Ultrasonic Wind Sensors

Mike Johnson

Happy New Year Everyone,

Our B&G wind-sensor has eventually expired (casing shattered whilst B&G attempted to replace bearing).

We are now considering replacing the unit with an ultrasonic wind sensor which would have the advantage of no moving parts also link into our NMEA 2000 backbone.

Has anyone refitted with an ultrasonic wind sensor and what has been the experience?

Appreciate the help.

Mike & Peta

Solitude
SM2k 461

Eloi Bamberg

Hello,
I refitted with the LCJ / CV7 with Windyplug.
CV7-WINDYPLUG - NMEA2000 ultrasonic wind vane-anemometer (lcjcapteurs.com)
works great, recommend it. You can reuse 2 of the mounting holes. With a small piece of aluminium you can prepare the mounting before you climb the mast, so no drilling at the mast top ;-)

Eloi
SM2K 426 RedLion

Ian Townsend

We installed an Airmar 220 WX two years ago. Very happy with its performance.

Ian & Margaret
Loca Lola II
SM153

On Jan 4, 2022, at 7:19 AM, Mike Johnson via groups.io <mike.k.johnson@...> wrote:

Happy New Year Everyone,

Our B&G wind-sensor has eventually expired (casing shattered whilst B&G attempted to replace bearing).

We are now considering replacing the unit with an ultrasonic wind sensor which would have the advantage of no moving parts also link into our NMEA 2000 backbone.

Has anyone refitted with an ultrasonic wind sensor and what has been the experience?

Appreciate the help.

Mike & Peta

Solitude
SM2k 461

Mike Johnson

Hi Eloi,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Do you get any interference with the VHF?

Very best wishes

Mike & Peta

Solitude
SM2k 461

On 4 Jan 2022, at 12:40, Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:

Hello,
I refitted with the LCJ / CV7 with Windyplug.
CV7-WINDYPLUG - NMEA2000 ultrasonic wind vane-anemometer (lcjcapteurs.com)
works great, recommend it. You can reuse 2 of the mounting holes. With a small piece of aluminium you can prepare the mounting before you climb the mast, so no drilling at the mast top ;-)

Eloi
SM2K 426 RedLion

Eloi Bamberg

No interferences with VHF nor AIS.

Eloi

Mike Johnson

Dear Eloi & Ian,

Thanks for the information. I will replace the B&G with an ultrasonic wind sensor.

Very best wishes

Mike & PETA

Solitude
SM2k 461

On 4 Jan 2022, at 13:58, Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:

No interferences with VHF nor AIS.

Eloi

Bill Kinney

Mike & Peta,

I used an Airmar WX220 on my old boat, and it worked fine.  This unit is not as accurate (especially with wind direction) as the B&G unit, but for must cruising boats that's not a big deal. The only time it can be a problem is when steering to the AWA while close hauled.  Under those conditions that +/-3 degree specification can be an issue.  The CV7 unit (which I have no personnel experience with) quotes a +/-1 degree accuracy for wind angle.  That would be better, for sure.

It was nice having all the extra weather data available from the WX220 on the NMEA network.  Don't expect the GPS to be very useful, especially for SOG.  The mast movement in a seaway is counted as boat speed, and results in some very odd data...

Overall a plus, and if we had to replace our B&G I'd consider an untrasonic unit again.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
For Lauderdale, FL, USA

Mike Johnson

Dear Bill,

Thank you for the positive view and realistic expectation of performance.

Kind regards

Mike & PETA

Solitude
SM2k 461

On 5 Jan 2022, at 00:03, Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

[...]

Adam Body

I see that lcjcapteurs has a wireless version: CV7SF2-WINDYPLUG – WIRELESS ULTRASONIC WIND SENSOR.  Has anyone got experience with this model??
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994