Primary Rawater Manafold

Alan Leslie

That's not quite true.....BSP 1 1/2 is 11 TPI and NPT 1 1/2 is 11.5 TPI,
NPT is a tapered thread, BSP comes in parallel BSPP and tapered BSPT.
NPS is the parallel version of NPT.
You can force an NPT into a BSPP at this size but, as Bill says, it will leak under pressure.
This situation is not under positive pressure, so you could probably get away with the bodgy fix of NPT into BSP + sealant....lots.
But it would be better to use a BSP fitting.... of course.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

That Vetus sea chest comes in 3 sizes. Maybe Amel used different sizes at different times and models. Maybe not.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 5:05 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
The outlet of our sea strainer is 1 1/2 inch BSP.

In this size, BSP and  the US Standard NPT have identical thread pitch and depth, but different thread shapes.  You can screw either one into the other with full mechanical strength, but they will not seal reliably leak tight using only TFE tape.  For low pressure applications (like the sea strainer) use of a good pipe sealant paste will give a permanent leak tight seal.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hampton Roads, VA

Bill Kinney

The outlet of our sea strainer is 1 1/2 inch BSP.

In this size, BSP and  the US Standard NPT have identical thread pitch and depth, but different thread shapes.  You can screw either one into the other with full mechanical strength, but they will not seal reliably leak tight using only TFE tape.  For low pressure applications (like the sea strainer) use of a good pipe sealant paste will give a permanent leak tight seal.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hampton Roads, VA

It screws into an Amel-made elbow on an Amel-modified Vetus sea chest. I am not sure, but the threads on the non-modified Vetus sea chest without the Amel-made elbow are 2" BPT

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 9:40 AM Chris Doucette <amaroksailing@...> wrote:
Does anyone know what the thread size is on this for a late model SM2K (Circled Red) ?

Chris
Amarok, SM385

Chris Doucette

Bumping this to see if anyone know those thread sizes?

Chris Doucette