From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Billy Newport <billy@...>
Sent: 16 July 2021 21:30
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mold between cushion and chest freezer on 55

Hello,
I'm noticing 2 problems on my chest freezer since the heat wave started. My AC was out so it was rather hot in the boat. There is some mold on the "carpet" finish on top of the chest freezer lid, between the chest door and the cushion on top of it. There is also moisture getting between the freezer door and the freezer and there is ice building in that corner on the plate.
We've been spraying down the "carpet" with mold killer but the moisture is new. Any ideas?

Billy (Amel 55#56)

Arno Luijten

Try living in the tropics with your Amel. You will find this annoyance on daily basis.  We remove the cushion during the night to allow the moisture to evaporate.
There is a 40+ degree Celsius temperature gap between the outside and the inside of the freezer. The design and materials used are not able to prevent condensation of the moisture in the air at the rim and the top of the freezer-lid.
Solving this problem is a major undertaking as you need to improve the insulation of the lid big time.
By taking off the cushion during the night the problem becomes manageable. That is what I do and I know several other Amel owners do.

Cheers,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Nick Newington

On Amelia there is a void built in to the bench, so the bottom cushion stays dry.
The back rest however is Velcro’d to the bulkhead with no void and it gets damp from the galley chest fridge. It would be possible to make a narrow void though.

The insulation is clearly not great.
The way to go is to build new insulated boxes using vacuum panels but it would be quite a project….one that I am not in a hurry to do but maybe one day…
Nick
SY Amelia
AML 54-019
Sailing Sporades GR

On 17 Jul 2021, at 13:54, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Try living in the tropics with your Amel. You will find this annoyance on daily basis.  We remove the cushion during the night to allow the moisture to evaporate.
There is a 40+ degree Celsius temperature gap between the outside and the inside of the freezer. The design and materials used are not able to prevent condensation of the moisture in the air at the rim and the top of the freezer-lid.
Solving this problem is a major undertaking as you need to improve the insulation of the lid big time.
By taking off the cushion during the night the problem becomes manageable. That is what I do and I know several other Amel owners do.

Cheers,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Brent Cameron

Olivier and Nesa on Vela Náutica did exactly this on their Amel 54 in a very good two part video on their YouTube channel. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=caZtybwa0-Y
As you say, it isn’t an easy fix but they were very happy with it in cooler climes at least.  I know they got to the Caribbean but she’d they heard how it works there.  It is clear from their videos that this system wasn’t one of the better designed features of Amels.

Brent Cameron
Future Amel owner & Amel Owner's Registry Moderator

On Jul 18, 2021, 1:15 AM -0400, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...>, wrote:
On Amelia there is a void built in to the bench, so the bottom cushion stays dry.
The back rest however is Velcro’d to the bulkhead with no void and it gets damp from the galley chest fridge. It would be possible to make a narrow void though.

<image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg>

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Arno Luijten

Quote:
 On Amelia there is a void built in to the bench, so the bottom cushion stays dry.”

Sorry but this is not valid in the tropics. Our lid is also “vented” but that makes very little difference. It still gets wet if you keep the cushion on all the time. As matter of experiment I filled the void with insulation material. That brought the duty cycle of the freezer down but the problem of condensation remained, it jus took a bit longer to get wet. The problem is that the cushion is filled with moist air from the environment and gets relatively cool on the freezer side. This makes the moist condensate like the outside of a glass of a cold beer.

The backrest cushion only gets wet if you use the countertop cavity as freezer. Used as fridge it is OK. It is all about temperature differential and humidity.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Nick, likewise on Ocean Pearl SM 299.

Regards

Danny

On 18 July 2021 at 17:15 "ngtnewington Newington via groups.io" <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, as I said in my previous SM 299 Ocean Pearl has the void built in on top of the freezer. We spent time in the Caribbean and repeated trips to the Pacific Islands from NZ. We have not experienced the problem of wetness in the cushions

Regards

Danny.

Quote: