Blisters under Orange Boot Stripe

Gerhard Hoffmann

Hi Olivier & Bill,

Thanks for your replies.  Following the suggestion of Bill, I inspected the area closely and there are micro cracks visible, probably as suggested by Bill from pressure cleaning.  I will sand and repaint at the next haul out.

Thank you Olivier for the detailed info of the fibreglass and gelcoat build up.
Many thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann
SM381 Pepino
Nea Peramos, Greece

Beaute Olivier

Hello Gerhard (and Joel and Bill),

originally, the orange gel-coat is first sprayed, the the white gel-coat is sprayed (the whole hull), then the glass scales coat is applied, then the one-coat mat is applied, then only woven glass cloth.
As it's nice and shiny (except for the bubbles), I would say this orange stripe is not the original and has been re-painted with new gel-coat or polyurethane paint.
It is definitely no osmosis.
Sand off and re-paint.

Cheers.

Olivier

On Friday, July 23, 2021, 04:09:15 PM GMT+2, Gerhard Hoffmann <bluey@...> wrote:

Around the area of the drain hole from the lazarette does not look the same as everywhere else.  It's a different colour orange and it also has little blisters.  So I don't know what's original.  I've had the boat since 2012 but it might have been done before.

That area does get very dirty and perhaps, as you suggested, it might be an over-enthusiasticpressure cleaner that has damaged it.

I assumethat it is not osmosis and do you know if the barrier coat under the gelcoat extends to that area?

How can it be repaired?  Can it be done in the next haul out in 2 years' time?

Thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann
SM381 Pepino
Nea Peramos, Greece

Gerhard Hoffmann

Around the area of the drain hole from the lazarette does not look the same as everywhere else.  It's a different colour orange and it also has little blisters.  So I don't know what's original.  I've had the boat since 2012 but it might have been done before.

That area does get very dirty and perhaps, as you suggested, it might be an over-enthusiasticpressure cleaner that has damaged it.

I assumethat it is not osmosis and do you know if the barrier coat under the gelcoat extends to that area?

How can it be repaired?  Can it be done in the next haul out in 2 years' time?

Thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann
SM381 Pepino
Nea Peramos, Greece

Do you know if this orange paint is the original orange paint and that nothing has been applied over the orange paint?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 1:06 AM Gerhard Hoffmann <bluey@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm on the hard at the moment for bi-yearly maintenance and I've noticed that there are blisters on the orange boot stripe on the aft end of the boat.  The yard manager here thinks it's definitely not osmosis, it's a paint or gelcoat problem but they're not experts.  Maybe somebody else had this issue.  When I poked the little holes with a knife there is no moisture coming out.  The blisters were exposed when the polisher went over it with some fine sandpaper aftr he attempted to repair a couple of blister spots. Photos attached.

Does the barrier coat that Amel installs under the gelcoat also extend under the orange stripe?  Does anyone have experience on how to fix this issue?  Advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks..
Gerhard Hoffmann
Pepino SM381
On the hard near Kavala, Greece