Antifouling / Bottompaint


Bernd Spanner
 

#Antifouling
#Bottompaint
 
Hello, a few questions:
 
1. How often do you renew your AF/BP?
2. Which one do you use?
3. Where do you sail Cold/Med/Warmwater?
 
Thanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal


Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
 

He Bernd

We do all 2 yaers with see Jet
in Greece

Berst Elja
SM Balu

Von meinem iPhone gesendet


Bruno COTTE
 

Sea jet 38 or 39?

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 3 nov. 2021 à 18:04, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> a écrit :

He Bernd

We do all 2 yaers with see Jet
in Greece

Berst Elja
SM Balu

Von meinem iPhone gesendet





Joerg Esdorn
 
Edited

When I bought my boat in 2016, Amel was using Seajet paint which worked ok in the Med but I had to clean it every couple of months and I repainted every winter. I then replaced it with international Micron 350 in 2019.  The Micron I never cleaned during the season because the International support told me to trust the self polishing and any additional cleaning would just reduce the thickness of the paint. The experience with that has been good - I never saw any reduction in speed from a dirty bottom.  One reason could be that I’m now in the Atlantic and the water is colder than in the Med.  interestingly, Amel now installs Coppercoat as standard.   I am considering that for next season. There is another thread on that on this forum.  


Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in La Rochelle 


 



I like Micron 66 because it reacts with saltwater to release biocide and is microscopically ablative. I think all of the Micron series is a hard paint that is microscopically ablative, each with different release systems. In the tropics, we needed this sort of protection. 

There is no ablative action with Coppercoat. And in the tropics, people with Coppercoat were cleaning their hulls every month or two.

Everyone needs to be aware that there are the best solutions for different areas. 

Also, the SeaJet 033 that Amel was recently using (I had not heard they switched to Coppercoat) is difficult to find in areas that do not use Europe as the supply chain.

Lastly, I had Micron 66 put on our SM in New Zealand and someone I know had Coppercoat done at the same time. Nine months later when we docked side-by-side in Singapore his hull had about 1" of marine growth on the hull because he had not cleaned it, our SM was perfectly clean.

If you don't mind cleaning your hull Coppercoat might be the best thing for certain cruising areas.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 12:27 PM Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

When I bought my boat in 2016, Amel was using Seajet paint which worked ok in the Med but I had to clean it every couple of months and I repainted every winter. I then replaced it with international Micron 350 in 2019.  The Micron I never cleaned during the season because the International support told me to trust the self polishing and any additional cleaning would just reduce the thickness of the paint. The experience with that has been good - I never saw any reduction in speed from a dirty bottom.  One reason could be that I’m now in the Atlantic and the water is colder than in the Med.  interestingly, Amel now installs Copperplate as standard.   I am considering that for next season. There is another thread on that on this forum.  


Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in La Rochelle 


Slavko Despotovic
 

Just checked on International web site and Micron 66 is "retired". No replacement have been mentioned. It is mentioned on Australia site, not on others. Local dealer in Croatia is saying Trilux 33. That is the one that is on Bonne Anse.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>
 

HI,

I just had my boat painted 2 weeks ago with Micron 66.

Micron 66 is manufactured by Interlux and is on their website.

Fair Winds

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

USA

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Slavko Despotovic
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2021 3:37 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Antifouling / Bottompaint

 

Just checked on International web site and Micron 66 is "retired". No replacement have been mentioned. It is mentioned on Australia site, not on others. Local dealer in Croatia is saying Trilux 33. That is the one that is on Bonne Anse.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Alan Leslie
 

Antifouling paint discussions are a bit like anchor discussions, everyone has a favourite and for all the right reasons - for them.
We used to use Micron 66 but had a bad experience many years ago- turned out it was the guy that did the work, not the paint. He was, unbeknownst to us, in financial difficulties and he was thinning the paint to make it go further! He's out of business now.
We used Seahawk Cucote on Elyse for one season. It was fine while we were in the South Pacific islands, but in the marina in New Zealand it didn't work out at all well. The weed growth was atrocious. 
Last four years we have been using Carboline Sea Barrier 3000 ablative paint.
We made the decision by having the boat painter paint 4 patches of different antifouling paint on Elyse's keel.
When we hauled out 6 months later, it was plain that Carboline had done the best job.
Our subsequent experience with it in New Zealand, sitting in a marina and sailing in the South Pacific islands has been excellent. I guess you would rate that as "warm water".
We normally haul every 24 months for antifoul and underwater maintenance - not this year though due to travel restrictions.
My friend JP in Opua organised to take Elyse out of the marina to have her bottom scrubbed and zincs changed by divers last week.
The antifoul will just have to wait, but when we do it, it will be Carboline Sea Barrier 3000 again - it's also one of the least expensive.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437


Bill Kinney
 

We have used Seahawk Biocop, another ablative paint.  The primary difference between it and Micron 66 (which I had a long and happy history with on my old boat in San Francisco Bay) is that BioCop is stable in freshwater.  Without salt in the water, Micron66 dissolves and "ablates" very quickly.  Since we occasionally spend a fair bit of time in places with water on the fresher side of brackish it semed that the SeaHawk paint was the better choice for us. The fresh(er) water places we have been recently have been the Chesapeake, from Annapolis north, the upper reaches of the New River in Fort Lauderdale, and Bas d'Or Lake in Nova Scotia.

This is what two coats of BioCop looks like before power washing after 13 months of sailing mostly in Florida and the Bahamas, but also travel to the upper reaches of the Chesapeake.  So mostly very warm water, and varying a lot in salinity. In that time frame it was cleaned exactly zero times. If we expected to push out to 2 years, we would put three coats on.

