Water maker hose in the Bahamas

Patrick McAneny

We just arrived in the Spanish Wells,Bahamas yesterday and this morning I discovered a bad leak in the high pressure hose fitting on the water maker . What is the psi needed for the hose coming off the high pressure pump? I expect it to be a long hassle to get a replacement sent here. 

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Here are a few things that are good to know about water maker pressure with most Dessalator watermakers.

From Dessalator: 
The high-pressure sensor switch closes causing the HP Alarm at 68-70 Bar [968 to 1015 PSI].
HP hose is E740100 SAE100R7 5/16" MAX W. P. 253 BAR 
From me: 3/8 or 1/2" hydraulic will work fine as long as the correct size JIC fittings are used
Never use thread tape or seal on the high-pressure hose connections. 
JIC fittings should be tight. 
From me: Be sure to use a "backing wrench" when tightening
The fitting is a 3/8" JIC Flare fitting. Always use Loctite 542 on the "flare part only" of all JIC fittings.

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 7:33 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

We just arrived in the Spanish Wells,Bahamas yesterday and this morning I discovered a bad leak in the high pressure hose fitting on the water maker . What is the psi needed for the hose coming off the high pressure pump? I expect it to be a long hassle to get a replacement sent here. 

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Pat;

We had a leak at one of the HP hose connections a couple of years ago. Luckily the smoke detector that we had installed in the engine room alerted us to the water mist, before the leak got worse and did damage to the electronics. Also, the black protective covering on the HP hoses was flaking off.  We ordered all hoses and connectors direct from Desalator and replaced all HP hoses and the hose from the LP to HP pump. The new hoses are supposed to be much better and have UV protectant, so they should last a lot longer. The job was easier than I had anticipated and was able to complete it in less than a day. We were however in Europe and shipping was not an issue.

I would recommend contacting Martin Dee Jong, the main technical guy at Desalator. He can be contacted on WhatsApp at +33607346511. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Since they do ship all over the world, I’m sure they can figure it out and get it out to you. They are more expensive than other suppliers, as you know.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2021 5:34 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Water maker hose in the Bahamas

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

Pat,

Most hydraulic shops can make you a new one in 15 minutes.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2021 8:34 AM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Water maker hose in the Bahamas

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

JB Duler

Patrick,

Ask the local contractors or county officials where they get their tractors, bulldozers fixed. Any machine with hydraulics or large compressors must change their high pressure hoses on a regular basis. Believe me, they don't send the hoses back to the manufacturers. Small shops have the right fittings, the hoses and the small machine required to fit the hardware to the hose.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

Patrick,

Just make sure that the hydraulic hoses they use are not reinforced with any form of steel mesh. Many have a blue hose that is rated for high pressure and they can reuse your JIC fittings. They are expensive.

If they are steel reinforced the steel will rust and really mess up your watermaker.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of JB Duler
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2021 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Water maker hose in the Bahamas

Patrick,

Ask the local contractors or county officials where they get their tractors, bulldozers fixed. Any machine with hydraulics or large compressors must change their high pressure hoses on a regular basis. Believe me, they don't send the hoses back to the manufacturers. Small shops have the right fittings, the hoses and the small machine required to fit the hardware to the hose.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Bill Kinney

Pat,

I don’t have a specific answer for you, but if you are in Spanish Wells, you are surrounded by the Bahamas high seas lobster fishing fleet.  Every one of those boats has many hydraulic systems onboard. Just ask any of the locals, in our experience they are VERY helpful and friendly.  If they don’t know who does hydraulic repairs locally, they will point you to someone who does know.  I would very much expect a local can help, but the absolute WORST cast you’ll have to go to Freeport.

Hydraulic hoses suitable to replace your leaking HP hose are a very simple and inexpensive thing to source.  Having one shipped in will cost a mint.  

Before you have the hose replaced, be sure to examine the two fittings the hose connects to.  A common failure failure mode here is pitting corrosion of the mating surfaces of BOTH the hose and the fixed fitting.  If the fixed fitting is AT ALL corroded, scratched, cracked, or otherwise damaged it will need to be replaced as well from the same source.

If one hose has failed, it might be worth replacing the other one as well as a preventative matter.  

When installing the new fittings it is not good enough just get them “tight”. It is completely possible to over-tighten these and crack the sealing flare. Follow this procedure EXACTLY:

1. Assemble the fittings. Using Loctite on the sealing surface (not the threads!) is helpful, but not absolutely required. You can always add it later if it can’t be found locally.
  2. Screw down the female nut until finger-tight. At this point the seat is making contact. You can double-check by trying to wiggle the tube portion of the female fitting. You should not be able to feel any movement. If there is movement, try tightening the nut again while wiggling the tube. If the nut won't turn any further by hand, and things are still moving, look for the reason why the nut stopped short. 
  3. Mark the fittings. Using a permanent marker, draw a line on one flat of the hex on the male fitting and a matching line on the female nut (the two lines should line up). This is your reference mark. 
  4. Tighten the fittings. Using two wrenches to avoid torquing the fixed fitting, tighten the female nut 1/4 turn, or 1.5 hex flats. Check your reference marks to be certain that the nut has been tightened 1/4 turn. STOP.  If it leaks when this tight something is wrong and more torque is rarely the answer.
Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL 

Patrick McAneny

It turned out not to be such a problem to get a new hose made up as I feared. I contacted a hydraulic shop in Nassau owned by a guy named Justin. He made it up ,put it on the mailboat and had it by 830 the next morning. I wished all my problems were so quickly resolved. I have lost about 150 liters per hr. production unless I crank up the pressure a bit more than I had to before. I cleaned the pre filter,by that did not help. No big deal at least I am making water at 1500/Liters happy with that.
Thank everyone for their advice, I should have investigated a source before posting.
Thanks Again,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Eleuthera Bahamas 

Patrick McAneny

In my previous post ,I meant to say 150 liters/ hr. Although 1500 would be nice. Pat

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat, good to hear yu solved the issue so easily. But I am confused by your liters an hour.,1500. I have a 50l/hr Duo. I know others have 100. Perhaps you added too many 0s
I will take the opportunity to with you both a Happy New Year
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand 

On 02/01/2022 01:47 Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

It turned out not to be such a problem to get a new hose made up as I feared. I contacted a hydraulic shop in Nassau owned by a guy named Justin. He made it up ,put it on the mailboat and had it by 830 the next morning. I wished all my problems were so quickly resolved. I have lost about 150 liters per hr. production unless I crank up the pressure a bit more than I had to before. I cleaned the pre filter,by that did not help. No big deal at least I am making water at 1500/Liters happy with that.
Thank everyone for their advice, I should have investigated a source before posting.
Thanks Again,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Eleuthera Bahamas