Water maker hose in the Bahamas

Patrick McAneny

We just arrived in the Spanish Wells,Bahamas yesterday and this morning I discovered a bad leak in the high pressure hose fitting on the water maker . What is the psi needed for the hose coming off the high pressure pump? I expect it to be a long hassle to get a replacement sent here.

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Here are a few things that are good to know about water maker pressure with most Dessalator watermakers.

From Dessalator:
The high-pressure sensor switch closes causing the HP Alarm at 68-70 Bar [968 to 1015 PSI].
HP hose is E740100 SAE100R7 5/16" MAX W. P. 253 BAR
From me: 3/8 or 1/2" hydraulic will work fine as long as the correct size JIC fittings are used
Never use thread tape or seal on the high-pressure hose connections.
JIC fittings should be tight.
From me: Be sure to use a "backing wrench" when tightening
The fitting is a 3/8" JIC Flare fitting. Always use Loctite 542 on the "flare part only" of all JIC fittings.

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 7:33 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

We just arrived in the Spanish Wells,Bahamas yesterday and this morning I discovered a bad leak in the high pressure hose fitting on the water maker . What is the psi needed for the hose coming off the high pressure pump? I expect it to be a long hassle to get a replacement sent here.

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Pat;

We had a leak at one of the HP hose connections a couple of years ago. Luckily the smoke detector that we had installed in the engine room alerted us to the water mist, before the leak got worse and did damage to the electronics. Also, the black protective covering on the HP hoses was flaking off.  We ordered all hoses and connectors direct from Desalator and replaced all HP hoses and the hose from the LP to HP pump. The new hoses are supposed to be much better and have UV protectant, so they should last a lot longer. The job was easier than I had anticipated and was able to complete it in less than a day. We were however in Europe and shipping was not an issue.

I would recommend contacting Martin Dee Jong, the main technical guy at Desalator. He can be contacted on WhatsApp at +33607346511. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Since they do ship all over the world, I’m sure they can figure it out and get it out to you. They are more expensive than other suppliers, as you know.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

We just arrived in the Spanish Wells,Bahamas yesterday and this morning I discovered a bad leak in the high pressure hose fitting on the water maker . What is the psi needed for the hose coming off the high pressure pump? I expect it to be a long hassle to get a replacement sent here.

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

Pat,

Most hydraulic shops can make you a new one in 15 minutes.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

We just arrived in the Spanish Wells,Bahamas yesterday and this morning I discovered a bad leak in the high pressure hose fitting on the water maker . What is the psi needed for the hose coming off the high pressure pump? I expect it to be a long hassle to get a replacement sent here.

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

JB Duler

Patrick,

Ask the local contractors or county officials where they get their tractors, bulldozers fixed. Any machine with hydraulics or large compressors must change their high pressure hoses on a regular basis. Believe me, they don't send the hoses back to the manufacturers. Small shops have the right fittings, the hoses and the small machine required to fit the hardware to the hose.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

Patrick,

Just make sure that the hydraulic hoses they use are not reinforced with any form of steel mesh. Many have a blue hose that is rated for high pressure and they can reuse your JIC fittings. They are expensive.

If they are steel reinforced the steel will rust and really mess up your watermaker.