Removing mold/mildew from helm seat

JB Duler

Scott,

Use "Vinaigre Blanc" bottles you buy at Carrefour, just $2 a bottle. Use it for vinyl, inside lockers. Cheap and does the job.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

I recommend Microban, but do not know if you can get it there. As you know the Houston Galveston area has had its share of floods. Everyone I know used Microban on everything that got wet, including the 2x4 studs in houses...nobody had mold. Several of my clients have used Microban on all sorts of modl problems with success.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 2:15 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Hi all,

We just returned to Tengah after our longest period away: 4 months.

We had some mold on the helm seat and was wondering if anyone has ideas on how to remove it. I have seen recs to use diluted vinegar or even straight rubbing alcohol or diluted bleach. Any thoughts or experiences? See photo attached.

Overall, the boat is in great shape. We flushed the entire seawater circuit with fresh water. The Volvo engine started right up and my strategy to have the 220V electric dehumidifier run between 70-100% SOC (controlled by Victron BMV-712 and Quattro assistants) worked perfectly and kept the lithium batteries from sitting at the damaging 100% SOC level and also kept the boat completely dry inside despite being at the wettest location in Tahiti. I can expand on this if others have a Victron based system and want to implement something similar when they leave the boat.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Scott;

Anything with bleach will be effective on mildew/mold. I would star with regular house bleach diluted at a ratio of 10 to 1 and work your way until it is effective. I would try it in an inconspicuous place on the seat first, to be sure it does not negatively affect the fabric.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099