Something for Electrical Engineers, Experts, and Wannabes like me

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

Clive,

I used to build waveguide, slotted line , and rotary joints for different agencies. If you send a few hundred megawatt pulse down a rotary joint and there is .00001 ohms insertion loss. They will return a ball of aluminum to you.

It was interesting making stuff for JPL and the DEW line.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Clive Chapman
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 4:58 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Something for Electrical Engineers, Experts, and Wannabes like me

I haven’t had the chance to watch the video yet, but as an electronics engineer as training, if you want to blow your birdy brains try understanding the propagation of RF along a coax cable…then try how an aerial works…and for Einstein level, try RF down a waveguide as used on most radars. Nearly forty years on I’m still struggling with the concept that energy would rather travel down the air in the middle of a bit of waveguide than the solid bit of conductor that surrounds it!

Regards

Clive

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

If you really want to be confused, explain how microwave signals move down waveguide (like in your radar) and why are the dimensions of the waveguide critical for different frequencies . Like s band k band etc.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Alex BAIZEAU
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Group Moderators <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Something for Electrical Engineers, Experts, and Wannabes like me

Thanks Bill, This video blew my mind and actually raised more questions than it answered :D 

If I understand correctly Electrical energy is not like a fluid that flows through a pipe but carried by electromagnetic waves that radiates from the battery to the lightbulb in all directions.

But then, I believe, most of the power has to flow along the wires otherwise electromagnetic waves would cause all kinds of interferences in all directions radiating from all power sources.

So in that video, some energy flows in a straight line between the battery in the light bulb at the speed of light, but how much? Is it negligible? enough to turn on the light? If so, isn't this just an antenna effect? 

Thanks for sharing.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 5:11 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I really enjoyed this video. It explains how electricity works. Maybe you will enjoy it also. It was given to me by my grandson, an engineering student and junior at Texas A&M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHIhgxav9LY

Bill

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.

Dean Gillies

Maxwell's equations explain everything perfectly. Don't they??

Clive Chapman

I haven’t had the chance to watch the video yet, but as an electronics engineer as training, if you want to blow your birdy brains try understanding the propagation of RF along a coax cable…then try how an aerial works…and for Einstein level, try RF down a waveguide as used on most radars. Nearly forty years on I’m still struggling with the concept that energy would rather travel down the air in the middle of a bit of waveguide than the solid bit of conductor that surrounds it!

Regards
Clive

Alex BAIZEAU

Thanks Bill, This video blew my mind and actually raised more questions than it answered :D 

If I understand correctly Electrical energy is not like a fluid that flows through a pipe but carried by electromagnetic waves that radiates from the battery to the lightbulb in all directions.

But then, I believe, most of the power has to flow along the wires otherwise electromagnetic waves would cause all kinds of interferences in all directions radiating from all power sources.

So in that video, some energy flows in a straight line between the battery in the light bulb at the speed of light, but how much? Is it negligible? enough to turn on the light? If so, isn't this just an antenna effect? 

Thanks for sharing.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 5:11 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
I really enjoyed this video. It explains how electricity works. Maybe you will enjoy it also. It was given to me by my grandson, an engineering student and junior at Texas A&M.

Bill

Bill