Deck gel coat or paint

Patrick McAneny

Ian, What you have described is accurate and confirmed . It is tan gel coat followed by white  gel coat . There must have been a reason that the second ,thicker coat was not tinted tan. My tan gel coat must have been applied on the thin side, thus I have several areas where it is gone . 
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Sep 2, 2021 5:38 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Deck gel coat or paint

There was a post about this earlier this year. I think it was Olivier who responded.
The tan part is gel coat and was applied first by workers new to the application of resins. Hence some areas were a bit thinner than others. The next application was white gel coat applied by employees who were properly experienced in getting the gel coat right together with the proper lay up process. The original black stripes were applied by female employees as it was found they were far more accurate than males!! (maybe a useful hint there).
You could check the posts, but I’m sure that was what was said.
I’m pretty sure that the Ivory non slip on the decks is a separate application to the gel layer beneath it.

Ian ‘Ocean Hobo’ SN 96 en route to North Wales

Ian Park

There was a post about this earlier this year. I think it was Olivier who responded.
The tan part is gel coat and was applied first by workers new to the application of resins. Hence some areas were a bit thinner than others. The next application was white gel coat applied by employees who were properly experienced in getting the gel coat right together with the proper lay up process. The original black stripes were applied by female employees as it was found they were far more accurate than males!! (maybe a useful hint there).
You could check the posts, but I’m sure that was what was said.
I’m pretty sure that the Ivory non slip on the decks is a separate application to the gel layer beneath it.

Ian ‘Ocean Hobo’ SN 96 en route to North Wales

Bryce Procter

Speaking with Ken Powers of SV Aquarius recently he mentioned a SM that had restriped in an off white and had a significant reduction in both deck and cabin temps. I would suggest ivory as white would be too much of a stark contrast.

Bryce Procter
Seamaster ll
SM2K #467

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mike and Pat, I saw one SM, Brown Eyed Girl,  that had painted the deck white. I thought it very ugly. I too have a few areas where the tan is wearing off but the overall effect is still good.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl 

On 02 September 2021 at 05:02 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Mike, I have seen a deck done in white ,probably an off white and it looked good, I have also seen the tan deck with white stripe and that looked real good. We would probably go with a lighter tan and maybe a white stripe ,but for now I just want to determine if the tan is paint . I never did see your boat in Haven Harbor south ,over there a lot this spring/summer.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 1, 2021 12:27 pm

Hi Pat,
We have thought about painting/striping the deck.
One consideration is the temperature the tan deck reaches in the sun compared to the white deck areas…tough on bare feet and a contributor to interior temperatures.
Thinking that maybe striping in white would help reduce deck temp.
If painting the tan portion, maybe a lighter color would also help to reduce surface temps.
Just a thought, and wondering if anyone has tried lighter colors to reduce temps.
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM#240 Rock Hall, MD

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 11:20 AM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Deck gel coat or paint

Looking at Danny's deck has gotten us thinking about tackling this job again,we quickly gave up once before. However before I would do the striping I would have to address all the white areas  on my deck . Is the tan color of the deck, paint or gel coat ? I know the deck is gel coat ,but is the tan color paint? If not why in so many areas has the gel coat worn away ,and why is what is under it white. Would Amel first apply tan gel coat to the mold and then a layer of white , that would not make sense. The tan is wearing off in many low traffic areas, so it is not wear ,I don't think. The tan surface appears to be very thin ,like paint. 
My point is that I would need to first paint my deck and then stripe it ,if I want the entire deck to look good and I would like to determine if I am dealing with a gel coat or painted surface.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mike Ondra

The dark striping is virtually gone from the tan deck areas. But the tan is still pretty much in place. Even so, it is rather hot underfoot.

Mike

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore. Dream. Discover.

- Mark Twain

On Sep 1, 2021, at 1:35 PM, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Mike, I finally goth the boat back to my mooring in early July and have been working down the list since then. The hot ,humid weather has slowed my progress ,but the weather is changing tomorrow ,going to be in the seventies for the next week. We do plan on attending the show ,maybe do a shake down cruise to make sure the boat is ready to go this fall. Do you have any white areas in your tan deck?
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Wed, Sep 1, 2021 1:12 pm

Hi Pat.
Just got back from a month cruising in Maine. We are back at Northpoint and hope to get over to the Annapolis Boat Show in October. Will you be in the water then?
Mike
Aletes

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 1:02 PM

Mike, I have seen a deck done in white ,probably an off white and it looked good, I have also seen the tan deck with white stripe and that looked real good. We would probably go with a lighter tan and maybe a white stripe ,but for now I just want to determine if the tan is paint . I never did see your boat in Haven Harbor south ,over there a lot this spring/summer.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Hi Pat,
One consideration is the temperature the tan deck reaches in the sun compared to the white deck areas…tough on bare feet and a contributor to interior temperatures.
If painting the tan portion, maybe a lighter color would also help to reduce surface temps.
Just a thought, and wondering if anyone has tried lighter colors to reduce temps.
Mike Ondra

Looking at Danny's deck has gotten us thinking about tackling this job again,we quickly gave up once before. However before I would do the striping I would have to address all the white areas  on my deck . Is the tan color of the deck, paint or gel coat ? I know the deck is gel coat ,but is the tan color paint? If not why in so many areas has the gel coat worn away ,and why is what is under it white. Would Amel first apply tan gel coat to the mold and then a layer of white , that would not make sense. The tan is wearing off in many low traffic areas, so it is not wear ,I don't think. The tan surface appears to be very thin ,like paint. 
My point is that I would need to first paint my deck and then stripe it ,if I want the entire deck to look good and I would like to determine if I am dealing with a gel coat or painted surface.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Mike, I finally goth the boat back to my mooring in early July and have been working down the list since then. The hot ,humid weather has slowed my progress ,but the weather is changing tomorrow ,going to be in the seventies for the next week. We do plan on attending the show ,maybe do a shake down cruise to make sure the boat is ready to go this fall. Do you have any white areas in your tan deck?
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Wed, Sep 1, 2021 1:12 pm

Hi Pat.
Just got back from a month cruising in Maine. We are back at Northpoint and hope to get over to the Annapolis Boat Show in October. Will you be in the water then?
Mike
Aletes

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Hi Pat,
Mike Ondra

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mike Ondra

Hi Pat.

Mike

Aletes

Thanks,

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Hi Pat,

Mike Ondra

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Hi Pat,
Mike Ondra

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mike Ondra

Hi Pat,

Mike Ondra

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans