Jib car track plugs -- how many?

Rick Stanley

Hey folks I'm not at my boat right now. Could someone let me know how many jib car track plugs I'll need to replace them all, both port and starboard? I'd guess around  50-60 but not sure.

Thanks,

Rick
S/V Althea SM2K #317
Rock Hall MD

Over 90 and less than 100.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021, 10:56 AM Rick Stanley <rstanley907@...> wrote:
Hey folks I'm not at my boat right now. Could someone let me know how many jib car track plugs I'll need to replace them all, both port and starboard? I'd guess around  50-60 but not sure.

Thanks,

Rick
S/V Althea SM2K #317
Rock Hall MD

Eric Freedman

When I received plugs from Amel years ago they were too long and too wide to fit the hole. I would specify the dimensions to Maud before ordering.

Please let us know what she stocks.

Olivier suggested just covering the holes with silicone. It works great for me.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021, 10:56 AM Rick Stanley <rstanley907@...> wrote:

Hey folks I'm not at my boat right now. Could someone let me know how many jib car track plugs I'll need to replace them all, both port and starboard? I'd guess around  50-60 but not sure.

Thanks,

Rick
S/V Althea SM2K #317
Rock Hall MD

Bill Kinney

A second vote for silicone.  We ordered the polyethylene plugs from Amel early on in our ownership.  They only good thing about them is that they were cheap.  They lasted less than a year in the tropics before crumbling to uselessness. A very poor solution.  We filled them with gray GE SCS2002 silicone 5 years ago.  They are still 100% perfect.  This is a neutral cure silicone, and totally compatible with the aluminum track.

If we ever NEED to pull out these bolts, removing the silicone plugs would be a time consuming chore, but certainly not impossible.  In the meantime, the silicone plugs are a very satisfactory esthetic AND functional solution.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA (heading south in 24 to 48 hours)

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Eric, there are two sizes. You need to specify. I got them and they are excellent.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 October 2021 at 10:17 Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

When I received plugs from Amel years ago they were too long and too wide to fit the hole. I would specify the dimensions to Maud before ordering.

Please let us know what she stocks.

Olivier suggested just covering the holes with silicone. It works great for me.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021, 10:56 AM Rick Stanley <rstanley907@...> wrote:

Hey folks I'm not at my boat right now. Could someone let me know how many jib car track plugs I'll need to replace them all, both port and starboard? I'd guess around  50-60 but not sure.

Thanks,

Rick
S/V Althea SM2K #317
Rock Hall MD

Mike Ondra

We did the white silicone on Aletes as well. Due to silicone’s shrinkage, we found it necessary to overfill with a good crown to the surface of the silicone. Then, after curing, slice it off flush with a razor.

Mike

Former custodian of Aletes SM240

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore. Dream. Discover.

- Mark Twain