Forever Young / Standing rigging

Steve Harmon

I'm overdue for new standing rigging, can anybody give me a ballpark price. Steve / Forever Young / 53 Amel / 272

Steve,

You can order the kit from ACMO which includes everything and it is exactly cut. Because of the recent agreement signed by France and the US, you will need an EIN number. Shipping may be an issue because of the lack of commercial flights due to COVID.

The ACMO complete rigging kit with optional stainless steel turnbuckles with bronze inserts is about 10,000 euro with a 10% discount included...be sure to ask for it. Freight will probably be about 2,500 euro. Some owners have replaced the rigging themselves, 1 piece at a time, taking 4-6 days. Others have hired a rigger to help them. I have the instructions if you need them. Let me know.

If you go to Caraibe in Martinique, the total installed price is around 15,000 euro and they will use ACMO fittings and turnbuckles with the same German wire that ACMO uses.
648a9d15-0e25-46ec-8a1f-662fd747eac2.png
Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 10:59 AM Steve Harmon via groups.io <caliber33=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I'm overdue for new standing rigging, can anybody give me a ballpark price. Steve / Forever Young / 53 Amel / 272

Steve,

Correction in pricing. Caraibe Marine is currently 12,500 Euros including labor. This includes the 15% discount I negotiated with Caraibe for my clients.

A client had a complete rigging change of a SM in July 2021 for 12,500 euro. I suspect there might be a slight increase in price since May.

Email Gaëtan Rivet <gaetan@...>

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

There is also an agent around the corner from Amel who fills out a forms  for I think a few hundred euros and you are not charged VAT for whatever you do no your boat.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Correction in pricing. Caraibe Marine is currently 12,500 Euros including labor. This includes the 15% discount I negotiated with Caraibe for my clients.

A client had a complete rigging change of a SM in July 2021 for 12,500 euro. I suspect there might be a slight increase in price since May.

Email Gaëtan Rivet <gaetan@...>

Bill

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.

[...]

rossirossix4

Just left a note on the stuck spline issue of the bowthrusters regrding LanoCote.  Let me endorse LanoCote® for rigging use as well.  When we were in Göcek, Turkey we had ACMO shipped in from France tax free from EU and Turkish taxes--BTW a couple of interesting things:  the tax guy there required that we use our boat stamp (probably good evidence that it actually went to a boat) AND walked out to our docked boat to see where the rigging would go and asked why it needed to be replaced!

Anyway, when M2 Rigging there (very experienced with Amels) rigged it with the new ACMO I requested that they apply LanoCote® to the threads of all turnbuckles.  3 years later I had the rigging measured and retensioned by Caraibe Marine in Martinique immediately after our Atlantic crossing.  They only needed to make 2 or 3 adjustments to the rigging and those were one half turn only.  We consider Caraibe Marine in Le Marin to be very expert in Amel rigging, so this finding--IMHO--was a very good endorsement of both ACMO and M2.  The Caraibe guys mentioned that the adjustments were easy.

Related--I have been told that in a dismasting, rigging usually only needs to be cut or hacksawed if the turnbuckles are seized.  I'd like to believe that this is less likely if LanoCote or a similar product is initially used.

Bob  KAIMI SM429

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Bob,

When you had the rigging shipped to Turkey, did you have it sent to an agent or did you provide ACMO with a Marina address to send it to.

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

rossirossix4

Edited

We used Emik Marin, the Amel service center which is located in Göcek .  I think the yacht-in-transit tax exemption process in Turkey is a bit complicated or involves using someone who knows the tax officials.  Like many things with Emik (and indeed in Turkey) we haggled for quite a while over the cost.  Initially the cost was going to be high but came down.  I suspect that Emik was able to combine the ACMO rigging with some other tax free imports to get the process costs down.  They do these on a regular basis so they know the ins and outs--I recall that when their van arrived it had a tax seal on the door that was opened by an official and as I noted they required a boat stamp and observation of the boat itself along with some animated discussion in Turkish with Emik staff.  Having Çay with the tax officials was part of the process of course...gotta love Turkey!.  The bottom line was that our cost for a complete ACMO kit installed by the experts at M2 was €9,000 (we only negotiated on our final cost including agent fees, ACMO costs and shipping costs, and probably tax agent fees.  I recall that we used a "broken record" technique claiming that we could only pay the 9K....eventually it became a reality.  BTW topping lifts were the only items not included in the ACMO kit and we....you guessed it.....haggled with M2 and traded them some other rigging items and they made them up from scratch.

We only needed a boat stamp but let me repeat this post....a "Yacht-In-Transit" stamp has been helpful in other locations (you can get self-inking customized, official looking, yacht-in-transit stamps for about $10 on eBay..... https://photos.app.goo.gl/f4Le1aq4eyMPFQyZ9

Bob      KAIMI SM429

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Thanks Bob,

Having been in Turkey now for nearly 18 months we’re are starting to see the issues about bring stuff into the country. We have seen a number of cruising friends who have been stung by large import costs, sometimes upto 100% the cost of the item. It has certainly made us very cautious.

We have spoken to Emek Marine and also M2 riggers about assisting us and it is good to know and hear from other Amel owners who have done the same.

Kind Regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356

On Thursday, December 16, 2021, 8:10 AM, rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Be careful about comparing costs for an ACMO rig for a SM.

A few years ago, the rig kit for a SM was 7k euro, and as of 1 Dec it was 10k euro. Those prices do not include VAT or Freight.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 2:39 AM Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Bob,

Having been in Turkey now for nearly 18 months we’re are starting to see the issues about bring stuff into the country. We have seen a number of cruising friends who have been stung by large import costs, sometimes upto 100% the cost of the item. It has certainly made us very cautious.

We have spoken to Emek Marine and also M2 riggers about assisting us and it is good to know and hear from other Amel owners who have done the same.

Kind Regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Nicolas Klene

Hello Bill
Again a very interesting post for me. In the new year I will have to change my rigging and will follow your advise and go ACMO with the new turnbuckles.
I would be interested in the DIY method , to have a look If I can do it !
Best wishes for the holidays
Nicolas
SV DarNico
Amel 53 # 471

Le 10 déc. 2021 à 19:17, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> a écrit :

[...]

DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

Brent Cameron

Hey Nicolas, Delos did a series of three videos on YouTube about them re-rigging Delos in Thailand. (Go to YouTube and search "Delos rigging”).  They show the difficulty with the front turnbuckle, how the cables are swaged and how they replaced the wires with the mast still standing.  Not for the faint of heart but certainly possible with some help.  It would be a lot easier with a prebuilt kit like ACMO ships with Bill’s discount as well.

Brent

On Dec 22, 2021, 6:31 AM -0500, Nicolas Klene via groups.io <laixoi@...>, wrote:

[...]

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Pierre Blouin

All,
I have been discussing with ACMO for a while about buying a kit for my SM and  ACMO is now working on lining-up a shipper to the US for my kit.
ACMO rep told me she just sold a kit to a US customer, does anyone know who that is? I am looking for the contact to discuss the "new" import/custom process and fees for that type of product..
Let me know here or contact me offline (blouinpdx@...).

Thanks

-Pierre Blouin
SV Viva, SM#374