New Engine

James Rainsbury

Dear Amelians,

Season’s Greetings!
For various reasons, we’re considering re powering our recently purchased boat - we’ve had quotes for repair of the old Volvo Penta but there’s not much in it vs a new engine. Ideally, we’d have gone with a Betamarine but the lead time on that if ordered now is July (!). We have a year career break, starting in July, and I can foresee that date slipping if we wait for a Beta, and eating into our year off. So we’re looking at other options - a new Volvo or a Yanmar in particular (although would consider alternatives). Any thoughts on which engine from the group?

Thanks v much
James

Folie a Deux
SM #239
Southampton UK

Matt Salatino

My own penchant for simplicity would push me to the Beta.
no electronic fuel injection, plethora of sensors, turbo…….
the repair bill on an engine dependent on electronics, when the boat is struck by lightning, is a significant percentage of the initial cost of the engine.
Not to mention the additional spares requirement to cover faulty sensors.
If time is of the essence, go with the choice that depends less on electronics.

Matt,

I could not have said it better. In the very near future, I expect this non-computer Beta solution to disappear, but for now, it is available. Many people are not aware that the Beta engine is a Kabuto diesel that has been converted to raw water cooling.

Bill

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 8:53 AM Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My own penchant for simplicity would push me to the Beta.
no electronic fuel injection, plethora of sensors, turbo…….
the repair bill on an engine dependent on electronics, when the boat is struck by lightning, is a significant percentage of the initial cost of the engine.
Not to mention the additional spares requirement to cover faulty sensors.
If time is of the essence, go with the choice that depends less on electronics.

Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171

James,

Today we picked up our new Beta60 from betamarine Netherland.  The owner said that he always has a number of motorcycles in stock.  maybe he can help you further.  his name is Eric Kuijkhoven his phone number is +31630186370 and email betamarine@...

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi James, we repowered about 6 or 7 years ago with the Volvo D 2 75. Apart from turbo carboning it has been trouble free. It is noticeably lighter, the stern floats higher and it has considerably more torque than the TMD 22. Even with the propeller encrusted with barnacles it makes the designed under load 3000 rpm. It has about 1400 hours up now. Interestingly it is a pushrod engine, no overhead cam shaft and associated belt issues and it has a lower profile because of that. Not an issue in our vast engine room. Fitting it was a breeze. The engine mount holes are identically placed so we just had to make spacers to level to engine. The gearbox bolted straight on. These points helped keep the install cost down. I can see no reason to regret our choice.
regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 24/12/2021 23:19 James Rainsbury <james.rainsbury@...> wrote:

Dear Amelians,

Season’s Greetings!
For various reasons, we’re considering re powering our recently purchased boat - we’ve had quotes for repair of the old Volvo Penta but there’s not much in it vs a new engine. Ideally, we’d have gone with a Betamarine but the lead time on that if ordered now is July (!). We have a year career break, starting in July, and I can foresee that date slipping if we wait for a Beta, and eating into our year off. So we’re looking at other options - a new Volvo or a Yanmar in particular (although would consider alternatives). Any thoughts on which engine from the group?

Thanks v much
James

Folie a Deux
SM #239
Southampton UK

Trevor Lusty

James,
           Check  with several of your local area Volvo dealers if there is a trade in value for your old  Volvo engine. The Irish Volvo dealer was using this as a ruse to justify substantial discounting of smaller Volvo engines in spring of this year.

If I had a choice it would be BETA all the way because it is Kubota, it's simple, strong and reliable, parts easily sourced,  what else would you want?
It also comes with a five year self service warranty. I have come across boats with thousands of hours on Betas and no problems.

My first choice for the past thirty years has always been Yanmar.

The only engine ever to give me trouble was Volvo - BUT - Danny's words can't be argued with, I have read dozens of his posts over the years on mechanical issues and he is always right on the money.

He is bang on about the ease of installation, which on a SM will save you a fortune. My wife and I replaced our gearbox at sea off the coast of Mexico and it was straightforward.

Good luck.

Trevor Lusty
Ireland

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi again re Volvo D 2 75. I mentioned the turbo carboning up. It did not affect it until the 7th year so not a big issue. I removed the turbo. Separated the inlet from the exhaust side. Soaked the carboned exhaust side in spirits of salts for 36 hours. Blasted it with the water blaster. Clean. reassembled. Going well. And will do for the next 7 years I guess
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 25/12/2021 07:23 Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments Trevor. I stripped all the ancillary parts off the old engine and left the rest with the Volvo dealer.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean pearl

On 25/12/2021 08:18 Trevor Lusty <trevlusty@...> wrote:

[...]

Spelling, Bill…. Kubota….
even our tractor engine, and Onan genset are Kubotas….

Miles

Hi Danny,

I have also had a good experience with the D2 75 over the last 6 years.  I would add that in addition to having considerably more torque than the TMD 22, it does it while getting much better mileage.

Regards,

Miles

SM216  Ladybug

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Yes Miles, I agree about the mileage
All the best to you and yours
Danny

On 26/12/2021 07:24 Miles <milesbid@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

I have also had a good experience with the D2 75 over the last 6 years.  I would add that in addition to having considerably more torque than the TMD 22, it does it while getting much better mileage.

Regards,

Miles

SM216  Ladybug

Teun BAAS

I donated my old engine to the local (NEW CALEDONIA) Maritime School; they happily accepted.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

December 28, 2021 15:21:52

[...]

Dear Everyone, thank you so much for all your useful advice and opinion. We certainly have lots to think about!
Best wishes and a Happy New Year
James

Folie a Deux
SM #239