Mounting a life raft on the SM railing

Jose Venegas

Thank you Eric, I currently have a Viking 6-persons (to be politically correct) raft and have carried it on the same locker as you with the ditch bag for 10 years.  However, It and I are both becoming old,  So, before heading to the pacific I am replacing it with the same size Viking but on the plastic box which is suitable for rail mounting and easier to deploy in an emergency.  I hope that moving it to the starboard rail should also improve quite a bit Ipanema's list to port.
Best times,
Jose 
Ipanema SM 278 

Eric Freedman

I wanted to do that on Kimberlite years ago and the manufacturer said it was not suitable for rail mount.

They said that my raft a Switlik was not suitable for that configuration. I would check with the manufacturer to see if it works in that configuration. I now have a Winslow. I keep it in the port cockpit  locker next to my Jordan drogue. They offer 6 different case shapes for this raft.  It is a 6-man raft and must be repacked every 3 years. I especially like it as it has closeable pockets inside for my bail out bag gear.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Jarek Zemlo via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2021 6:01 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mounting a life raft on the SM railing

Jose Hi,
attached some pictures of my raft. I did the change last year and welded in the rail port side. My raft is Viking ISO pack (6 persons fully equipped for long ocean passage).
Sailed so far 2.000 miles and no problems.

Jarek
SY NOA BLUE
SM 201

Jarek Zemlo

Jose Hi,
attached some pictures of my raft. I did the change last year and welded in the rail port side. My raft is Viking ISO pack (6 persons fully equipped for long ocean passage).
Sailed so far 2.000 miles and no problems.

Jarek
SY NOA BLUE
SM 201

Alain Blanchard <akdf85@...>

Jose

This is How IT is fitted on Koriolys 
Regards / Alain

SM 146/Koriolys 
Gruissan /France

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 10 juin 2021 à 03:44, Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas@...> a écrit :

I am replacing my life raft with one that can be kept on the railing for easy deployment.  My current one is a balize that I am not sure I will be able to deploy in time.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas/photos/drawings and experience of SM that have installed their life raft in the reailing.

I have been debating about finding a location for easy deployment, not adding to the port listing (exaggerated by the newly installed lithium batteries or tilting more the stern and certainly not reduce front visibility.

Thank you

Jose 
Ipanema SM 2K 278
Currently in Cartagena de Indias 

VICTOR MOLERO

This is my solution, Jose.
I'm happy with it.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

Jose Venegas

I am replacing my life raft with one that can be kept on the railing for easy deployment.  My current one is a balize that I am not sure I will be able to deploy in time.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas/photos/drawings and experience of SM that have installed their life raft in the reailing.

I have been debating about finding a location for easy deployment, not adding to the port listing (exaggerated by the newly installed lithium batteries or tilting more the stern and certainly not reduce front visibility.

Thank you

Jose 
Ipanema SM 2K 278
Currently in Cartagena de Indias