. They make me sleep well in 30 knots on the hook.
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

karkauai

Thanks Paul.  I'll take a look at it.
Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Paul Osterberg

We use the anchor alarm in Open Cpn, we find it very user-friendly and bullet proof
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Kent;

We have selected the yacht-sentinel. An outfit out of the UK. It has all the functionality you are looking for and more. It is wireless, so it installs very quickly. It has a lot of sensor options. It comes with an installed SIM card with cell access on most cellular providers. So notifications can be sent from anywhere that cell service exists. For areas that do not have cell service, they have a satellite communication option for an added cost. 

We purchased ours in 2019 but had not been on hoard until a week ago. I have not had any time with the system. So cannot give you any feedback.

I looked at quite a few different systems but found this one the best fit for our needs.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 10:06:20 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Security Alarm system)Anxhor Alarm

I want to install an alarm sysrem, and wondered if anyone has installed a GOST sysrem?  I found the system that Bill R used and recommends, but was looking at all options.

If anyone has a GOST system, I'd be interested in your experience.  Any other systems anyone uses?

Also, what anchor alarms are you using?  Our B&G Zeus doesn't allow us to mark the anchor position without going through a lot of mental gymnastics, Alarm zones only sound when you enter the zone.   Others we've tried as cell phone apps aren't much better.  Some security systems have the ability to track the vessel if it is stolen, and that got me wondering if it could also be used as anchor alarm.  My old "The Capn" nav program allowed me to draw an alarm zone based on length of rode, which could be set to alarm when you left the zone.  It was really easy, but haven't found anything like that since.

Be safe
Have Fun
Sail Fast
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent. Our AIS has a super anchor alarm system. Easy to use. Hit the button when you drop anchor. Done. Easy to adjust zone.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 26 May 2021 at 08:06 "karkauai via groups.io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Be safe
Have Fun
Sail Fast
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

karkauai

Be safe
Have Fun
Sail Fast
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243