Volvo D3-110 Sensor - Spare Sensor Sets

Arno Luijten

Edited

Dear Forum,

Following the good work from WASABI I did some further digging into this sensor matter.

The isolated oil sensor is no longer supplied by Volvo Penta. However it is a standard sensor for Volvo Trucks and can be ordered via any Volvo Truck service center.
Volvo Penta and Volvo Trucks are very much different in their logistic channel even though they co-operate to some level at the top.

The list that WASABI received via GWEN is not completely correct, I'm guessing because of translation problems.

This is the the list I have compiled so far (for the VP D3-110iC):

31331765 TDC Sensor (On flywheel)
8653103 Coolant sensor
8658726 Sensor on top of engine. (Camshaft sensor)
3884352 Fuel pressure sender
30731748 Solenoid on fuel pump (Magnetically controlled proportional valve)
873959 Emergency stop knob (According to Scott from Tengah this button ages badly)

And then of course the oil pressure switch
8151889 Isolated oil pressure sensor (Supplied via Volvo Trucks)
Alternatively you can also buy it from ALIEXPRESS at much lower cost: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001495291029.html

And the Turbo Boost sensor that can be bought much cheaper as the original Bosch part. See for example here
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/land-rover-manifold-absolute-pressure-sensor-0261230295

The list from WASABI also contains an over-pressure valve for the fuel rail but that is a purely mechanical safety device not likely to fail.

I also have enclosed a drawing of the actual oil pressure switch that I received from my VP dealer in the Netherlands

I hope this will be of some benefit to other owners

regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Dear Amelians with VP D3-110 C engines,

As disused few weeks ago, I made some research about the D3-110 sensors and asked SAV. AMEL re-directed me to GWEN Marine which is the Volvo supplier in France who delivers the Engines and Spare parts to AMEL.

GWEN Marine gave me a list (quote) and advice of the correct electronical parts/sensors. Attached you will find the quote of those VP parts for the D3-110 C Series. Unfortunately, in French because they don’t speak English. In the list are the most important parts who can potentially fail, but not necessary do fail !

There are only two components which are specific to our boats:

  • One is the Oil Pressure Sensor which is Bipolar – Nr. 863160 (old),
    • The new Part Nr is: 8151889

  • Another is the Mass-Relay – Nr. 860877-0 (old), the new Nr is: 872242
    • The Mass Relay is located close to the Alternator below the Oil-filter housing.

The others are standard Volvo Engine parts, and do not need extra wire (due to isolated grounding).

According to Gwenael RAMBAUT from GWEN MARINE, all Sensors can be changed by the owner without special tool, but technical competence and basic understanding needed.  BTW:  There are sensors which need a EVC computer fault reset or calibration for proper work after replacement.

GWEN said; “None of the offered sensor replacement needs a reset or calibration of the EVC computer”. BUT: I’m not 100% sure if this is correct?

P.S.

You don’t need not order all parts from a Volvo Penta dealer because you probably find some elsewhere for a fraction of the Volvo Pricing as many of you discovered. Some are original BOSCH sensors and can be found in Internet as Scott & Ulrich mentioned recently. Be careful, there are lots of similar part numbers around. But at least you do have the correct original VP Parts numbers now! If you want to be sure, go to a Volvo Dealers which will be happy to get the high margin 😉

Best regards and fair winds

Ruedi Waldispuehl

WASABI A54. #55 / currently in Valencia

E-MAIL: mail@...

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...>
Datum: Dienstag, 15. Juni 2021 um 10:20
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D3-110 Sensor - Spare Sensor Sets

Thank you Bill,

I will ask Volvo France and try to get an answer; - will let you know.

Best, Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Montag, 14. Juni 2021 um 18:18
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Ruedi,

The best advice I can give you to get a list is to contact Volvo France for that list with your model and serial number. You have model C and I believe the latest model is at least H.

Volvo France is the ones who modified at least some, maybe all of the D3s for isolated ground. There might be a different sensor between some models. I am not sure of that.

The sensor that seems to be the most common sensor to fail and cause problems is the boost sensor followed by the oil pressure sensor, but this is not an analytical answer.

