MDKAL starting problem

william reynolds

Try manually holding the fuel solenoid engaged while cranking and hold until generator is at speed.
I have experienced this twice. Possibily low voltage to solenoid.
Bill
Cloudstreet

Bill Kinney

I agree that a bad solenoid is a possible cause of the symptoms described.

The solenoid used on most Onans is a "two coil" type.  One powerful "start coil" that pulls the plunger to the "run" position, and a second one that holds it there so the "Start coil" can be turned off to prevent overheating.  If the hold coil is not working properly, as soon as the "start coil" is de-energized the plunger will return to the stop position, and the engine stops.  A number of things can cause this, including just dirt making it sticky (if it doesn't open all the way, it doesn't stay open) or a bad connection.

These solenoids are available aftermarket at a small fraction of the price from Onan.  When we had an Onan onboard, this was one of our spares.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA

rossirossix4

Does anyone have the part number for the MDKAV fuel solenoid?  I assume it is the same as the MDKAL but can't locate it in the pdf of my parts manual.  I'm thinking a  spare belongs in my kit.  Thanking you in advance.

Bob   KAIMI SM429

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

Bob,

Fuel solenoid or fuel pump?

Fair Winds

ERIC

Kimberlite Amel SM 376’

Does anyone have the part number for the MDKAV fuel solenoid?  I assume it is the same as the MDKAL but can't locate it in the pdf of my parts manual.  I'm thinking a  spare belongs in my kit.  Thanking you in advance.

Bob   KAIMI SM429

I read that in an earlier post. I do not believe any of the Onan models have a fuel cut-off solenoid. I believe most of them have a throttle actuator governor which when all the way closed acts as a fuel cut-off. This is the part I speak of for the MDKAV, but it varies from model to model.
image.png
image.png

Older Onans looked like this:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 3:53 PM rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:
Does anyone have the part number for the MDKAV fuel solenoid?  I assume it is the same as the MDKAL but can't locate it in the pdf of my parts manual.  I'm thinking a  spare belongs in my kit.  Thanking you in advance.

Bob   KAIMI SM429

Bill Kinney

The part number Bill R. as posted is the solenoid (or actuator) and does not control engine speed despite what Onan's parts list might call it.  The fuel shut off lever (RED in the photo) is spring loaded to return to the "OFF" position.  The solenoid's job is to hold it against the spring and allow the engine to run.  These engines have a mechanical speed governor internal to the injection pump, the speed is not electronically controlled.

They are not the same for all models of Onan generator.  Some are two wire, some three.  Most of them have a part number on the label that a google search will locate replacement parts to match.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA

rossirossix4

My parts list for the MDKAV shows it as the 306−5006−01 that Bill R shows.  I am not near my boat.  What number would I Google?

Bob Rossi, KAIMI  SM429

Bill Kinney

Bob,

I can't give you the exact number (we don't have an Onan anymore, and when we did, ours was a different model) but the label on the solenoid has the original number from the manufacturer for the solenoid, which is the one you need.  You might have some luck if you have the Onan part number for the specific part on your genset, and using that to look up cross reference numbers.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA

Kevin Cole

Thanks to the group for the suggestions regarding our Onan Generator.
Here is the update for our MDKAL onan starting but immediately shutting off.

After testing or replacing the exhaust temp, coolant temp, and oil pressure sensors, testing the shut off solenoid and confirming the generator runs on its own, flashing the exciter, testing the relays, and the voltage regulator. We determine the issue was the generator not producing power via the voltage regulator.
Voltage regulators are around $1100 from Cummins/Onan and not available until mid January. However we found a used one here in the marina from Ramon on Blue Marine (Amel SM2) whose generator Kuboto engine has failed.
We replaced the Voltage Regulator and the generator fired right up and works as before...perfectly (knock on wood).

A little stressful but thanks to Ramon we should be on our way out of the marine soon.
Thanks again to the forum for the suggestions
Kevin Cole
S/V Anahita SM2 276
Shelter Bay marina, Panama