The prop has a standard application of PropSpeed as well, of the same age.  Also, not cleaned at all.  Overall, we are very happy with this program.  


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Slavako. I used Micron 66 for years. OK for a start but latterly I suspected a change in formulation as it got progressively less effective with each use.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Mangonui New Zealand

On 05 November 2021 at 08:37 Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> wrote:

Just checked on International web site and Micron 66 is "retired". No replacement have been mentioned. It is mentioned on Australia site, not on others. Local dealer in Croatia is saying Trilux 33. That is the one that is on Bonne Anse.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Bill et al,

Absolutely right about different products for different areas. As I said in a previous I used micron 66 but as it became less effective in the same waters I suspected a change in formulation. However this post is to note an interesting situation. locked out of the Pacific islands for the last two NZ winters my boat has spent its time either Northern NZ cruising or on its Mangonui mooring. Different seasons different challenges. Must be water temp induced I guess. There are times of intense barnacle challenge. After 7 months my prop speeded propeller was clean. Two months later totally covered in large barnacles. Scraped it clean and the barnacles have not returned in 6 months. Other boats in the harbour have had barnacle challenge on 9 month anti fouling. Other harbours are experiencing similar challenges. It seems to be a seasonal thing. There are times of extreme challenge. The last time I had micron 66 on within six months the hull was covered, and I mean covered, in tiny barnacles. I dived and scraped it clean with a 6 inch paint scraper. They didn't return.

So, pay your money and take your chances as they say

Danny

SM 299 Ocean pearl

On 05 November 2021 at 08:18 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:



I like Micron 66 because it reacts with saltwater to release biocide and is microscopically ablative. I think all of the Micron series is a hard paint that is microscopically ablative, each with different release systems. In the tropics, we needed this sort of protection. 

There is no ablative action with Coppercoat. And in the tropics, people with Coppercoat were cleaning their hulls every month or two.

Everyone needs to be aware that there are the best solutions for different areas. 

Also, the SeaJet 033 that Amel was recently using (I had not heard they switched to Coppercoat) is difficult to find in areas that do not use Europe as the supply chain.

Lastly, I had Micron 66 put on our SM in New Zealand and someone I know had Coppercoat done at the same time. Nine months later when we docked side-by-side in Singapore his hull had about 1" of marine growth on the hull because he had not cleaned it, our SM was perfectly clean.

If you don't mind cleaning your hull Coppercoat might be the best thing for certain cruising areas.
 

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
 
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
 
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 12:27 PM Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

When I bought my boat in 2016, Amel was using Seajet paint which worked ok in the Med but I had to clean it every couple of months and I repainted every winter. I then replaced it with international Micron 350 in 2019.  The Micron I never cleaned during the season because the International support told me to trust the self polishing and any additional cleaning would just reduce the thickness of the paint. The experience with that has been good - I never saw any reduction in speed from a dirty bottom.  One reason could be that I’m now in the Atlantic and the water is colder than in the Med.  interestingly, Amel now installs Copperplate as standard.   I am considering that for next season. There is another thread on that on this forum.  


Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in La Rochelle 

 

 


Scott SV Tengah
 

Alan,

Did your Sea Barrier 3000 look decent last week? How long has it been since the last application?

We are in French Polynesia now but are intending to head to NZ in either 1 or 2 years and we'll be needing a repaint at that point. I love my Micron 99 but a quick search revealed that Sea Barrier 3000 is FAR less expensive.

https://wynnfraser.co.nz/product/950-AL-Sea-Barrier-SB-3000-Blue-Antifoul-10L


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Slavko Despotovic
 

Next spring it will be first time I will do AF on my Amel. What is quantity I would need to order? I checked with Trilux 33 that requires 3 layers and will need 14 litre of AF . It was calculated on supplier site. I would be grateful for some first hand data regarding how many litres I need.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Scott SV Tengah
 

I used 5 gallons or around 19 liters for my A54. Three coats at waterline and front facing surfaces, two coats everywhere else.

 

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...>
Reply-To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, November 8, 2021 at 5:29 PM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Antifouling / Bottompaint

 

Next spring it will be first time I will do AF on my Amel. What is quantity I would need to order? I checked with Trilux 33 that requires 3 layers and will need 14 litre of AF . It was calculated on supplier site. I would be grateful for some first hand data regarding how many litres I need.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


 

SM will be 20 liters with 3 coats at the waterline and front-facing surfaces, two coats everywhere else.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 10:32 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

I used 5 gallons or around 19 liters for my A54. Three coats at waterline and front facing surfaces, two coats everywhere else.

 

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...>
Reply-To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, November 8, 2021 at 5:29 PM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Antifouling / Bottompaint

 

Next spring it will be first time I will do AF on my Amel. What is quantity I would need to order? I checked with Trilux 33 that requires 3 layers and will need 14 litre of AF . It was calculated on supplier site. I would be grateful for some first hand data regarding how many litres I need.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Slavko.

20 litres

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 09 November 2021 at 05:29 Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> wrote:

Next spring it will be first time I will do AF on my Amel. What is quantity I would need to order? I checked with Trilux 33 that requires 3 layers and will need 14 litre of AF . It was calculated on supplier site. I would be grateful for some first hand data regarding how many litres I need.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Alan Leslie
 

Hi Scott,

It's coming up to two years now.
The hull was relatively clean last time I looked at it in May, only a small amount of soft weed fouling.
I guess it was the same when the divers did it, nobody said anything.
The barnacle epidemic that Danny refers to, we suffered from too. At that time we had Micron 66.
There were a lot of boats in the North of New Zealand at the time that had that issue.
I'm sure it had to do with water temperature and that season because it hasn't happened again since.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437