If/when you get an answer, please let me know, and if possible, ask which models of the D3, in addition to the C, the list will apply to.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 11:03 AM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Try Bosch automotive sensors they worked for me and were very inexpensive

On Jun 14, 2021, at 10:36 AM, Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

Dear Amelia’s

Because our Volvo D3-110 is running with some sensors, I try to find out which of those are most important and vital to have as spare. I do have the D3-110 C and I’m quite happy with it, but I feel better to have those sensors who could fail as spare.

Does anyone have a list and a source of those vital sensors?

Can anybody let us know which of those you have spare and where you ordered them?

@Bill Rose: Do I need to have all these sensors with isolated ground? Not sure about these?

I found some with 3 Pins, four pins and also 2 pins. The “m prop valve” Sensor has only 2 pins and therefore most likely not with isolated ground?? Correct?

Hope to get some feedback about the mystery - sensors ;-)
Happy Sailing

Ruedi Waldispuehl
WASABI AML54-#55
Currently in Cartagena (ES)

Scott SV Tengah

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 07:39 AM, Courtney Gorman wrote:
31355463
I can confirm that this is the correct Bosch part number. It's in a plastic housing so by definition it's isolated ground.

I paid $20 each and got a few. We've run it for a few months with zero issues.

Volvo buys their sensors from Bosch, puts in a Penta box and charges you 5x. Maybe that's the cost of the green paint? :)

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Ulrich

Thanks for your input. I’m try hard to find right contacts at VOLVO France but either no response or wrong question? So far I’m not happy with the feedback from Volvo.

I try with AMEL and GWEN Marine directly to find out more or getting the right path to that information.

BTW: it came to my mind that I owe you the Xantrex Parameter setting on my Boat. I will answer directly on your treat asap.

Best regards

Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...>
Datum: Dienstag, 15. Juni 2021 um 11:18
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hi Ruedi,

Dear Amelians with VP D3-110 C.. engines,

You have hit my nerve, your thought to have an assortment of the most important sensors with such a "modern" computerized engine, I had quite a while. We had an engine problem years ago in Greece where the local mechanics (not Volvo people, they were far away) did not get along. First they disassembled and cleaned the turbo, then checked the electronics with voltmeters...it was a nightmare. Last was tipped on the boost pressure sensor, which was oily and defective. But then had to be ordered in Sweden, because the Greek Volvo importer had none in stock. The sensor has cost double (about 280 €) and was mounted in half an hour. The whole hassle was for us then 3 weeks houseboat vacation. No engine, Not good. But the engine is now running fine.

Some time ago (our common concern about this issue) I then bought at a BOSCH car Service the appropriate BoostPressure sensor, suitable for the Volvo 5-cylinder engine. we checked all varieties.

Original BOSCH number 0 261 230 295. four-plug connection, 1 screw hole for mounting. Cost 48(!) Euro.

There was once a discussion in the forum about the matching sensor, I will soon take the new one to the ship and compare it with the defective one (I have kept). If it fits: Great. if not, he will be exchanged.

Hope that helps you further. If you get a parts list for the sensors through Volvo France, let me know. Maybe we can make a collective order for the other friends with this engine, we have synergies and can save a lot of money.(Like the passed order with UltraMarine Anchors, safe more than 1000€....)

Best regards, stay healthy and fair winds!

Ulrich Michael

„Soleil Bleu“ A54#088 (with D3-110C engine)

<>

Am 15.06.2021 um 10:23 schrieb Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...>:

Hi Courtney

Thanks you. Which of the Bosch sensors did you used?

Do you have a D3-110 C ?

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von "Courtney Gorman via groups.io" <Itsfun1@...>
Antworten an: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Datum: Montag, 14. Juni 2021 um 17:03
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

[...]

Courtney Gorman

yes D3-110

Volvo BOSCH Turbocharger Boost Pressure Sensor - in Intercooler 31355463

18$ each shipping was the same amount
Cheers

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von "Courtney Gorman via groups.io" <Itsfun1@...>
Datum: Montag, 14. Juni 2021 um 17:03
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

[...]

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Ruedi,

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von "Courtney Gorman via groups.io" <Itsfun1@...>
Datum: Montag, 14. Juni 2021 um 17:03
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

[...]

I will ask Volvo Franc and try to get an answer; - will let you know.

Best, Ruedi