From: Ian Park <parkianj@...>
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Sep 2, 2021 5:38 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Deck gel coat or paint

There was a post about this earlier this year. I think it was Olivier who responded.
The tan part is gel coat and was applied first by workers new to the application of resins. Hence some areas were a bit thinner than others. The next application was white gel coat applied by employees who were properly experienced in getting the gel coat right together with the proper lay up process. The original black stripes were applied by female employees as it was found they were far more accurate than males!! (maybe a useful hint there).
You could check the posts, but I’m sure that was what was said.
I’m pretty sure that the Ivory non slip on the decks is a separate application to the gel layer beneath it.

Ian ‘Ocean Hobo’ SN 96 en route to North Wales

Ian Park

There was a post about this earlier this year. I think it was Olivier who responded.
The tan part is gel coat and was applied first by workers new to the application of resins. Hence some areas were a bit thinner than others. The next application was white gel coat applied by employees who were properly experienced in getting the gel coat right together with the proper lay up process. The original black stripes were applied by female employees as it was found they were far more accurate than males!! (maybe a useful hint there).
You could check the posts, but I’m sure that was what was said.
I’m pretty sure that the Ivory non slip on the decks is a separate application to the gel layer beneath it.

Ian ‘Ocean Hobo’ SN 96 en route to North Wales

Bryce Procter

Speaking with Ken Powers of SV Aquarius recently he mentioned a SM that had restriped in an off white and had a significant reduction in both deck and cabin temps. I would suggest ivory as white would be too much of a stark contrast.

Bryce Procter
Seamaster ll
SM2K #467

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mike and Pat, I saw one SM, Brown Eyed Girl,  that had painted the deck white. I thought it very ugly. I too have a few areas where the tan is wearing off but the overall effect is still good.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 02 September 2021 at 05:02 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Mike, I have seen a deck done in white ,probably an off white and it looked good, I have also seen the tan deck with white stripe and that looked real good. We would probably go with a lighter tan and maybe a white stripe ,but for now I just want to determine if the tan is paint . I never did see your boat in Haven Harbor south ,over there a lot this spring/summer.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans