Maramu sail plan

Lance Leonard

It looks like it is set up for a hank on sail of some kind. The previous owner has made some odd choices here and there. BTW we were looking at a catamaran in Brunswick when my wife saw her first Amel, and now her we are. She walked away from the broker and wandered down the dock. I made my apologies to the broker (we weren’t buying a catamaran today) and found her talking to the owner of a SM, I think her name was Barbara.

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Staysail is (in french) "Trinquette"

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 04:14:45 PM AST, Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

Randell,

The term “mizzen ballooner” is Amel’s odd and unique way of referring to what everybody else in the sailing world calls a “mizzen staysail.”  They are equivalent terms that refer to the same sail.  I believe the usual French term for a staysail would be voile d’ėtai

Bill Kinney
SM 160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA

Bill Kinney

Randell,

The term “mizzen ballooner” is Amel’s odd and unique way of referring to what everybody else in the sailing world calls a “mizzen staysail.”  They are equivalent terms that refer to the same sail.  I believe the usual French term for a staysail would be voile d’ėtai

Bill Kinney
SM 160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA

Randall Walker

Could the mention of a “mizzen stay sail” simply be a odd way of referring to the Ballooner sail??

Randall
A54#56

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 22:30 Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Lance,

I have never seen or heard of a stay from the front of a mizzen mast forward to the deck, and I have sailed ketches for decades.  It is not an Amel original setup.  As you have suggested a mizzen staysail is always flown on its own internal stay.  In the old days, this was wire, in modern sails a high tech line of spectra, kevlar, or dyneema.  Certainly when sailing downwind the mizzen mast is not in need of extra support FORWARD.

My only guess (and it is just that) in this case is that whoever added this stay was thinking of a mizzen staysail that was a "hank-on" sail.  It would be a strange beast...

All that said, sailboat rigging is a study in infinite variations, and I have certainly not heard of them all....

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA

Bill Kinney

[...]

I am the owner of Maramu #135 (Minerva). We are currently sailing North to Maine from North Carolina. My boat came with a removable Solent stay and a removable stay on the mizzenmast. It is for downwind use only as it’s attachments pintos just forward of the dodger in the area swept by the Main boom. My question is, what sort of sail would I fly there? A mizzen staysail seems to have a different configuration with no stay required.