Electric Headsail Furler Replacements for Amel and Bamar MEJ & EJF

VLADIMIR SONSEV

I have a set of spare parts for original furler. Call or write me if you need one.
I am a previous owner of Amel Supper Maramu " Life is Good"
Vladimir. 202-258-1916.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021, 2:21 PM Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:

We had to replace the Bamar EJF-1 about 4 weeks ago that was installed approximately 3 ½ years ago.  Water intrusion seemed to have incurred at an unknown location causing what appeared to be electrolytic corrosion resulting in a frozen motor and brake system and a small hole corroded through the aluminum housing at the bottom of the unit adjacent the stainless steel mounting plate.  The only alternative was to replace the furler.

Paul at Bamar USA informed me, reference the attached photo, that the wire bundle from the furler to the boat should be as straight as possible and definitely without the S bend shown in the photograph.  There is no interior drain tube incorporated in the wiring bundle which is enclosed in the black protective tube.  The tube itself acts as a drain routing any water into the forward sail locker if there is any condensation or other moisture accumulation in the furler.  Paul suspected there had been condensation which built up inside the furler while I suspected a failure of the furler itself.

When I asked Paul why the installer incorrectly ran the wire he informed me emphatically that it was not the installer’s fault that nowhere in the instructions was there a mention of running the wiring in as straight a manner and directly as possible to the tube leading below deck.  On the new installation the tube was shortened dramatically and although the wire was not run straight due to the room available under the furler it was looped such that the wire run remained below the level of the furler allowing drainage to occur.

I am unclear as to what preventative maintenance if any could be performed to prevent water incursion.  However, if you have an EJF-1 installed it could be prudent to revise the wiring run to at least provide a drain should water intrusion occur.  Paul was very helpful getting the new unit built and shipped from Italy quickly.  There was a significant delay with DHL and I would recommend never using them in the future –for ANYTHING.  This was a very expensive 3 ½ year lifetime with this piece of equipment.

--
Mark Mueller
former Brass Ring  A54

Mark & Debbie Mueller

[...]

All,

Amel-designed Genoa Electric Furler:
As you may be aware there are no Amel-designed Genoa furlers available and there are only a few of the parts available from the Swiss guy who manufactured these for Amel. If you want a part now, or any time in the future, you should contact him immediately. When they are gone, they are gone. I suggest that at the very least you purchase the Bronze Spur Gear and Worm Gear, with possibly the bearings and seals. French only:  Pierangelo VIGNANDO <vikasa.vignando@...+41 79 447 21 42. Tell him I gave you his contact information.
Bronze and Worm Gear.jpg

BAMAR:
Regarding BAMAR MEJ furlers, you may be aware that BAMAR discontinued these belt-driven MEJ furlers and now sells the EJF, a gear-drive furler. BAMAR offered a reduced price to upgrade the MEJ to the EJF, which a number Amel 54 owners took advantage of. Regrettably, I am aware of two failures of the newer EJF furlers due to water intrusion. Water intrusion was a big issue with the MEJ.

Best Alternative today - FACNOR (same as the ProFurl on Amel 50 & 60) & Discount available to you
Some of you are aware of my review of an Amel 50 here. One of the things I really liked with the Amel 50 was the Profurl headsail furlers. I really liked them. Profurl and FACNOR have exactly the same electric headsail furlers. They are owned by the same company. These furlers are waterproof, among other things. More, click here
Photo of a FACNOR electric furler installed on an Amel 54.
image.png

Cost, Discounts, & Sharing with you:
My clients know that I try to negotiate discounts for them for Amel OEM quality replacements. I have just completed negotiations with FACNOR for a "Preferred Vendor" discount on these remarkable furlers regardless of where you have them installed in the world. I am notifying my clients of this, and if any Amel owner is interested in taking advantage of the discount I negotiated, please email me at brouse@... for more information because I would like to share this with you.

I am not affiliated with FACNOR, or any other Preferred Vendor. I never accept and always refuse any commission, reward, or fee of any sort from anyone to promote their products.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar